Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By FWDbuff
  • 1 Post By FF715MRFD
  • 1 Post By Miller337
  • 1 Post By Bones42

Thread: Scott pak problem

Forum Member

Lightbulb Scott pak problem

Hello all, I have been a volly for 8 years now. and ever since I first put on the scott pak(7 years ago) I have had this issue. My helmet seems to hit the bottle when crawling and looking up. I changed my helmet to several types and it still seems to make contact. I even tried to don it lower and it rides up and limits my use, searching, roof work. everything. Neighboring company uses a Different brand of a SCBA. the name I am unsure at this time. but it seems to work better for me. does anyone else seem to be having this problem as well? any pointers you can give, I am willing to try everything its starting to **** me off.

thanks ahead of time!

Forum Member

Sounds to me like you are wearing the Scott Pack too high on your back. Try donning it with the waist strap real low, where it belongs, and tighten that up real tight, then snug your shoulder straps.

Or you can just put a Bronx Bend in your helmet like every other kid these days does.
    Picc.93Truck likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

or join the neighboring dept.

Forum Member

As FWDBuff said, Your wearing your Scott Pack a little too high, try wearing it lower. sometimes when I crank it high up for longer operations it tends to limit my movement in that way.
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

What model Scott SCBA and bottle size does your FD employ? Often all the older 2.2's or the 4.5's with the 60 minute cylinders caused this issue on people with short to medium torso lengths.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I am 5'6" tall, have worn a traditional style helmet the majority of my 36 years in the fire service, and I can honestly say this has NEVER been an issue for me. Especially now when the air-pak is supposed to be carried on your hips with the should straps primarily holding it tight to the body and secondarily holding it up.

Throughout my time as a firefighter and an instructor i have used Scott Pak 1 with 1800 psi steel bottles, Scott Pak II & II-A, Scott Pak 2216, Scott Pak AP-50 in both 2216 and 4500 psi, with 30 and 45 minute bottles, MSA belt mounted regulator with 2216 bottles, MSA Firehawks with 30, 45 and 60 minute 4500 psi bottles, Draeger with 30 minute 4500 bottles, Globe with a 2216 bottle, Cairns with a 30 minute 4500 psi bottle, and I have never had the problem of banging my helmet on the bottle.

My opinion is you are hiking the pak too high on your shoulders. The other possibility is your neighbors have light weight bottles and your FD doesn't and this is your back door way of complaining about that!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

we are using 2.2 and 4.5 with 2216 carbon bottles. 30 min. I wont join the other dept, im a officer where im at now and its just to far of a drive for calls. 10 miles compared to just one. I tried wearing them lower it helps but the pak just dont feel right. ill fuss with it a bit more.

Forum Member

I have the exact same problem and it's because I have a very short torso. I've learned to wear the pack as low as I possibly can. It was a bit akward at first and took some getting used to but it has made a huge difference in mobility for me. This worked for both our old 2.2's with 30 minute steel bottles and our new NxG2's with 60 minute carbon wrapped bottles. You just need to keep working with it until you find the way it works for you the best.
    thefentch likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefentch View Post
    we are using 2.2 and 4.5 with 2216 carbon bottles. 30 min. I wont join the other dept, im a officer where im at now and its just to far of a drive for calls. 10 miles compared to just one. I tried wearing them lower it helps but the pak just dont feel right. ill fuss with it a bit more.
    Turn your helmet around.
    Picc.93Truck likes this.

Forum Member

Stop crawling. Duck walk instead.
    Picc.93Truck likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Cut a notch in your helmet to allow it to fit

Thread Information