Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What's up with the "NEW" Seagrave?

Anybody else notice the new FWD Seagrave website? I had not been checking Seagrave's website very much over the past year since nothing changed. I was quite surprised to see all of this, new cab, new Apollo II aerial tower, and a bunch of other stuff to include the resurrection of the old FWD name that's been gone a long time. They must have been doing all of this in some form of secrecy since they haven't been doing hardly any advertising, no website updates, and rarely attending any of the larger apparatus shows. What's behind this big resurgence? Did somebody buy them and is pumping some $$$ into the operation to get them back into competition? I would guess that they are planning sometime big for the upcoming FDIC to show they despite the rumors about their demise due to the loss of the almighty FDNY contracts that they are back stronger than ever or something to that effect. Guess we'll have to just wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadOff View Post
    Anybody else notice the new FWD Seagrave website? I had not been checking Seagrave's website very much over the past year since nothing changed. I was quite surprised to see all of this, new cab, new Apollo II aerial tower, and a bunch of other stuff to include the resurrection of the old FWD name that's been gone a long time. They must have been doing all of this in some form of secrecy since they haven't been doing hardly any advertising, no website updates, and rarely attending any of the larger apparatus shows. What's behind this big resurgence? Did somebody buy them and is pumping some $$$ into the operation to get them back into competition? I would guess that they are planning sometime big for the upcoming FDIC to show they despite the rumors about their demise due to the loss of the almighty FDNY contracts that they are back stronger than ever or something to that effect. Guess we'll have to just wait and see.
    Little known fact: FWD owns Seagrave and not the other way around. FWD has never gone anywhere, they have been concentrating on heavy snow removal vehicles (like airports) for the last bunch of years. I heard a rumor that many folks are so disenchanted with Oshkosh's all wheel drive construction chassis lately that FWD may be thinking about making a re-appearance into the market; thats strictly hearsay.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Little known fact: FWD owns Seagrave and not the other way around. FWD has never gone anywhere, they have been concentrating on heavy snow removal vehicles (like airports) for the last bunch of years. I heard a rumor that many folks are so disenchanted with Oshkosh's all wheel drive construction chassis lately that FWD may be thinking about making a re-appearance into the market; thats strictly hearsay.
    Not exactly. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about FWD and Seagrave:

"Randolph Lenz, Chair of FWD's parent company, Corsta Corp., became embroiled in a Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation suit and in 2003 all assets of FWD: FWD Corporation, Seagrave, Baker Aerialscope and Almonte Fire Trucks were sold to an investment group headed by former American LaFrance executive James Hebe. Today, the Seagrave group is a flagship company of ELB Capital Management."

According to ELB's website, they still own Seagrave. There's no mention of FWD.

Not exactly. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about FWD and Seagrave:

"Randolph Lenz, Chair of FWD's parent company, Corsta Corp., became embroiled in a Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation suit and in 2003 all assets of FWD: FWD Corporation, Seagrave, Baker Aerialscope and Almonte Fire Trucks were sold to an investment group headed by former American LaFrance executive James Hebe. Today, the Seagrave group is a flagship company of ELB Capital Management."

According to ELB's website, they still own Seagrave. There's no mention of FWD.
    I just went there- I wonder if they dissolved the FWD snow products into Wausau somehow? Interesting. I guess it's good that JH is no longer involved or else they would have gone out of business by now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I just went there- I wonder if they dissolved the FWD snow products into Wausau somehow? Interesting. I guess it's good that JH is no longer involved or else they would have gone out of business by now.
    FWD was a good company, sorry to see it go out the way it did. Well, at least Hebe is gone, unless he resurfaces someplace. Maybe Oshkosh will hire him to help Pierce out, LOL! I missed this announcement last fall:

"Navistar Annouces Retirement of Hebe

Posted: Oct 8, 2012 11:40 AM | Last Updated: Oct 8, 2012 11:40 AM

LISLE, Ill. — After much speculation, James Hebe, Navistar senior vice president, North America Sales Operations, is officially retiring, the company announced today.

The announcement comes not long after other corporate level shake-ups at Navistar, which has been re-grouping in order to bring an EPA-compliant engine lineup to market.

“Jim Hebe has been a significant figure in our industry for four decades,” said Jack Allen, president, Navistar North America Truck and Parts, in a statement. “We have benefited greatly from his many contributions, perhaps none more important than Jim’s passion for developing deep customer relationships, which has become embedded within Navistar’s sales and marketing team. We thank him for his service and wish him the best in retirement.”

Hebe began his career at International Harvester (Navistar’s predecessor) in 1971 as a management trainee in Boston, and later became a heavy truck salesman for International Trucks. After leaving International Harvester, Hebe held leadership roles of increasing responsibility with American LaFrance, Kenworth Truck Company, and Kenworth of Tampa, culminating with his appointment to chairman, president and chief executive officer of Freightliner in 1992.

After leaving Freightliner in 2001, Hebe became head of Seagrave Fire Apparatus, LLC in Clintonville, Wis. He returned to the trucking industry in 2006 when he became dealer principal of Co-Van/Cascadia International, before re-joining Navistar, Inc. two years later in his current role."

