Thread: Disqualified

Forum Member

Default Disqualified

Today I got an email stating that I had been disqualified from a process. Lesson learned!!

heres what the email read:

I am writing you today to inform you that your application was disqualified and you are not eligible to advance to the next phase of the Plainfield Fire Territory hiring process. Reasons for disqualification include, but are not limited to, the following reasons:

Incomplete
    Required documents missing
    Does not meet minimum qualifications
    Poor driving record
    Criminal record
    Expired documents

All applications were thoroughly reviewed. In most cases, more than one of the above reasons applied. Inquiries about the specifics of your disqualification will not be accepted.

Heres the story- I live about 800 miles from the Department and emailed all my documentation. I asked for confirmation when I sent something, but they werent very good about letting me know it was recieved or not, just gave me a vague response, something to the affect of - yes i recieved or your last email, or I need more. I sent everything atleast twice, and yes I know I should sent a third time, but didnt want to be that guy...

Anyway my driving record was clean (the one i sent in), my criminal is clear, i have no expired documents, I am a medic and the application stated ability to obtain fire 2 in that specific state- so I was just waiting on reciprocity, which was also good. I thought I had covered all the bases. Apparently I missed something or they did a check and found something I am unaware of.

My suggestion to all you emailing your info- dont!! Mail it and have it certified!!

Anyone else ever have this issue, or get such a vague response in regards to application disqualify?? Sorry for any spelling mistakes.

Forum Member

Would not have emailed

Would have sent certified, signed receipt,

Also have someone else go through all paperwork and have them read what is requested to assure everything is there

Forum Member

Hind sight 20/20 I guess. It does make me rethink my approach to applying. Although I do plan on moving regardless, I shouldve have did some better planning and organizing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lesson learned about mailing documentation.
    Also sounds like it may have been a generic letter not necessarily specific to you.
    Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Lesson learned about mailing documentation.
    Also sounds like it may have been a generic letter not necessarily specific to you.
    Good luck!
    ffbam24- whats your opinion about generic letters? Do you think thats the departments way of thinning the group without effectively going through applications, or is it just the way it goes?

sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes

Forum Member

If you are really serious about testing with a department, even 800 miles away, I would make a point of visiting some stations. You could time it so you could hand deliver your info and get a recipt.
    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com

Forum Member

Reasons for disqualification include, but are not limited to, the following reasons:"""

we look through all the packets that come in. Now we do get more packets then people we want to move forward.

I do not know how our letter reads, but may be similar to what you got.

But also some people do not read every page of what they turn in, so we get incomplete documentation.

Or they do not bother to read the minimum qualifications and turn in very bad driving record that is an automatic disqualifier, so not much chocie in the matter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Reasons for disqualification include, but are not limited to, the following reasons:"""

we look through all the packets that come in. Now we do get more packets then people we want to move forward.

I do not know how our letter reads, but may be similar to what you got.

But also some people do not read every page of what they turn in, so we get incomplete documentation.

Or they do not bother to read the minimum qualifications and turn in very bad driving record that is an automatic disqualifier, so not much chocie in the matter.
    Fire49 thanks and I have another question for you- Considering I did not send in any disqualifying factors that I know of- My criminal record (the one that was specifically requested by the dept) was clean, my driving record ( both I ordered and sent in myself) were clean, I matched all the quals Paramedic in their state and the ability to attain Fire 1 and 2 certification. Do you think its possible they didnt get all the documents or is it more possible that there was something i put on my application that threw a flag??
    That would be strange considering they sent me a request for more info after reviewing my application...
    sorry for any spelling mistakes

Forum Member

Did you take a written test with them or other testing??

Or did they just disqualify you using the paperwork you submitted?

Forum Member

Disqualified me for the paperwork I did or didnt send it, remember I sent everything in PDF as requested via email, and even sent a second time after she stated not everything had been recieved. I asked again, but when I got no response, I felt as if I was annoying and did not want to be the guy to irritate the staff before they even meet me in person.

Capt Rob, I wish I wouldve, and I couldve. I was there in Feb to take the CPAT at a facility and second guessed myself about them already recieving my package. Again its probably silly of me, but I didnt want them to be like wtf, why does this send it so much shiiiiii.

Forum Member

maybe they weed out people prior to giving the written test??????

I think I would at least try one or two calls, to see if anyone will give you an answer, even though it says they will not.

not sure if we would go to email, our paperwork has to many pages involved.

Forum Member

Is there anything to lose? I know I have got something to gain, but it worries me that they may open back up soon and Ill be back in the process. Dont want them to frown on for once failing to follow simple direction. I will wait a few and maybe give them a call. thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeachFFOBX View Post
    Is there anything to lose? I know I have got something to gain, but it worries me that they may open back up soon and Ill be back in the process. Dont want them to frown on for once failing to follow simple direction. I will wait a few and maybe give them a call. thanks

I applied for Baltimore County last year and got disqualified during the app process. First time ever. Met all the standards and sent them everything they needed.

I sent an email stating how I thought this was in error.

They responded back with a copy of my app and apparently I checked a box saying I had a felony. Which I do not have. Opps.

Anyway wrote again to see if it would be held against me later because I had check it on accident. They say the would not. I don't know how big the dept you applied for is. But I would take a guess if they are a fair size they are not going to hold it against you in later processes.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

double post.
    RIP Hela

Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    I applied for Baltimore County last year and got disqualified during the app process. First time ever. Met all the standards and sent them everything they needed.

I sent an email stating how I thought this was in error.

They responded back with a copy of my app and apparently I checked a box saying I had a felony. Which I do not have. Opps.

Anyway wrote again to see if it would be held against me later because I had check it on accident. They say the would not. I don't know how big the dept you applied for is. But I would take a guess if they are a fair size they are not going to hold it against you in later processes.
    Did they specifically state that you shouldnt email or call them with questions about reasons why you were disqualified? Did you get a generalized email giving several reasons why they disqualified you? And if so had you already sent in documentation requested, after the application??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by marbuckle View Post
    keep in mind that depending on the size of the dept you are sending it to, they might have a mail room clerk that signs for everything, so they may sign for your certified paperwork, then it gets lost in the mix when it gets forwarded to Personnel. certified is not a guaranty.
    WRONG ANSWER. When a certified letter or parcel is accepted at the point of delivery (unless it is marked "recipient signature only" which in this case is not applicable as the Personnel Dept or HR Dept are the intended recipients versus a named person) it does not matter who signs for it, it is considered legally delivered on the date indicated on the green card. If it happens to get lost, thats their problem, not yours. I deal with certified letters practically every day in my job.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeachFFOBX View Post
    Did they specifically state that you shouldnt email or call them with questions about reasons why you were disqualified? Did you get a generalized email giving several reasons why they disqualified you? And if so had you already sent in documentation requested, after the application??

I can't remember if it send not to contact them. But it was just a generalized letter stated I wasn't qualified to move on to the written test.

If I were to write it would be something to the nature of. I understand you can't tell me why I am disqualify? I am honestly disappointed. To my knowledge I sent everything in and filled everything out possibly I filled out something incorrectly in error. I really do want to work for your dept. I know I can't change anything for this current process. My concern now is if this is going to disqualify me from future processes?

Just my thought.
    Last edited by Tipys; 02-16-2013 at 03:21 AM.
    RIP Hela

Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Check the email service you are using. Some providers, like Outlook, have an option that notifies you of when the email was opened by the recipient, almost like certified mail delivery. My preference would still usually be to mail any documents you could, but if the department requests email, you can at least know that someone on the other end opened it at some point.

Thread Information