Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MidazoWHAM!
  • 1 Post By RideBackwards

Thread: What was the most difficult part of your academy or initial training as a firefighter

Forum Member

Default What was the most difficult part of your academy or initial training as a firefighter

What was the most difficult part of your academy or initial training as a firefighter?

Forum Member

For me it was the lack of recovery time. 6 month academy, 50+ hour weeks, PT in the morning and practicals during the day. Left very little time to nurse any wounds and rest my bones.
    gtcaptain2 and RideBackwards like this.

Forum Member

^^^^

agreed

Forum Member

Ya, recovery time sucked. I had to drive 50 miles each way every day for the academy as well.. that got long.

Dealing with some of the other recruits became tiresome as well. That many alpha males in one place tends to create some friction. It's worth it in the end though. Best job in the world.

Forum Member

Realizing and accepting how little I actually knew about fire fighting.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post

That too. Although I don't think that ever goes away.

Forum Member

Lol I like that one. It feels that way everytime we hold training

Forum Member

Any tips to have a smoother academy?

-Dave

Forum Member

What academy are you attending?

Forum Member

Keep your mouth shut and your ears open. It doesn't matter how much you learned from a prior department, you are a potential member of the one you're training for. Don't try to over impress people with your knowledge, no one likes a know-it-all. Try your best in whatever you're doing, most times the instructors wont get on you if you're going 100% Like stated above you're in a class with Type A personalities (Alpha males) and it does get tiring to be around that constantly but part of any academy is learning to adapt and overcome any situation. If you think the academies filled with strong personalities, wait till you get on the line. Try and absorb as much as you can and don't be afraid to ask for help if you are struggling with something. Learn the true meaning of teamwork and that you rely on others to do their job to keep you alive when it hits the fan, others are relying on you to do yours. Mainly, just try and be the best for your department. Sorry if I got a little preachy but just remember you're a part of the best job in the world now and the learning never stops. Congrats on getting where so many want to be. Good luck brother
    ColoradoDave likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RideBackwards View Post
    Keep your mouth shut and your ears open. It doesn't matter how much you learned from a prior department, you are a potential member of the one you're training for. Don't try to over impress people with your knowledge, no one likes a know-it-all. Try your best in whatever you're doing, most times the instructors wont get on you if you're going 100% Like stated above you're in a class with Type A personalities (Alpha males) and it does get tiring to be around that constantly but part of any academy is learning to adapt and overcome any situation. If you think the academies filled with strong personalities, wait till you get on the line. Try and absorb as much as you can and don't be afraid to ask for help if you are struggling with something. Learn the true meaning of teamwork and that you rely on others to do their job to keep you alive when it hits the fan, others are relying on you to do yours. Mainly, just try and be the best for your department. Sorry if I got a little preachy but just remember you're a part of the best job in the world now and the learning never stops. Congrats on getting where so many want to be. Good luck brother

Preach!! lol I agree, I think this also can rollover into actually working at your house, on the engine, or on the box. It doesnt matter what you know, where you learned it, or the last time, what matters is now and who youre working with today. Make sure you give it your all, dont give up, dont ever give up, and dont quit unless your out of air and then keep going. Other than that follow directions, dont talk back, study, work, and last but not least youre a team member not a hero.

Forum Member

I'm worried about this and the physical part. I was talking to another firefighter and he said that you may think you are in top physical condition but you aren't.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MidazoWHAM! View Post
    For me it was the lack of recovery time. 6 month academy, 50+ hour weeks, PT in the morning and practicals during the day. Left very little time to nurse any wounds and rest my bones.
    This right here.

Forum Member

My 23 week recruit school was very physical (lots of running). If your not the best runner start running in your free time. The biggest thing in recruit school is don't quit, if they see you give up on something they will ride you hard.

Forum Member

I was worried about it too and I got through. Don't stress to much, just be as prepared as you can be.

KTF
    Forum Member

Not sleeping enough.

Forum Member

Tower Tuesdays! =)

Like KTF said, you'll run low on sleep by default. Try to get rest though; you can always dig in and make your body push through it, but a tired brain will turn you into an idiot in the classroom, and nobody wants a firefighter that can't think.

Thread Information