• 2 Post By CaptOldTimer
  • 3 Post By FyredUp
  • 2 Post By LAD20DER
  • 1 Post By LAD20DER
  • 1 Post By FWDbuff

Thread: Hood - Coat Attachment

Forum Member

Default Hood - Coat Attachment

Anyone have an pros and cons with attaching your hood to your jacket as I have seen becoming more an more popular around my area... What are people using to attach them?

Forum Member

Never attach the hood to anything but your head. It is the first thing to go on the upper body and then the turnout coat.
    dfwfirefighter and rm1524 like this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

While I understand the "proper" book technique of donning my PPE, I am looking for anyone who uses this method or knows anything about it's pros and cons....

Forum Member

The Texas Commission on Fire Protection is the state-level agency in Texas that governs all things fire service. They have the authority to randomly inspect the readiness of fire suppression personnel with regards to tools, training, PPE, and etc.

Although firefighters have been known to "bootleg" aspects of their PPE (such as attaching a hood to their coat or attaching their hood to their SCBA facepiece), this is considered an "unauthorized" modification with void all warranties with the affected gear or equipment in addition being against NFPA recommendations.

If a TCFP inspector were to find an unauthorized modification such as the one described in the post, they have the right to remove the firefighter from service until such a time that he (or she) can be outfitted with NFPA-compliant PPE, the modified gear would be seized for an investigation, and the department could face a fine.

The bottom line - do not modify anything unless it complies with the manufacturer's specifications. If it is modified and meets the manufacturer's specifications and NFPA guidelines, keep documentation on file in the event you are scrutinized over it.

As a side-note, the city I work for has placed language into their personnel rules that states they will do everything in their power to not be liable in the event an injury (or death) can even remotely be attributed to an employee not wearing all issued safety equipment, performing unauthorized modifications of safety equipment, and or not following guidelines, procedures, and/or directives regarding safety.

Our Workers' Comp folks already initially deny everything that comes across their desk. I don't want to give them anymore ammunition to not provide coverage for me in the event I am injured on duty.
    Last edited by dfwfirefighter; 03-06-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAD20DER View Post
    While I understand the "proper" book technique of donning my PPE, I am looking for anyone who uses this method or knows anything about it's pros and cons....
    Youmean other than violating NFPA standards, proper donning instructions and the warranties of the manufacturers of both the hood and the PPE coat ensemble??

Kid, just because your buddies are doing it doesnt mean that you have to.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Yep, it was a semi-popular thing to do in the late 1980s in southwestern PA. Haven't seen it done since 1992 or so. Maybe there's a reason why it fell out of favor; maybe it was the hoods hanging down the back of the coat, or the hood inside the coat after putting on a pack, or all the torn hoods, or the slow donning of the hood, or the hoods being all torn up, or the hoods being all stretched out... I'm just not sure why the hood/coat thing isn't popular anymore.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Youmean other than violating NFPA standards, proper donning instructions and the warranties of the manufacturers of both the hood and the PPE coat ensemble??

Kid, just because your buddies are doing it doesnt mean that you have to.
    AND yet we have guys on here all the time defying standards by taking ratchet adjusters and suspension components out of their helmets, and using Cairns G5 presentation helmets as fire combat helmets. All this kid asked about was attaching the hood to the coat which could be easily done with a little velcro. I am not saying I would do it but of all the crap that people do to their gear this seems pretty miniscule. The only issue to me is what do you do with the hood if you aren't wearing it at that call?
    DeputyMarshal, ATFDFF and Wmunday2 like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I don't see the point, hoods go on quick and if you don't need it just keep it down around your neck.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    I don't see the point, hoods go on quick and if you don't need it just keep it down around your neck.
    Which is what I do. Putting the hood on is so automatic for me I will put it on in the middle of the night when i put my bunker pants on for an ems call!!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I suspect that Junior wants to do it because it was a "cool" thing to do (may still be for all I know) in and around the DC/Pee Gee County area back when yonder. Back part of the hood was sewn to the inside of the collar of the coat. When you didnt want to wear your hood, you just took it off and kind of flopped it out onto your back where it would hang limp doll. Why? I dont know, I guess that since 33's did it it makes it a requirement for all 2-20's. What I want to know is, how do the tops of your shoulders or the lower part of your neck get covered if this thing is sewn to your coat, never mind what a PITA it would be to put it on in the first place...???? He probably put a Bronx bend in his leather helmet (and cracked the leather) because all his buddies did that, too.

Forum Member

FWDbuff... I am dying over here. "Junior"? How many years do you have in the fire service? I am sure you work at a very busy company that see's a ton of fire... More than likely commenting on this forum is your "release" for the day.. Do yourself a favor and not be so closed minded to the fire service and hopefully do something progressive and proactive instead of beating up on a post that just asked a simple question... Since I see the comments regarding PG I am sure you watch their youtube videos wishing that was was you while you really sit and wait for your pager to go off for the first call in a month... Grow up clown...

Thanks for the people who stayed related to my post and answered with their opinion...
    CaptOldTimer and ATFDFF like this.

Forum Member

FWDBuff, I forgot.. You are more than willing to come "buff" in my city anytime... Make sure you bring your proper photographer PPE though, wouldnt want you to violate any standards...
    ATFDFF likes this.

Forum Member

I can tell you that a few folks that I know have tried this for alittle while and ended up removing it. If I remember correctly they popped a few holes in the lower back section of the hood and placed it between the snaps of the liner and outter shell on the coat. A couple times it was suck on the air pack while donning. I even seen them attached to the SCBA mask. Again I have no first hand experience but everyone ended the practice for different reasons. Well good luck and be safe!

Forum Member

Hahahahahaha I see I hit a nerve......Kid I have more time in the fire service than you have outside of your mother's womb.

Oh, and by the way- you asked a silly question and you got a silly answer. You know (by your own admittance) that you knew the proper way to don your PPE....So why would you even have started this thread to begin with, never mind continuing with it.......Municipalities and Insurance companies are doing everything in their power to deny deny deny deny insurance claims these days in an effort to save the allmighty dollar. Would you want to be the one to receive the word that your hospital visit for the shoulder,neck and ear burns are being denied "due to mis-use and/or an unapproved modification to PPE?"

Now go get in the sink and do the dishes!
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Which is what I do. Putting the hood on is so automatic for me I will put it on in the middle of the night when i put my bunker pants on for an ems call!!
    If I'm wearing my coat, I'm wearing the hood. In the winter it makes a great neck warmer and any other time, it means if we catch a fire on the road I dont have to try and jam the hood into my coat.

Forum Member

Hey lad - have you ever had a real job ? Just curious - your attitude seems to be the norm of folks entering the fire service. The hardest thing they have ever done is been weened of a sugar tit.
    ?

Forum Member

Wow... apparently people can't ask questions on a forum that's designed to ask questions.

I've seen people do that out here with their hoods. I really don't recommend it. I keep my hood inside the inner pocket of my coat. Then it's sticking out when I need it since my coat is draped over my seat. We run enough at my department that it's habit to grab my hood every time we catch a box. It's just as easy in my opinion. I've seen some attached through the snaps on the coat and others with safety pins. It's all just preference.

Thread Information