Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BeachFFOBX

Thread: Psychological Examination - Fear of Fire?

Forum Member

Default Psychological Examination - Fear of Fire?

So, one of the questions on the psych exam asks if I am afraid of fire - true/false. Considering that I'm seeking a career in the fire service, I was genuinely stumped on how to respond. But I answered 'false.' Now I'm wondering if I just blew it with this one question. Someone I spoke to said that not having a fear of fire may indicate recklessness or something.

Do I have an overwhelming phobia of fire? No, I suppose not. But do I feel that I am impervious to fire? Certainly, not... So I have a healty respect of fire's power, usefulness, and potential danger. Is that a TRUE or FALSE?

To me, being 'afraid' of fire is like a police officer being afraid of firearms or a park ranger being afraid of snakes. Are firearms and snakes potentially dangerous and even deadly? Of course. But being afraid of these items would interfere with performing the duties of a cop/park ranger.

Anyway, some feedback would be greatly appreciated in case the shrink wants to probe a little further.

Forum Member

I had same question. I put false aswell. I would think being a firefighter ,you should respect fire and know its actions but not be a fraid of it.

I would have answered TRUE. Any firefighter that has been in this business for any amount of time will tell you that he/she is afraid of it. Any firefighter that tells you that they are NOT are either a bullschitter, a fool, stupid or all of the above.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I would have answered TRUE. Any firefighter that has been in this business for any amount of time will tell you that he/she is afraid of it. Any firefighter that tells you that they are NOT are either a bullschitter, a fool, stupid or all of the above.
    I totally see your point.

For context, there were other questions that asked if you were afraid of things like mice, snakes, lightning and even dirt. Granted both snakes and lightning have the potential to cause serious harm - yet I answered in the negative. The line of questioning seemed to suggest that they were probing for "phobias." At least that's how I interpreted the questions. And from that standpoint, I answered FALSE to the fire question.

Of course fire is incredibly dangerous and even deadly (and that can be frightening when confronting this amazing force of nature) - or why else would we need firefighters. But there are also people who are gripped by fear of fire or would second guess their want for the job because they are afraid of fire. I did not want to be lumped into that category.

Well, what's done is done now. All I can do is wait for the results and go from there.
    Last edited by laddernhook; 02-10-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Forum Member

Is it a pass or fail test? Or are they looking for trends? Being able to answer that question true or falso doesnt necessarily make you right or wrong. Now if a majority of your responses indicate that you have reckless tendencies that may cause for disqualification. Just think about like this; how many people before you have taken the same exam, and being that its true or false making it 50/50 Ill bet it almost comes out dead even.
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeachFFOBX View Post
    Is it a pass or fail test? Or are they looking for trends? Being able to answer that question true or falso doesnt necessarily make you right or wrong. Now if a majority of your responses indicate that you have reckless tendencies that may cause for disqualification. Just think about like this; how many people before you have taken the same exam, and being that its true or false making it 50/50 Ill bet it almost comes out dead even.
    Trends or pass/fail? Perhaps both. They didn't tell us much at all about the diagnostics. Based on the questioning, I think they are certainly looking for trends or profiles. But I would also bet that there are certain responses that would trigger an automatic disqualification (e.g., "I am frequently possessed by evil spirits"). That's an obvious one, of course.

Again, no biggie. Was just wondering if anyone had come across the kind of question in my OP.

Forum Member

Sorry bro I wish I knew more. Ill def keep my eyes and ears open for anyone with a know. I would bet that youll be fine, well unless of course you answered true to being possessed by evil spirits. Good luck on any further tests and exams.

Forum Member

I am not AFRAID of fire. I have a healthy respect for it. I am also not afraid of the ocean. I have a healthy respect for it too. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Like a previous pster said, they look for patterns. Some questions are distractors and mean nothing at all.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

I've been in plenty of fires of all kinds, and I'm not afraid of it. I respect it, and I'm well aware of what it can do, but that isn't fear.

I AM afraid of roofs caving in and floors falling out, of ****-poor light truss construction, of shady contractors who cut standpipes, of city inspectors who are on the take, and arsonists who might have left a booby trap, but I'm not afraid of fire.

Forum Member

I took the same test and was told I did fine. Said false to fear of fire just like you. I said true to one of the fear questions though, even Indiana Jones is afraid of snakes...

Thread Information