Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BeachFFOBX

Thread: Any advice for a 33y/o FF looking for a gig!??

Forum Member

Default Any advice for a 33y/o FF looking for a gig!??

Sounds pretty sad I am sure but heres my question for you guys/gals;

As you can read I am 33 and in a few years will be 36- in the state of Indiana many departments only hire under 36 and do not consider you eligible if you are 36 on the date you are instated as firefighter, not necessarily badged up, but hired! I have a DUI on my record that prevents me from working at several departments- the DUI is 3 years old now and I am currently drug and alcohol free (2 years ) not that it makes a difference when looking at applications. What are my chances in getting a job? I am a certified Paramedic Nationally, North Carolina, Indiana, Virginia , certified Fire 1 and 2 IFSAC. I currently am a firefighter in NC but moving to Indiana, the Indianapolis metro area.

Any advice??? Thanks everyone

sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes

Forum Member

Well a few hits against you

Test at any department you can apply at and see what happens

Stay out of anymore trouble

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice

MembersZone Subscriber

For what it's worth, I think the age thing is much more of an issue than the DUI. Time can heal wounds like a DUI, but the Indiana law doesn't allow for that. Is the destination of Indiana already determined? Many states don't have age laws in place and you would then have a great chance of living clean and showing a pattern of good behavior proving to prospective employers that you simply made a stupid, isolated mistake. I'm not sure 2-4 years is enough, though. But, like fire49 said, all you can do is test anywhere you can and be honest throughout the process.
    Last edited by Hewartson47; 02-16-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Forum Member

Advice is don't quit your job, you are lucky to have one with your history with the way most look at dui's

Forum Member

I hate the term "gig" this is a career.. Something you work toward every day to be better.. It's an investment in time, money, sanity, and in some cases your life..

Maybe you should re-phrase it to how do I get a firefighter "job" or "career". A gig is something a band does in a small bar.

Forum Member

Thanks for the insight- I used gig as quick reference to spark peoples thought process and hopefully get some feedback. I am well aware of the investment it takes, and what people would give to do it. I am sorry that you hate the word gig!
    sb2203 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    For what it's worth, I think the age thing is much more of an issue than the DUI. Time can heal wounds like a DUI, but the Indiana law doesn't allow for that. Is the destination of Indiana already determined? Many states don't have age laws in place and you would then have a great chance of living clean and showing a pattern of good behavior proving to prospective employers that you simply made a stupid, isolated mistake. I'm not sure 2-4 years is enough, though. But, like fire49 said, all you can do is test anywhere you can and be honest throughout the process.
    I agree with you. Yes Indiana is set in stone, I have made a family desicion to move there. It is whats best for my family and now a days its more important to have my children in a more family oriented enviornment, and if that means giving up firefighting than thats what I have to do. Not something I am super excited about doing, but something that is necessary.

I have found a few possiblities and I am going to continue to pursue them as long as I can. If it doesnt happen than I will be disappointed but thats the way it goes.

Thanks for your insight

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceJayhawk View Post
    Advice is don't quit your job, you are lucky to have one with your history with the way most look at dui's
    I honestly believe many departments wouldnt give a hoot about duis if insurance wasnt so costly. It is def not a good thing to have on ones record, but its a "career killer" for many. I have heard from a few friends that there are guys on several departments in the area that have one, sometimes even two offenses and they are still around. I guess once youre on youre good. My department would fire me if I were to get a DUI now, but they have been able to look past it, due to need, and my ablility to change.

As I said earlier, I have to leave, its a family move. I am done being selfish. Theres more to life than just firefighting. Its an amazing job, but it isnt my heartbeat. Ill do what I can until I am too old to be hired on anywhere...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeachFFOBX View Post
    I honestly believe many departments wouldnt give a hoot about duis if insurance wasnt so costly. It is def not a good thing to have on ones record, but its a "career killer" for many. I have heard from a few friends that there are guys on several departments in the area that have one, sometimes even two offenses and they are still around. I guess once youre on youre good. My department would fire me if I were to get a DUI now, but they have been able to look past it, due to need, and my ablility to change.

As I said earlier, I have to leave, its a family move. I am done being selfish. Theres more to life than just firefighting. Its an amazing job, but it isnt my heartbeat. Ill do what I can until I am too old to be hired on anywhere...

Are you going to live near another state line??? If so maybe also looking into living in Indiana and working in another state

With the work schedule it is doable

Forum Member

Also look for a bridge program paramedic to RN

RN pay is great and many different fields besides hospitals to work in

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Are you going to live near another state line??? If so maybe also looking into living in Indiana and working in another state

With the work schedule it is doable
    I have been. Actually looked at a few departments in Ohio, and several in North near Chicago, what are the chances Chicago would hire me?? I am currently going to apply at Evansville, theyre looking for a firefighter recruit. I wouldnt mind going back through recruit school and getting some education. Ill look in the Bridge program as well. In your opinion what do you think about fire jobs outside of actual firefighting. I do have a degree...

Forum Member

There are safety jobs, fire sprinkler work , fire alarm work etc

Can not talk to depts up that way

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    There are safety jobs, fire sprinkler work , fire alarm work etc

Can not talk to depts up that way
    Why can not talk to depts up that way??

Forum Member

Meant to say

I do not know anything about fd's up north, so I cannot talk about them

Forum Member