Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bones42

Thread: NJ blue lights permit question

Forum Member

Default NJ blue lights permit question

How long did it take for your permit to be received back after mailing the original application. I have heard people say 7 days up to 3 months.

Forum Member

Not nearly long enough.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vfd84 View Post
    How long did it take for your permit to be received back after mailing the original application. I have heard people say 7 days up to 3 months.
    Please tell me you're not serious?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vfd84 View Post
    That is correct.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Bones can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the blue light in NJ does not give you any special privileges, just like in NY. Save the money and get there just as fast. I had one 35-40 yrs ago, but got tired of being told, while stuck in traffic, "Hey did you know your light is on?"
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member

NJ recently changed their laws....it used to be a courtesy light that mean pretty much nothing. Somehow, someone got the State to make it part of the mandatory yield laws, meaning you are now expected to yield to blue lights.

So far, there have been a couple cases of people filing charges after being pulled over by a "blue lighter" acting as cops.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    So far, there have been a couple cases of people filing charges after being pulled over by a "blue lighter" acting as cops.
    There's some in every crowd.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

We actually had one of them down on I-88 some years back. I could figure never figure out how he got woman to stop, cause cops here don't run blue lights. Hey Bones, how do you tell the difference between the 2 blue lights? You know maybe your politicians are smoking the same thing as ours when they passed that new gun law.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member

Ya, cops don't run blue lights here either. Just goes to show what the public actually knows.

Forum Member

Drivers in New Jersey don't pay any attention to blue lights, red lights, fire, police, Ems, etc, they are to busy on there cell phones texting. Save your money and get a air horn !

Forum Member

Default Ticket While Using Blue Lights

Hey Guys, this is a little off topic but needed some help maybe from a LEO maybe from anyone who has valuable input. I was in Edison NJ getting food for my crew, while I was on crew. I knew that were 3 other people at the building and if a call came out (Sayreville) it would be answered. So, while getting our food tones dropped for a chest pain and a rig called in service. About 3 minutes later, I was in my car omw back to the building at this point) tones dropped for another chest pain. I called into our response number, indicating my response, activated my blue lights and started my response (about 7-10 minutes). I was following all laws, was not speeding, did not take any red lights NOTHING. All of a sudden, as I was looking in my rear view I saw flashing red and blue lights speeding up behind me siren blaring. I moved out the way assuming he was going to a call. He wasn't, he pulled me over. The officer got out asked me what the F*ck I was doing. I informed him what I was doing and handed him all of my paperwork minus my DL, which was in my wallet in my duty rig. He said the only reason I pulled you over is because Edison no longer has a Volly squad so your a little suspect. By this time they have now issued a second set of tones and toned out our sister squad. The officer contact Sayreville PD dispatch where they informed him there was a call and it wasn't be just BS'ing. The NJ Blue Light Permit is a STATEWIDE permit. Now the officer came back and issued me a summons for not having my DL. Is there anyway I can contest it in court seeing that he had no probable cause to pull me over from the beginning? Its a 190$ ticket in jersey. You would think that the relationship between LEOs and Vollys from neighboring towns would be a little better than this being that if Sh*t hits the fan were the ones providing mutual aid. Any help would be awesome, and any way that i would be able to contest the ticket would be even better.

This is my cars lights. Strobes get a little blurry because they're too bright and flash too fast for the camera. I have 8 strobes, 4 in the front headlights, 4 in the rear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap_SMUNxmU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaQnDpWCj6E

Forum Member

We file our renewals the month before they expire and always get them back in time. Of course our Mayor and Borough Clerk are rock stars about getting things done on time.

Forum Member

NJ recently changed their laws....it used to be a courtesy light that mean pretty much nothing. Somehow, someone got the State to make it part of the mandatory yield laws, meaning you are now expected to yield to blue lights.

Yeah damn that recent change in 2005!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tarek.hassan204 View Post
    Hey Guys, this is a little off topic but needed some help maybe from a LEO maybe from anyone who has valuable input. I was in Edison NJ getting food for my crew, while I was on crew. I knew that were 3 other people at the building and if a call came out (Sayreville) it would be answered. So, while getting our food tones dropped for a chest pain and a rig called in service. About 3 minutes later, I was in my car omw back to the building at this point) tones dropped for another chest pain. I called into our response number, indicating my response, activated my blue lights and started my response (about 7-10 minutes). I was following all laws, was not speeding, did not take any red lights NOTHING. All of a sudden, as I was looking in my rear view I saw flashing red and blue lights speeding up behind me siren blaring. I moved out the way assuming he was going to a call. He wasn't, he pulled me over. The officer got out asked me what the F*ck I was doing. I informed him what I was doing and handed him all of my paperwork minus my DL, which was in my wallet in my duty rig. He said the only reason I pulled you over is because Edison no longer has a Volly squad so your a little suspect. By this time they have now issued a second set of tones and toned out our sister squad. The officer contact Sayreville PD dispatch where they informed him there was a call and it wasn't be just BS'ing. The NJ Blue Light Permit is a STATEWIDE permit. Now the officer came back and issued me a summons for not having my DL. Is there anyway I can contest it in court seeing that he had no probable cause to pull me over from the beginning? Its a 190$ ticket in jersey. You would think that the relationship between LEOs and Vollys from neighboring towns would be a little better than this being that if Sh*t hits the fan were the ones providing mutual aid. Any help would be awesome, and any way that i would be able to contest the ticket would be even better.

This is my cars lights. Strobes get a little blurry because they're too bright and flash too fast for the camera. I have 8 strobes, 4 in the front headlights, 4 in the rear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap_SMUNxmU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaQnDpWCj6E

You most likely got stopped because of the amount of lights. Cop probably thought a UFO was going down the street!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doc13mets View Post
    Yeah damn that recent change in 2005!
    When you started in 1982, 2005 is recent.
    islandfire03 likes this.

Forum Member

When you started in 1982, 2005 is recent.
    Doesn't matter when you started. When you make a statement "NJ recently..." I don't think anyone would expect you to mean "8 years ago, NJ..."

Forum Member

you guys really get worked up over those blue lights --do you work at K-Mart ?
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    you guys really get worked up over those blue lights --do you work at K-Mart ?
    Did you know K-Mart started offering dial up internet service called Blue Light when they started those commercials! Now that's exciting!

Thread Information