Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jcrampton14

Thread: Fire Dex turnout gear Question

Forum Member

Default Fire Dex turnout gear Question

we are looking at buying Fire Dex turnout gear. I would like your thoughts, opinion's weather its good gear or not. And why you like or dislike it.

Thanks, Gerri

Forum Member

I personally haven't worn fire dex turnout gear but a lot of departments out by me a starting to switch from globe to fire dex with no complaints thus far. Personally speaking though it might pay for you to look at morning pride. I've worn morning pride, globe, and janesville and morning pride is definitely my favorite especially because it is probably the most form fitting gear I've ever worn (every set of globe gear I've had has always been really baggy in the pants). I know it doesn't always work out due to budget constraints but turnout gear and PPE has always been and area in which I'm not afraid to suggest spending a little more money for a higher level of protection.

Forum Member

We got Fire Dex gear just before Hurricane Sandy hit. You do need to realize that there are a few turnout gear brands....but they are all made from the same materials. Difference is in what liners/shells/etc they match up and how they put it together.

The configuration we got is good, the coats a bit stiff but loosening up with use.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

We currently have morning pride,I will admit it is good fitting gear. Here are the 2 reasons we are not replacing it with more morning pride gear

1] after about 5 years the threads started coming apart at many of the seems, mainly the inner pants legs near the ankle and knees and sleeve's between the wrist and elbow. The gear just seemed to fall apart very quickly. When we contacted our dealer with this issue he said it was just normal wear and tear and there was nothing they would do about it. I see they have addressed the ankle problem by putting a piece of protective material in that area.

2] In June 2012 we started specking new gear. We decided to give Morning Pride another chance and contacted our Rep here in western New York "Tyler Fire Equipment". In September we contacted the Regional Rep. because we had not herd anything from Tyler fire. They assured me someone would be getting a hold of us. Late September someone from Tyler Fire contacted us very concerned and wanting our business. Well its now March 2013 and still no quote from Tyler Fire for Morning Pride turnout gear. This is why we will never give Morning Pride or Tyler Fire another chance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by A.S.F.D 27 View Post
    We currently have morning pride,I will admit it is good fitting gear. Here are the 2 reasons we are not replacing it with more morning pride gear

1] after about 5 years the threads started coming apart at many of the seems, mainly the inner pants legs near the ankle and knees and sleeve's between the wrist and elbow. The gear just seemed to fall apart very quickly. When we contacted our dealer with this issue he said it was just normal wear and tear and there was nothing they would do about it. I see they have addressed the ankle problem by putting a piece of protective material in that area.

2] In June 2012 we started specking new gear. We decided to give Morning Pride another chance and contacted our Rep here in western New York "Tyler Fire Equipment". In September we contacted the Regional Rep. because we had not herd anything from Tyler fire. They assured me someone would be getting a hold of us. Late September someone from Tyler Fire contacted us very concerned and wanting our business. Well its now March 2013 and still no quote from Tyler Fire for Morning Pride turnout gear. This is why we will never give Morning Pride or Tyler Fire another chance.
    Both of your issues were dealer oriented. We also had issue with our local Honeywell dealers, so we branched out. We order from Fuego in Texas and I have nothing but good things to say about them. We send in measurements and they send us gear that fits like a glove.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

We use Fire Dex and love it! Nice options, very durable, great price and ordering time. We bought ours though Fire Force in Pittsburgh.

Thread Information