Forum Member

Default Sutphen White Lake NY Factory

Does anyone have a Sutphen that was built at the White Lake NY factory? IF so any comments?

Forum Member

My previous VFD had the first truck to come out of that facility back in 2001 or so.

There was a paint issue, but that was later linkerd to defective product. Other than that, the truck was fine and is still in frontline srvice.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

I think that they build the Shield Series Pumper there and also some commercial chassis apparatus, are you looking to purchase a rig from the New York plant ?

Forum Member

We are going out to bid on a rescue pumper and have looked at a few manufactures, Sutphen being one of them. If awarded the bid our truck would come out of White Lake. We have looked at a few that were manufactured there and have not heard any complaints, however someone told us that the quality is not the same as apparatus assembled in Ohio. So I thought I would ask around on this site.

Forum Member

I would take a look at their door latch and window mechanisms, they are problematic because they aren't heavy enough, causing doors to be unable to be opened and the window cranks to fail. And we have had problems with the tank to pump line collapsing when pumping from the tank. Now they fixed it after the fact, but with Sutphen you have to look hard at fit and finish. All ours come out of the Ohio plants. They will fix them, but it's a PITA to deal with. Just do a good job spec'ing and make sure you do frequent inspections.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Sutphen NY Plant

Send a Private Message to " sven73 " he can help you out with any information you need about a Sutphen product !

Forum Member

Sutphen East doesn't in fact build the Shield Series pumper's, they do custom engine's and tankers. As far as the door latch issues and window regulators, it was all addressed in our latest engine we had built by them and there have been no issues with either of those. My department is all Sutphen and we have a 03 Custom Stainless Pumper that's never been OOS for any reason other than routine maintenance. If your interested in Sutphen, call a rep, they can honestly answer questions or concerns you may have.

Thread Information