Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BeachFFOBX

Thread: Any advice for a 33y/o FF looking for a gig!??

  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    OBX
    Posts
    63

    Default Any advice for a 33y/o FF looking for a gig!??

    Sounds pretty sad I am sure but heres my question for you guys/gals;

    As you can read I am 33 and in a few years will be 36- in the state of Indiana many departments only hire under 36 and do not consider you eligible if you are 36 on the date you are instated as firefighter, not necessarily badged up, but hired! I have a DUI on my record that prevents me from working at several departments- the DUI is 3 years old now and I am currently drug and alcohol free (2 years ) not that it makes a difference when looking at applications. What are my chances in getting a job? I am a certified Paramedic Nationally, North Carolina, Indiana, Virginia , certified Fire 1 and 2 IFSAC. I currently am a firefighter in NC but moving to Indiana, the Indianapolis metro area.

    Any advice??? Thanks everyone


    sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,874

    Default

    Well a few hits against you

    Test at any department you can apply at and see what happens

    Stay out of anymore trouble

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    OBX
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Thanks for the advice

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    276

    Default

    For what it's worth, I think the age thing is much more of an issue than the DUI. Time can heal wounds like a DUI, but the Indiana law doesn't allow for that. Is the destination of Indiana already determined? Many states don't have age laws in place and you would then have a great chance of living clean and showing a pattern of good behavior proving to prospective employers that you simply made a stupid, isolated mistake. I'm not sure 2-4 years is enough, though. But, like fire49 said, all you can do is test anywhere you can and be honest throughout the process.
    Last edited by Hewartson47; 02-16-2013 at 01:34 PM.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Advice is don't quit your job, you are lucky to have one with your history with the way most look at dui's

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    I hate the term "gig" this is a career.. Something you work toward every day to be better.. It's an investment in time, money, sanity, and in some cases your life..

    Maybe you should re-phrase it to how do I get a firefighter "job" or "career". A gig is something a band does in a small bar.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    OBX
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Thanks for the insight- I used gig as quick reference to spark peoples thought process and hopefully get some feedback. I am well aware of the investment it takes, and what people would give to do it. I am sorry that you hate the word gig!
    sb2203 likes this.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    OBX
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    For what it's worth, I think the age thing is much more of an issue than the DUI. Time can heal wounds like a DUI, but the Indiana law doesn't allow for that. Is the destination of Indiana already determined? Many states don't have age laws in place and you would then have a great chance of living clean and showing a pattern of good behavior proving to prospective employers that you simply made a stupid, isolated mistake. I'm not sure 2-4 years is enough, though. But, like fire49 said, all you can do is test anywhere you can and be honest throughout the process.
    I agree with you. Yes Indiana is set in stone, I have made a family desicion to move there. It is whats best for my family and now a days its more important to have my children in a more family oriented enviornment, and if that means giving up firefighting than thats what I have to do. Not something I am super excited about doing, but something that is necessary.

    I have found a few possiblities and I am going to continue to pursue them as long as I can. If it doesnt happen than I will be disappointed but thats the way it goes.

    Thanks for your insight

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    OBX
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceJayhawk View Post
    Advice is don't quit your job, you are lucky to have one with your history with the way most look at dui's
    I honestly believe many departments wouldnt give a hoot about duis if insurance wasnt so costly. It is def not a good thing to have on ones record, but its a "career killer" for many. I have heard from a few friends that there are guys on several departments in the area that have one, sometimes even two offenses and they are still around. I guess once youre on youre good. My department would fire me if I were to get a DUI now, but they have been able to look past it, due to need, and my ablility to change.

    As I said earlier, I have to leave, its a family move. I am done being selfish. Theres more to life than just firefighting. Its an amazing job, but it isnt my heartbeat. Ill do what I can until I am too old to be hired on anywhere...

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeachFFOBX View Post
    I honestly believe many departments wouldnt give a hoot about duis if insurance wasnt so costly. It is def not a good thing to have on ones record, but its a "career killer" for many. I have heard from a few friends that there are guys on several departments in the area that have one, sometimes even two offenses and they are still around. I guess once youre on youre good. My department would fire me if I were to get a DUI now, but they have been able to look past it, due to need, and my ablility to change.

    As I said earlier, I have to leave, its a family move. I am done being selfish. Theres more to life than just firefighting. Its an amazing job, but it isnt my heartbeat. Ill do what I can until I am too old to be hired on anywhere...

    Are you going to live near another state line??? If so maybe also looking into living in Indiana and working in another state

    With the work schedule it is doable

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,874

    Default

    Also look for a bridge program paramedic to RN

    RN pay is great and many different fields besides hospitals to work in

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    OBX
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Are you going to live near another state line??? If so maybe also looking into living in Indiana and working in another state

    With the work schedule it is doable
    I have been. Actually looked at a few departments in Ohio, and several in North near Chicago, what are the chances Chicago would hire me?? I am currently going to apply at Evansville, theyre looking for a firefighter recruit. I wouldnt mind going back through recruit school and getting some education. Ill look in the Bridge program as well. In your opinion what do you think about fire jobs outside of actual firefighting. I do have a degree...

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,874

    Default

    There are safety jobs, fire sprinkler work , fire alarm work etc

    Can not talk to depts up that way

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    OBX
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    There are safety jobs, fire sprinkler work , fire alarm work etc

    Can not talk to depts up that way
    Why can not talk to depts up that way??

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,874

    Default

    Meant to say

    I do not know anything about fd's up north, so I cannot talk about them

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    OBX
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Meant to say

    I do not know anything about fd's up north, so I cannot talk about them

    Thats what I thought but wasnt positive. Again I do appreciate the insight

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for a job and advice
    By zethra09 in forum Probie House: The Place for Newbies
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 06:04 PM
  2. advice
    By galice in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2009, 12:02 PM
  3. Looking for some advice.
    By RYAN88 in forum Federal & Military Firehouse Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2009, 10:56 PM
  4. Looking for advice.
    By scad3045 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2007, 05:49 PM
  5. Need Help And Advice!!
    By rbb400 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 10:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts