Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By scfire86

Thread: What is the buisiest california fire dept.?

Forum Member

Default What is the buisiest california fire dept.?

Hi all! I am an explorer in Northern California and i am doing research on prospective fire depts I would want to apply for. I am looking for a dept that has a good number of buisy houses, and a relatively big dept. I would like to find a dept in Norcal if I can!! I will apppresciate any and all info! Thanks!

Forum Member

I would suspect it's probably LA City, LA County or San Fransisco. Oakland may be in the mix as well.

My suggestion would be to do a little old fashioned research on the net and explore some the biggest city departments, as well maybe Orange County as well, and see what you come up with.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Any of the larger old cities will have busy houses, Oakland, San Francisco, Sacramento, Stockton, Fresno, Los Angeles, Long Beach, San Diego etc.

Don't overlook some of the smaller departments though, Richmond and Compton for example are not all that large, but they are very busy.

It depends on what you consider Northern, CA too, some run that all the way down to Fresno, others just south of Monterey, and some cut it off north of the SF Bay Area. For that last one there are no large cities north of Sacramento / Santa Rosa. Redding, Chico and Yuba City being about the only ones larger than 50,000.
    Last edited by Here and there; 02-19-2013 at 02:11 AM.

Forum Member

may have some info you are looking for

http://www.firehouse.com/magazine/fh/annual-run-survey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Here and there View Post
    Any of the larger old cities will have busy houses, Oakland, San Francisco, Sacramento, Stockton, Fresno, Los Angeles, Long Beach, San Diego etc.
    What the hell is a Fresno?
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    What the hell is a Fresno?

Spanish for Ash Tree

500,000 residents or so, 24 stations. I would assume that fits the criteria for an older large city.

I'm a bit at a loss for your comment other than I assume an inside joke I'm missing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Here and there View Post
    Spanish for Ash Tree
    So it is possible that I could have a "Modesto Fresno" growing in my front yard? That's crazy
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    So it is possible that I could have a "Modesto Fresno" growing in my front yard? That's crazy
    Even crazier you could have one struck by lightning and then make a baseball bat out of it. Then you could hit awesome home runs with your bat called the "Wonder Boy." Etched with a big lightning bolt on it.
    Last edited by scfire86; 01-05-2014 at 03:29 PM.
    detroitfire1552 likes this.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

I can guarantee that if you want to fight fire, apply with CAL FIRE or USFS and you will fight more fire then any municipal department. You will primarily fire wildland fires but you will likely see a lot of fire. It won't be sexy and it will be hard work. CAL FIRE is an all risk fire department so you will also be responding on structure fires, vehicle fires, haz mat and medical emergencies. You will start off as a seasonal firefighter. Some like the job and some don't. Just giving you another option.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies. I have looked at CAL FIRE and I am thinking to do that while im in college as a seasonal. the poeple i have talked to have mixed feelings as well. I would like to get into a municipal dept after college. I would say for me, anywhere above Monteray/San Luis Obispo is a prospective area to be looking at for depts. I like Sac Metro FD but im not sure how buisy they are. They have a big dept.
    I also looked into Fairfield FD in Solano Co, They are small but im not sure how buisy. How is San luis obispo FD? Are they relatively buisy/good? I like the area. Thanks again, all the help is greatly appreciated!!!

Forum Member

Sacramento Metro is very busy, however really hard to get hired. They only hire firefighter/paramedics. Fairfield Fire I grew up out there and they are not that busy because there's literally 3 different fire departments in a 5 mile span (suisun city and suisun fire protection district plus Fairfield city and cordelia fire district is also nearby). My word of advice, its harder to get in the bigger departments because thousands of others have the same mind set as you. Start at a smaller department and try getting hired full time to gain experience then lateral over to a bigger department later on.

Forum Member

Also remember that while some departments may be busier with total run volume, the individual units may be busier at a smaller department.

Either way, you're probably talking about the larger, and then poorer cities if you want busy. NorCal it's probably San Francisco or Oakland.

