Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ktb9780
  • 1 Post By BC79er

Thread: Sequester funding cut?

Forum Member

Default Sequester funding cut?

We were approved for our scba grant for 2012 and are currently in the evaluation bid process. Is there any danger to our funding for the grant we were approved for if the sequester happens on March1? We have been moving the process on our end as quickly as possible on our end for fear that the feds could pull the funding rug out from under our feet ant any time. Am I just paranoid?

MembersZone Subscriber

You should be fine its next year that is in danger of an 8.2% funding cut.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

Kurt, Any word on why things are moving so slow this year? We have a reference number and the 10 questions for a SAFER grant since Dec yet havent heard another word since?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    Kurt, Any word on why things are moving so slow this year? We have a reference number and the 10 questions for a SAFER grant since Dec yet havent heard another word since?
    FEMA has been overworked and understaffed this year with two major storm slams in NE areas where an all hands on deck call was made and FEMA offices in DC were emptied. People that normally were desk jockeys were pushed into "boots on the ground service" as nobody, in an election year, wanted to be accused of not offering a proper response, if you get my drift here. That pushed everything backwards. Then Uncle Sam decided, in their infinite wisdom, to launch the System for Award Management right in the middle of the awards and this caught many AFG/SAFER/FP applicants and potential awardees unprepared Couple that backlog with a SAM.gov computer system full of glitches and bugs and you can quickly see how things started log-jamming themselves up against each other. Patience, if you have an 1199a ref number you are more than likely safe.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Great. We are still waiting on any word on a huge county wide regional grant. We are in desperate need of. Narrow banding killed us.

MembersZone Subscriber

The following letter just went out. I don't think from what it says that it will effect 2012 AFG funding but I have a request to program office turned in for clarifications so sit tight and as soon as I hear back I'll post what they tell me.

Dear FEMA Grantee:
    In August 2011, Congress passed the Budget Control Act of 2011 (Public Law 112-25) to limit federal spending and reduce our national debt. To enforce annual spending limits, that law requires across-the-board funding reductions to almost every federal program, project, and activity through a process called “sequestration.”
    As a consequence, all federal agencies, including FEMA, will have to implement steep funding cuts, beginning in the current fiscal year. Leadership throughout FEMA and the Department of Homeland Security have been working hard to determine how we might best mitigate the impact of possible sequestration budget reductions on our state, local, tribal, territorial, non-profit and private sector partners.
    Nonetheless, the sequestration order issued on March 1, 2013 will result in FEMA’s current Fiscal Year (FY) 2013 funding levels being reduced by approximately 5%. This will result in a reduction to FEMA’s State and Local grant funding levels of approximately $104 million.
    The sequestration reductions will affect FY 2013 funding levels for all GPD grants, subject to FEMA’s final FY 2013 appropriation. Sequestration will not affect grants or cooperative agreements awarded in previous fiscal years.
    We recognize the hardships that sequestration is likely to cause and thank you for your cooperation as we work together to manage these unfortunate circumstances. We value the important work that you do and appreciate your dedication to the security and resilience of the Nation. As always, your thoughts, questions and concerns are welcome.
    Sincerely,
    David J. Kaufman
    Acting Assistant Administrator
    Grant Programs Directorate
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

OK I just heard from program office and according to the email I revived it effects 2013 funding only, not the 2012 AFG funding.
    utfd701 likes this.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Sequestration will not affect grants or cooperative agreements awarded in previous fiscal years.
    So if you're in the running for a 2012 grant, or still in progress from an earlier year's grant, sequestration doesn't effect your department or its funding possibilities. Relax and go back to checking your FEMA email every other hour.
    Believed by many to be the best-administered homeland security grant in the country, the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program provides an accessible competitive opportunity for fire departments and non-affiliated EMS agencies across the US to get funding for a wide range of operations and safety, vehicles, and regional communications projects.

Forum Member

Being as it's across the board don't read that as a reduction of AFG/SAFER/FP by a total of $104mil, it's all DHS/FEMA run grant programs.

Of course like I said in my other thread on this topic, we could make up that difference and bring these programs back up to the $750mil each level by dropping a few foreign grant programs and probably bring back the Station Grants on top of it. But why spend money on our country when there are so many we owe nothing that we can send our money to....
    Limeforever likes this.

Forum Member

Drop SAFER by $100M and AFG by $4M

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    Drop SAFER by $100M and AFG by $4M
    How about drop SAFER by $200M and raise AFG by $96M

Forum Member

Got a little excited today when I found 'new' messages in my email box from "firegrants@fema.dhs.gov" In fact I found one attached to all my applications for the last 5 years...another sequester funding letter. That makes 10 so far. I think I get the point; they're cutting $104 million next year.
    Friday is award day and they do this to us as we await.....Aggghhhhh!

Forum Member

Actually in the last version of the budget from both the House and Senate they kept the funding at the 2012 level for AFG and SAFER, no cuts to either one. Should pass like that since the WH was in favor of finding cuts elsewhere.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh I think we will see some cuts to Fire Act Grants in 2013. I am guessing at least 5%.
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information