Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Portsmouth, VA Accepting Applications

Forum Member

Hope so! I'm already trying to prepare for the academy just in case. Doing the eliptical, push ups, crunches, and lost weight the past 2 months. I don't know if I can fully prepare for the pt at the academy but I'm giving it a shot. Also having a captain or lt screaming at me during to will motivate me to do the best I possibly can. I'm sure they have fitness standards they expect from us but I'm doubtful it's day one.

Forum Member

Yeah im also doing conditioning for the academy, I meant prepare such as find housing give current employer notice that I'm leaving... Things like that

Forum Member

They don't do promotional interviews until oct 21 and they are not going to hire until those promotions are made and the spots are open up. I too have heard "late oct, early nov" I also heard it could be even later, just depends on the speed of which civil service does there deal. Hoping it's delayed a bit, got a lot of wood to chop on my conditioning.

Forum Member

anyone else employment or personally references get checked??
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

Forum Member

Interesting enough one if
    My references did get a call 2 days ago. Surprising to me. But he said to her he was tying up a few lose ends for the civil service. The two references that haven't been called now are PTown employees. My guess is that they will be talked to in person. The wait is the hardest part!

Forum Member

Good deal all 3 of mine as well as my employer have been contacted but none of them work for ptown so

Forum Member

Talked to someone I worked with. Informed me the civil service council will be meeting this Tues coming up. According to her, this would be the meeting when they vote on the hiring list. If they have any rejected candidates the fire dept would have a to appeal those candidates. Basically if this is true, the chief would end up with the list next week at some point.

Forum Member

Medicoffire what do you mean fire dept would have to appeal rejected candidates?

Forum Member

Boys, looks like we may be delayed a bit. Read about the lawsuit just filed by a bunch of PFD captains this week regarding overtime pay. That could throw a wrench in their upcoming promotion process which would delay next academy. Was with some PFD officers last night and they all agreed next academy could be pushed back, as little as a month or maybe I deeper into winter. Hang tough.

Forum Member

Why would it push it back? Sorry I don't know too much about the promotional process or how it would effect us. Do they have to do that, and have lawsuit settled before they start the academy?? Do you think civil service will at least advise us who will be in the academy?? I don't mind waiting. I've been testing and waiting for 5 years but it would be really awesome for civil service to let us know that were in the academy and just advise us that the start date is unknown ya know. Any thoughts?

Forum Member

Based on how they contacted new hires in the past I don't think we will hear anything until go time. I wouldn't worry too much. We all seem to be in a good position, just got to be patient. The whole thing is speculative and everyone involved seems to have varying opinions. We could get the call tomorrow for all we know

Forum Member

Okay thanks butterfire for all the info!!!

Forum Member

been quite on here last couple of days. anyone hear any new info? such as status of lawsuit filed by the captains?

Forum Member

Naw, I imagine that will drag out for a while, hoping it doesn't hold us up for too long. If that lawsuit holds up the promotions later this month we could be waiting a while longer

Forum Member

thanks butterfire that's what I figured. I'm sure you know how bad waiting sucks, so any info is better then no info! thanks again

Forum Member

From who I've spoke to the lawsuit was filed. But he unknown is the hiring process right now. They seem to the think are gonna rush us into the academy shortly and possibly hold off on the next round until the suit is settled. I'm kinda just hanging out and not stressing about it. From people that work in the service it seems like the call from HR comes out of the blue. Hoping that happens for all of us real soon. We will have to meet in the academy and talk about all this eagerness and waiting!

Forum Member

Medicoffire thanks for the info! And absolutely well have to get together possibly over some cold beverages!

Forum Member

Haha. No cold beverages for me. Not until I can pull off 3 miles in under 2 hours...haha...hang tough boys. It's gonna happen sooner than later

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterfire View Post
    Haha. No cold beverages for me. Not until I can pull off 3 miles in under 2 hours...haha...hang tough boys. It's gonna happen sooner than later
    That's probably better than my time right now. Seriously! I was training but was side tracked by a minor MVC. Anyway hopefully this week I'll hit the elipticle hard. A slow run usually isn't a problem for me. A slow run in our gear is a different story. Lol. I'll probably be the old man in the group if everything works out for us so I have to step it up!

Forum Member

Word of mouth is possible January academy?? Anyone confirm or deny this? Heard from someone on the job. Hope everyone is doing good stay safe!

Forum Member

Heard the same thing from a PFD employee this week. She said that she heard December hire/January Academy. That would not be so bad.

Forum Member

I spoke with the fire inspector last week. Told me the plan was still for late Oct, or early Nov academy. Also told me he was given he next 25 candidates to start the backgrounds on. That's a great sign for all of us! Anyway, I know some people in the department and they have also said they are gonna do a second academy in January on top of the oct/nov one. So, if that's the case we should hear something very soon!

Forum Member

yeah just wait and see i guess

Forum Member

I heard from a guy in the dept that they are starting us all off at 100k/yr

sweet

Forum Member

100k? Kinda on the low side but I guess ill deal!

Thread Information