Forum Member

Default A Little Off Topic, Replacement 6 Inch LDH

Hi everyone, I'm looking for about 400 feet of used 6 inch LDH hose. I'm hoping someone here just received a AFG Grant for LDH hose replacement and might be looking for a good home for their old LDH hose. It's for a community project this spring, it involves attempting to clear up a small pond in the middle of our town. We have a group of citizens that are looking for donations to help off set the costs. The project will use a large pump to flow water over a flocculate material that will help settle out suspended solids in the pond. The hose can have some small leaks, threaded or storz couplings would be fine. If anyone has 400 feet of the 6 inch hose, please contact me.
    Thank you...

Forum Member

Is it a temporary setup? If not any of the hardware stores/chains would consider donating PVC if it was to be a permanent solution that needed to be piped. Seems to me knowing ponds and nature the solids will always get back in so a fountain/filtration system would always need to be in place to help keep it on the cleaner side.

Where are you at by the way? Might help narrow down the focus a little, we've done a lot of hose apps in recent years all over the country. Someone might have something nearby.

Forum Member

BC79er..I'll send you an email later today, explaining the project best I can.
    Thanks

Forum Member

No problem, but post your location here too so people can get a hold of you also.

Forum Member

Hi BC79er:
    Here is the link to our community project, our city is located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We have several Civil Engineers that are donating their services for the project. Part of the project that isn't spelled in the link below is how water will be moved over the flocculate or polymer material. That's where the 6 inch LDH hose comes into play. A large floating pump will be used and moved around the pond, so PVC pipe wouldn't be practical I understand.
    Please take a look at our cities project, please help out if you can in anyway.
    Thanks.
    http://ishpemingcity.org/our-city/la...croft-project/

MembersZone Subscriber

At the risk of sounding repetitious - Personally I would rather see any LDH available go to a needy FIRE DEPARTMENT for the protection of their patrons.

Have you asked the local FD there? They seem like a pretty progressive department that could share some hose. And are you sure about 400 feet of 6 inch? Seems a bit much for 500 GPM.

Forum Member

I'm with you Blake but I think since Poochy said they could use leaky stuff that won't pass hose tests that won't interfere with FDs receiving viable donations.

Maybe it's just because the 2nd cup of coffee hasn't kicked in yet but would have to agree the 6in hose is a lot of overkill for 500gpm. Surface area being a goal by using the 10in tubes that were mentioned, but 6in will barely inflate with only 500gpm in it. Lends itself to kinking and other issues, like clogging especially since the water has solid particles in it and will be recirculating. Same as oversized storm drains getting dirt, sticks, etc stuck because water rarely runs through them regulary in large quantities. I know there's some engineering types up there, but having been a student at one time of regular engineering before software, one of the best tips I ever got from one of my professors was that no amount of education in engineering will overcome common sense.

Forum Member

The 6 inch LDH is what the civil engineers involved in the project are looking for. I was simply trying to find some old hose that is past it's useful life. I wouldn't want anyone to donate good usable LDH hose that a fire department could use.
    Thanks

Thread Information