D26
    Forum Member

Default Ohio to Michigan Reciprocity / Challenge

I am interested in becoming a firefighter for the state of Michigan. I am currently in the process of becoming an EMT/Paramedic and Level I & II Firefighter for the state of Ohio. I am enrolled at my community college of "Cuyahoga Community College" (Cleveland).

The training academy that I will be attending is a 260 hour course. Training includes topics related to the requirements established by the Ohio Revised Code for Career Fire Fighters and the training and educational requirements identified in NFPA 1001.

I am looking for information on reciprocity for Michigan Firefighter Level II Certification. Am I able to get reciprocity without having to take/challenge the Michigan Firefighter Level I & II test (if I have my Ohio Firefighter Level I & II cert) ?

Forum Member

Best thing to do is call them direct, that way you get it direct

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,...325---,00.html

Not sure what 8 B means???::

http://www.mpffu.org/docs/LivoniaFir...ning011713.pdf

Forum Member

Michigan does not have reciprocity for firefighter. I also came from another state with a boat load of certifications. Michigan does not accept any from out of state. You can challenge the FF II exam but you have to be sponsored by a Michigan fire department. Your only other option is to repeat a FFI & II course at a college level program, or attend a fire academy open to the public. Grand Rapids Fire Department operates a regional training center that will get you FF I & II , and Michigan Hazmat Ops. It is open to the public, but the cost can be prohibitive for some. Where were you trying to get hired at in Michigan?

D26
    Forum Member

Grand Rapids or anywhere near GR is the dream, or even Traverse City. Not Lansing and not Detroit.

Can you tell me a little more about what you did?

My plan is to work in the Cleveland area a few years to build experience. Then to start applying to departments around Grand Rapids. I would like to challenge the exam once sponsored by a Michigan Department. Is this possible or will they look at an out of stater as a waste of time to sponsor?

(I am 22 now and will be 24 when I am finished with all my training)

Forum Member

Any volunteer you can volunteer at that would sponsor you??

Forum Member

The only way to get a sponsor is to live in Michigan near a volunteer department that will allow you to challenge the test as a member of the department. It is not easy to find one that will. Grand Rapids public academy is your best shot. I went through there, got my
    certs and landed a job with GRFD. You have to score in top 5% to have a shot and study hard. GR will not be hiring until after 2015 most likely. We will soon have 50 plus people retire by then. Just depends on what staffing will look like as to when we hire again. If this area is where you want to be you need to get your Michigan certs now and try to find a smaller department in the area to get on and keep your certs until the next hiring process. Don't waste time in Ohio if west Michigan is your goal.

Forum Member

Greetings,

My name is Bill Hicks and I am in my 18th year in the fire service, and currently serve as a fire chief. I am also a doctoral candidate at Eastern Kentucky University and my dissertation topic involves investigating the current status of firefighter reciprocity among the 50 states. I am seeking members of the fire service who may have experience in moving from state to state and seeking reciprocity, or recognition of certification issued by your old state, in a new state. Also, if you came from the military and sought reciprocity for DOD certificates, I would like to hear from you as well. If you have not experienced this, please forward the link below to anyone who you may know that has done this.

For those that have such experiences, I am humbly asking you to give 5 minutes of your time to answer a short series of question found at the link below on your experiences with seeking reciprocity, or recognition when you moved from one state to another, regardless of being paid or volunteer members in your department.

Also at the end of the survey you will have a space to share any experiences you may have had when dealing with reciprocity of fire service certifications in your department and with your state. Also feel free to forward this to any fire service member(s) who you feel would have something to say on the topic.

Your anonymity is protected throughout the process. Just click or copy the link below to begin.

https://ekussem.co1.qualtrics.com/SE...Z1aVMb9w1QhYtD

Also, if you would like to share your experiences with me in more depth after taking part in the survey, please leave your email in the beginning of the comments section at the end of the survey.

Thread Information