Forum Member

I applied to many Cal-Fire units for this season. I choose to do this over volunteering a year while getting my EMT. Reason is, because I get immediate training and much needed experience AND get paid. After the season ends I will take the EMT course and then prepare to apply full time.

Hopefully, I will get the job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFMATTHEWS View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I have looked at CAL FIRE and I am thinking to do that while im in college as a seasonal. the poeple i have talked to have mixed feelings as well. I would like to get into a municipal dept after college. I would say for me, anywhere above Monteray/San Luis Obispo is a prospective area to be looking at for depts. I like Sac Metro FD but im not sure how buisy they are. They have a big dept.
    I also looked into Fairfield FD in Solano Co, They are small but im not sure how buisy. How is San luis obispo FD? Are they relatively buisy/good? I like the area. Thanks again, all the help is greatly appreciated!!!
    San Luis Obispo's mnemonic is perfect for them. SLOw. Beautiful town and area that you won't be able to afford to live in. I think they're CalFire, and you pretty much have to have someone leave you that job in their will.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

We carry a ladder called "Fresno".
    Hard for my size 15 boon-Dockers to climb, but not impossible.
    12 foot extension ladder one foot-width wide. Useless today, except for the "Hasty Booger" LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    I applied to many Cal-Fire units for this season. I choose to do this over volunteering a year while getting my EMT. Reason is, because I get immediate training and much needed experience AND get paid. After the season ends I will take the EMT course and then prepare to apply full time.

Hopefully, I will get the job.
    So, you decided to put off additional education and experience in the hopes that you MIGHT get a job? You are competing against others who already have their EMT and much more education and experience. I hope that plan works out for you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Generic View Post
    So, you decided to put off additional education and experience in the hopes that you MIGHT get a job? You are competing against others who already have their EMT and much more education and experience. I hope that plan works out for you.
    I already have a really good job. I have 2 years Fire Science and already have been a vol over a year and have other certs as well. As soon as the season is over I will get the EMT during the offseason.

I applied anyway.

Forum Member

I work for an urban SoCal department, in an low income city of just over 100,000 citizens. We have four stations and run just under 10,000 annual calls, 5,500 of those being out of our downtown station. I never thought I would enjoy it as much as I do. It's an old city so it burns more then most and with only four companies you are pretty much guaranteed to work every fire on your shift. The cartels and gangs in our city ensure that when we aren't getting fire, we are staying busy with legit ems jobs that never disappoint. I saw more fire and got more experience in my probation year then most of my buddies got in five years at larger more suburban depts.

When I was younger I saw myself at a larger dept and didn't think I would stay long here, but three years later I couldn't imagine working anywhere else. I am sure as I mature in my career my views will change and a slower more stable department will become appealing, but for now I love staying proficient with my firefighter and medic skills by getting to so frequently utilize them.

In the end just find the dept that fits you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ruffneck View Post
    We carry a ladder called "Fresno".
    Hard for my size 15 boon-Dockers to climb, but not impossible.
    12 foot extension ladder one foot-width wide. Useless today, except for the "Hasty Booger" LOL
    We have them on every one of our rigs...go figure. We just refer to them as the attic ladder.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFPilot View Post
    I work for an urban SoCal department, in an low income city of just over 100,000 citizens. We have four stations and run just under 10,000 annual calls, 5,500 of those being out of our downtown station. I never thought I would enjoy it as much as I do. It's an old city so it burns more then most and with only four companies you are pretty much guaranteed to work every fire on your shift. The cartels and gangs in our city ensure that when we aren't getting fire, we are staying busy with legit ems jobs that never disappoint. I saw more fire and got more experience in my probation year then most of my buddies got in five years at larger more suburban depts.

When I was younger I saw myself at a larger dept and didn't think I would stay long here, but three years later I couldn't imagine working anywhere else. I am sure as I mature in my career my views will change and a slower more stable department will become appealing, but for now I love staying proficient with my firefighter and medic skills by getting to so frequently utilize them.

In the end just find the dept that fits you.
    El Cajon? Irvine? Victorville???
    IAFF

Thread Information