Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Looking for a little advice on first day

I know their are a lot of posts regarding the first day on the job with a dept. but everything I have found doesn't exactly cover my situation so I thought I would ask for opinions.

I recently accepted a job with a fire dept. and start soon. One thing is they do not have an academy and train on the job per say as an extra man and I'm sure train a lot during the shift which I like and that's not the problem. So when I start I will be doing three 8 hour days, essentially coming on at beginning of shift and staying 8 hours. This will be utilized for the admin stuff, as well as, meeting everyone on all shifts, and getting some important training done.

Now one question is, on the very first day which is an 8 hour day. I come in an hour after shift has started, assuming that's probably when admin comes in. Should I just come in at shift change anyway with the usual welcoming gift of the new guy (breakfast for everyone) or wait until its a little closer to when I was suppose to come in? The next two days I plan to do the usual I'm the new guy with the welcoming gift and try to make a great first impression.

Next question. When I start my first 24 hour shift which is at the end of the week do I do the first day thing again or since I have already done that should I change it up or not bother?

I'm sure it depends on how things go from the beginning but I just want to make a good first impression with my soon to be second family.

Either way I'll be a minimum of 30 minutes early and do what needs done. Just thought I would get some opinions on the matter as this situation seems kind of unique and I did not want to over do things but also don't want to be the guy that thinks he is above something when he is simply the snot nosed rookie.

Sorry for the ramble, just nervous, excited, scared, happy, and anxious about my future career coming to reality. Can't wait to start!

Forum Member

The first three days, who do you report to??

Have you done all your hr paperwork?? Do you have uniforms

Reason sometimes these first few days involves processing in

Forum Member

I will have all my HR paperwork done prior to starting and will be reporting in full uniform as I will be getting those before I start.

The first day I report to the Chief for paperwork and then the rest of the day and next two days will be the training Chief I believe to cover the new guy stuff.

I am not for sure but this is my understanding at the moment. I will be stopping by the station in the next couple of weeks to be fitted for gear as well prior to starting.

Forum Member

Would come in to admin 20-30 minutes early

Don't worry about any food till you start 24 hours

How many stations does the city have

Forum Member

They have two stations. Thanks for the assistance as well on my questions.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is similar to what I went through on my orientation period. I worked days for the first month or so of employment doing driver and operator training, street familiarization and such. I also had to take a day and drive to get my uniforms but that doesn't sound like an issue you have. I brought coffee the first day mainly because I already new a lot of the people at central station on the shift that was on. Other than that I did not bring anything else until I went on a regular shift.
    FF II, EMT-P, Hazmat Tech

Quote Originally Posted by mach158 View Post
    I know their are a lot of posts regarding the first day on the job with a dept. but everything I have found doesn't exactly cover my situation so I thought I would ask for opinions.

I recently accepted a job with a fire dept. and start soon. One thing is they do not have an academy and train on the job per say as an extra man and I'm sure train a lot during the shift which I like and that's not the problem. So when I start I will be doing three 8 hour days, essentially coming on at beginning of shift and staying 8 hours. This will be utilized for the admin stuff, as well as, meeting everyone on all shifts, and getting some important training done.

Now one question is, on the very first day which is an 8 hour day. I come in an hour after shift has started, assuming that's probably when admin comes in. Should I just come in at shift change anyway with the usual welcoming gift of the new guy (breakfast for everyone) or wait until its a little closer to when I was suppose to come in? The next two days I plan to do the usual I'm the new guy with the welcoming gift and try to make a great first impression.

Next question. When I start my first 24 hour shift which is at the end of the week do I do the first day thing again or since I have already done that should I change it up or not bother?

I'm sure it depends on how things go from the beginning but I just want to make a good first impression with my soon to be second family.

Either way I'll be a minimum of 30 minutes early and do what needs done. Just thought I would get some opinions on the matter as this situation seems kind of unique and I did not want to over do things but also don't want to be the guy that thinks he is above something when he is simply the snot nosed rookie.

Sorry for the ramble, just nervous, excited, scared, happy, and anxious about my future career coming to reality. Can't wait to start!
    Well, being in the service for 4 years (going on 5), you figure out what to not do, what to do, and what not to say.
    Examples:
    Do not ask alot of questions (unless you do not know the answer to it)
    Do not let other members know what your scared of (they will mess with you alot)
    Listen to officers
    Just be yourself and you'll get by
    ScreenShot Tool | Personal Website
    Email: russ@russtreadwell.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RussTPranks

Show up an hour early until told otherwise.

Forum Member

This is a tough question and I am sure it varies from department to department.
    Personally, I would bring some donuts the first few days. What's it going to cost you....25 bucks for all three days? Makes a good impression. All it takes is for one guy to say "oh, I thought the rookie usually brought in donuts...?" and then you're going to be wondering the whole time if they don't like you anymore because you didn't bring something or if they were just messing with you. Also, the department I work for is pretty old school and tough on their rookies. I want to ride the 4 spot so I can get that nozzle when we get fires. I show up a minimum of 1.5 hours early. Most guys with a few years on show up about an hour early.
    Play it REALLY safe at first and figure it out once you know the guys/your shift.

Thread Information