FWD was a good company, sorry to see it go out the way it did. Well, at least Hebe is gone, unless he resurfaces someplace. Maybe Oshkosh will hire him to help Pierce out, LOL! I missed this announcement last fall:

LISLE, Ill. — After much speculation, James Hebe, Navistar senior vice president, North America Sales Operations, is officially retiring, the company announced today.

The announcement comes not long after other corporate level shake-ups at Navistar, which has been re-grouping in order to bring an EPA-compliant engine lineup to market.

“Jim Hebe has been a significant figure in our industry for four decades,” said Jack Allen, president, Navistar North America Truck and Parts, in a statement. “We have benefited greatly from his many contributions, perhaps none more important than Jim’s passion for developing deep customer relationships, which has become embedded within Navistar’s sales and marketing team. We thank him for his service and wish him the best in retirement.”

Hebe began his career at International Harvester (Navistar’s predecessor) in 1971 as a management trainee in Boston, and later became a heavy truck salesman for International Trucks. After leaving International Harvester, Hebe held leadership roles of increasing responsibility with American LaFrance, Kenworth Truck Company, and Kenworth of Tampa, culminating with his appointment to chairman, president and chief executive officer of Freightliner in 1992.

After leaving Freightliner in 2001, Hebe became head of Seagrave Fire Apparatus, LLC in Clintonville, Wis. He returned to the trucking industry in 2006 when he became dealer principal of Co-Van/Cascadia International, before re-joining Navistar, Inc. two years later in his current role."
    If memory serves me correctly, I thought I remember reading somewhere that he began his career fresh out of college for this little old firetruck manufacturer called American LaFrance......???

Forum Member

It's good to see that Seagrave has upgraded there web site after about three years, they do build a good strong apparatus but there management needs to do something about the high price of there apparatus. Many small fire department across the country can not afford to buy from Seagrave . It would be nice if they offered program apparatus to keep the cost down !

Forum Member

I was afraid the writing was on the wall...as in Seagrave not updating their website in like 2 years...I mean, it is like 2013!

The "new" FWD association is interesting...as in I'm not sure what it means. I guess technically, the new investment company owns both, so FWD no longer "owns" Seagrave? But, as said, maybe they are going to make a new push into the heavy vehicle market and they are going to try to reinvigorate both the FWD and Seagrave brands by joining them together? Because, purely from a fire truck standpoint, the FWD association isn't going to do for Seagrave what the whole Spartan ERV/Crimson rebranding has.

They also renamed the split-tilt version of the Marauder II cab to the Attacker HD. Which is funny...because when the shown example (Louisville's dive/rescue) was delivered LAST YEAR, it was identified as a Marauder II.

I've heard guesses and estimations of Seagrave's delivery numbers over the last 2 years...and they ain't pretty...especially when you remove the FDNY contracts. Let's say that builders like Toyne and 4-Guys (who, by all accounts, do make very nice rigs) are selling more units per year.

It seems like Seagrave isn't going to win a bid anymore...you have to WANT a Seagrave to buy a Seagrave. My department is an example. But, our surrounding departments can't afford that mentality anymore...they have to consider bids...and haven't been buying Seagrave anymore as a result.
    Last edited by bigbluefire; 03-12-2013 at 07:34 AM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluefire View Post
    I was afraid the writing was on the wall...as in Seagrave not updating their website in like 2 years...I mean, it is like 2013!

The "new" FWD association is interesting...as in I'm not sure what it means. I guess technically, the new investment company owns both, so FWD no longer "owns" Seagrave? But, as said, maybe they are going to make a new push into the heavy vehicle market and they are going to try to reinvigorate both the FWD and Seagrave brands by joining them together? Because, purely from a fire truck standpoint, the FWD association isn't going to do for Seagrave what the whole Spartan ERV/Crimson rebranding has.

They also renamed the split-tilt version of the Marauder II cab to the Attacker HD. Which is funny...because when the shown example (Louisville's dive/rescue) was delivered LAST YEAR, it was identified as a Marauder II.

I've heard guesses and estimations of Seagrave's delivery numbers over the last 2 years...and they ain't pretty...especially when you remove the FDNY contracts. Let's say that builders like Toyne and 4-Guys (who, by all accounts, do make very nice rigs) are selling more units per year.

It seems like Seagrave isn't going to win a bid anymore...you have to WANT a Seagrave to buy a Seagrave. My department is an example. But, our surrounding departments can't afford that mentality anymore...they have to consider bids...and haven't been buying Seagrave anymore as a result.
    Very well said, if any department that buys a Seagrave just for there stainless steel cabs can always go with a truck built by Ferrara , Kme, etc. and save about $ 100k when going out to bid!
    Last edited by Woodbridge; 03-12-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Forum Member

Angry he be back

Hebe is back at IH as a consultant, word is to clean up some of his messes

Forum Member

How many trucks has Seagrave been building the past few years?

Forum Member

It can't be that many since I have only seen one delivery of a pumper here in Middlesex County, N.J. in the past two years. The sales in the New Jersey & New York area are way down!

Forum Member

Saw a Seagrave Tower Ladder for FDNY eastbound on Route 90/80 in Ohio last Thursday!

Forum Member

I think that the City of New York ordered 12 units last year!

Forum Member

Looks like the new Seagrave has parted ways with there dealer ( Foley Cat) here in the Garden State, the new official dealer is Emergency Equipment Sales out of Trenton, N.J.

Thread Information