Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Portsmouth, VA Accepting Applications

Forum Member

Got a call from fire marshall who did my background to tell me they will be scheduling my polygraph soon. Good luck man, hope you hear soon

Forum Member

I got the call also! Told me should hear something in the next week or two for date of poly! Said still planning on Nov Oct academy

Forum Member

Scheduled my polygraph for Friday

Forum Member

How did everyone's poly go. Mine went well first I've ever done. Definitely nerve racking. He didn't say pass or fail but he said good job and I think we can work with this. He questions me on two questions but i think he was just trying to get me to slip up and say something else.

Forum Member

Anyone hear any news after polys??

Forum Member

Mine was Sat.

He wished me luck with the job so I assume that was good.

Said they ran the poly on 23 people. Chief said they were looking to hire 30 people, so odds are pretty good. Doubt we hear anything until end of OCT

For what it is worth, P-town just graduated a class last week, I think it was.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Pretty sure my current employer was called to verify my employment today.
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

Forum Member

I'm in this process as well and had a polygraph. From the sources I've spoke with our information should be in the hands of civil service by now. Also they polygraphed about 25 to 30 of us and are looking to put 25 to 30 in the academy in late oct early nov. Sounds like good odds to me on getting the job. . Also was told that they plan on polygraphing the other applicants as well but first wanted to put their top 30 into an academy ASAP. Supposedly a second academy will be starting around January. All of this info is hearsay but is from very good sources that have been on the money so far. As for the others left in this process, what kind if backgrounds do you have?

Forum Member

Medicoffire thanks for the info! And if what your source says is true we should be hearing something from civic service in the next week or two right? To give us time to prepare for the academy. My fingers are crossed that this is my shot. Good luck to everyone in the process and hopefully well be seeing you all soon!!

Forum Member

Hope so! I'm already trying to prepare for the academy just in case. Doing the eliptical, push ups, crunches, and lost weight the past 2 months. I don't know if I can fully prepare for the pt at the academy but I'm giving it a shot. Also having a captain or lt screaming at me during to will motivate me to do the best I possibly can. I'm sure they have fitness standards they expect from us but I'm doubtful it's day one.

Forum Member

Yeah im also doing conditioning for the academy, I meant prepare such as find housing give current employer notice that I'm leaving... Things like that

Forum Member

They don't do promotional interviews until oct 21 and they are not going to hire until those promotions are made and the spots are open up. I too have heard "late oct, early nov" I also heard it could be even later, just depends on the speed of which civil service does there deal. Hoping it's delayed a bit, got a lot of wood to chop on my conditioning.

Forum Member

anyone else employment or personally references get checked??

Forum Member

Interesting enough one if
    My references did get a call 2 days ago. Surprising to me. But he said to her he was tying up a few lose ends for the civil service. The two references that haven't been called now are PTown employees. My guess is that they will be talked to in person. The wait is the hardest part!

Forum Member

Good deal all 3 of mine as well as my employer have been contacted but none of them work for ptown so

Forum Member

Talked to someone I worked with. Informed me the civil service council will be meeting this Tues coming up. According to her, this would be the meeting when they vote on the hiring list. If they have any rejected candidates the fire dept would have a to appeal those candidates. Basically if this is true, the chief would end up with the list next week at some point.

Forum Member

Medicoffire what do you mean fire dept would have to appeal rejected candidates?

Forum Member

Boys, looks like we may be delayed a bit. Read about the lawsuit just filed by a bunch of PFD captains this week regarding overtime pay. That could throw a wrench in their upcoming promotion process which would delay next academy. Was with some PFD officers last night and they all agreed next academy could be pushed back, as little as a month or maybe I deeper into winter. Hang tough.

Forum Member

Why would it push it back? Sorry I don't know too much about the promotional process or how it would effect us. Do they have to do that, and have lawsuit settled before they start the academy?? Do you think civil service will at least advise us who will be in the academy?? I don't mind waiting. I've been testing and waiting for 5 years but it would be really awesome for civil service to let us know that were in the academy and just advise us that the start date is unknown ya know. Any thoughts?

Thread Information