Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ktb9780
  • 2 Post By LVFD301

Thread: Potential Funding Cut Soap Box thread....

Forum Member

Default Potential Funding Cut Soap Box thread....

Just to have all of our stuff in one spot, figured I'd start this one instead of using up the Waiting Room.

<soapbox>
    Maybe it's just me, but rather than cut the programs that actually benefit people, how about we start making cuts to the aid that is knowingly provided to those that are not of legal status? Pretty sure that would make up the deficit and probably help unemployment rates a bit by encouraging those to leave that aren't legal workers. The US economy isn't strong enough (and should never be considered strong enough) to have citizens out of work while those that aren't here legally are working either above or below the table.

This is not a personal or racial or any other sort of attack, it's a non-emotional statement. I know many people and have many friends that have skirted the process to be here and are now legitimate residents and/or citizens. They all worked hard to get to that point, never skipped on taxes, and were positive contributors to society. My issue is with incarcerating and reincarcerating those that have committed crimes as non-legal residents, and also those that just show up and demand welfare without making an attempt to work and contribute to the system they want benefits from. Because of this, legitimate residents are suffering, and beneficial programs are too.

The Public Safety Grants run by our federal government are among the few that exclusively benefit US interests including responders, their communities, and those they do business with. We could easily fund the Fire Grants at double their highest levels and bring the station grants back if we stopped putting money in a half-dozen overseas grant programs alone, even without touching the legal/illegal resident argument. Personally I would like to start with cutting overseas grants since it's probably one of the few things everyone can agree on, and a lot easier to push through since there's probably no emotional attachment to the argument for doing it, which isn't the case with immigration. Anyway, just one man's opinion, and worth every bit of the paper it isn't written on....
    </soapbox>

Forum Member

Couldnt agree more!

MembersZone Subscriber

Agree...First cut all, or almost all foreign aid. Then programs that pay abled bodied people who aren't looking for or won't accept employment. Don't know how to do it, but we also
    have to find a way to stop compensating unproductive politicians.
    BB

Forum Member

How about getting rid of 2 million FREE Obama phones?

Forum Member

We could start with term limits , so there are no career sitting at the hog trough, life long politicians.
    2 terms and your out ! Then put in place a ban on lifelong benefits and retirement for those politicians and their families.
    those changes would save more than the entire AFG program ever got at it's highest funding level.
    Then outlaw political action committees that spend billions trying to influence elections and buy off politicians while the wealthy donors remain anonymous.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    We could start with term limits , so there are no career sitting at the hog trough, life long politicians.
    2 terms and your out ! Then put in place a ban on lifelong benefits and retirement for those politicians and their families.
    those changes would save more than the entire AFG program ever got at it's highest funding level.
    Then outlaw political action committees that spend billions trying to influence elections and buy off politicians while the wealthy donors remain anonymous.

oh wouldn't that be nice! I'm a firm believer of term limits!

MembersZone Subscriber

And while we are at it could we require that Congress has to also live by the laws they pass and that when the threat of sequester is raised that their paychecks be withheld until they can act like grownups and not children and pass whatever damn bill they need to pass to get the country back on track. They need to quit extolling the virtues of a foreign policy that is a remnant and leftover of the cold war.Its not working folks; Russia and China, among others, has told us to basically kiss their backsides, Iran is telling us to kiss off we will build our A-Bomb whether you like it or not, N Korea already has the bomb and now is developing rockets that will reach our interior, Hey Hillary? Show me one place where your foreign policy is actually accomplishing anything other than lip service! Our country needs another Teddy Roosevelt climbing back in the saddle and start ruling the world like the superpower that we supposedly are. Get a bigger stick! Screw economic sanctions; they don't work because we are the biggest consumer... not them! We are importing everything. If we started letting the third world despots starve to death, if we sent a B-2 Stealth and bombed N Korea's rocket factories and nuclear facilities and also got Iran's in the process maybe , just maybe the rest of the world would get back in line. We need to go back to an attitude with these other countries that if you are not for us, then you are against us... and you should be scared.... very scared!
    islandfire03 likes this.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Another thing: Politicians should have the exact same healthcare insurance as the rest of us working stiffs. No more platinum plated all inclusive best of everything for them.
    They are all up in arms about obamacare, yet what do they care, it's not for them.

Maybe if we tied their paychecks to productivity and doing the RIGHT thing for the country, we could get somewhere.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Troyboy67 View Post
    How about getting rid of 2 million FREE Obama phones?

I hate stupidity. Really. I do.

The Obama phone program is outlined here.

"Back in the 1980’s the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), under the Ronald Reagan administration, created the Universal access initiative, which aimed to “promote the availability of quality services at just, reasonable and affordable rates for all consumers.” Through this initiative the Federal Lifeline Assistance program was developed.

The Federal Lifeline Assistance program began offering discounted phone service to needy Americans who were unemployed or living at or below the poverty level. In 1996, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) created the Universal Service Fund, stating that all providers of telecommunications services should contribute a specified fee to the fund to be used to increase nationwide access to advanced telecommunications services” and “advance the availability of such services to all consumers, including those in low income, rural, insular, and high cost areas at rates that are reasonably comparable to those charged in urban areas.” Thus the program shifted from discounted landlines to mobile phones, since they were thought to be more useful."

So if you wanted to be a bit more accurate, you would call it the Reagan Phone if you must.

And yes, I can't stand Obama... I just can't stand stupidity even more.
    islandfire03 and Casco18 like this.

Forum Member

I can see the point of that, without at least being able to call 9-1-1 from your home it could be an issue. Based on that writing, sounds like we need to call it the Clinton phone because it went from providing people with the capability of protecting their home, to giving them free mobile phones.

I still laugh then shake my head at this one, because it's true and that's the sad part....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information