Forum Member

Default Change of plans: volunteer certification

Hello everyone.
    Quick overview of my current place in the fire service. I'm currently finishing up emt b training while in a fire academy put on by the local community college. I was looking at being a career ff but I have decided I'd rather just volunteer. So I am considering moving to a small community about an hour from where I currently live and going to work to start making money again. This would require me to drop the academy I am in now. So my question boils down to: will I be able to become ff 1 and 2 certified through the volunteer department? I know each department can be different but what is the normal certification process with a volunteer department?

Thanks for any help you can provide in advance. I really do appreciate it.

Forum Member

What state are you in???

Texas

Forum Member

Yes I'm in Texas

Forum Member

Suggest you finish the academy if you have the time and money

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/home/FAQs...._certification

Volunteer fire fighters and individual fire fighters who are not affiliated with a department can participate voluntarily in the commission's certification programs. The certification requirements for volunteers and individuals are the same as for paid fire protection personnel.

Volunteers who have achieved advanced certification with the State Firemen's and Fire Marshals' Association of Texas (SFFMA) may qualify to complete the commission-designated skill evaluation process and take the certification exam (please see Chapter 423 of the Standards Manual).

Individuals and volunteers can maintain their certification by completing the required hours of continuing education each year and paying the required renewal fee. A form for documenting completed CE, Form TCFP-010 , is available on this site.

Volunteer fire department regulations
    The Texas Commission on Fire Protection regulates training, personal protective gear and breathing apparatus of paid fire departments. The commission does not regulate volunteer fire departments unless the volunteer department chooses to participate in the commission's regulatory programs, but this participation is strictly voluntary (please see Chapter 495 of the Standards Manual for more information on voluntary regulation).

The commission has no statutory authority with regard to apparatus, response times or similar matters. Concerns regarding these issues should be brought to the attention of local authorities.

While the commission does not regulate volunteer fire departments it does have a resource library that may aid volunteer departments in providing training for fire fighters. This is a free service with the only cost being the return postage on borrowed resources. Please see the resource library overview page for more information.

The State Firemen's and Fire Marshals' Association of Texas (SFFMA) is an organization that may be able to provide volunteer fire departments. Additionally, the Texas Forest Service has a grant program and other resources available to assist volunteer fire departments.

Forum Member

Suggest you call the volunteer dept you are looking at to see if there is an academy near them or if they will pay to send you to one

Forum Member

Will do. Thanks for the advice/help.

Thread Information