Thread: SCBA Awards

Forum Member

Default SCBA Awards

For those of you who have been awarded funds this year for SCBA are you purchasing 2007 compliant airpacks or waiting for the 2013 compliant packs to hit the market?

Forum Member

Per DHS there will be no extensions to wait on manufacturers to build 2013 units. Supposedly Scott is retooling the factory over the summer, MSA is expecting to be in full production around Xmas from what I've heard from their reps/vendors. I hadn't seen the actual final NFPA 1981-2013 be approved, so those could be moving targets, plus there's compliance testing to be done also, and there were many problems for a lot of manufacturers when 2007ed came about. Hence the reason DHS won't let anyone wait.
    Brian P. Vickers
    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
    www.helpmewithgrants.com
    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Forum Member

Default Grant Coordinator

My VFD targeted our grant on the 2007 version due to the cost implications of the new features demanded by the 2013 NFPA 1981 edition. Some of the features of the new standard SCBA are nice to haves and some are not. None of them were deemed essential. In any case they will cost you more.

Forum Member

There is no major benifit in waiting for 2013 editions. The only noticeable change on the pack is the low air alarm trips at 33% instead of 25% now, and I've heard pass tones will be standardized. The face pieces have mors strict heat tolerances and new objective testing for voice emitters and amps. I wouldn't exspect a price spike. Scott has a countdown for the last day 2007's can be ordered.

MembersZone Subscriber

"Last day manufacturers can ship 2007 compliant products is estimated to be August 30, 2013."

MembersZone Subscriber

We received our call from our senators office yesterday informing us that we were awarded for paks. we will be going with the 2007 standard. we were told that if we wait there will be an increase for the 2013 standard paks.

MembersZone Subscriber

An increase in the price, not in the grant

Forum Member

We just ordered 2007 standard packs.

Forum Member

There are many FD's that haven't received their 2012 SCBA AFG award yet, I would assume it will be many more weeks before all the SCBA awards will be given out. Scott's web site says they will be shipping the new 2013 NFPA standard packs on August 30, 2012. I would guess they will have a cut off date for ordering the 2007 compliant packs for sometime in July of 2012 if the August 30th shipping date holds. I think some departments will be forced into the 2013 compliant packs because of the amount of time it takes to follow through with the purchasing process. I'm not sure of any other SCBA manufactures date deadlines for shipping or ordering their new 2013 NFPA compliant SCBA packs. Just my observations.

Forum Member

That's why DHS says to have your stuff ready to go so you can get pricing the day of award and then bid. Also why you can do evaluation testing prior to the award to avoid delays in spec writing and evaluations after the award is out. Lots of our folks have had orders handled within 30 days.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Air packs

In 2007 we recieved a grant for new SCBA's we purchased packs that were 2002 compliant, now fast forward to 2013 we have air packs that are 6 years old but considered "obsolete".. If at all possible I would try to get the 2013 packs
    Mark

Forum Member

I guessing not many fire departments are doing hands on demos and evaluations of any equipment until they get the grant in hand, especially in rural areas. While they should have at least rough specifications and needs in mind, not many are going to put a lot of effort into something that isn't concrete. Not all fire department have full-time Firefighters or administrators that can speed the process along, or have multiple fire equipment dealers within a short drive to conduct such preliminary evaluations.
    Lastly, getting the authorization to purchase grant items by way of the bid process by city, township or fire districts, may be a slow one. In my very limited experience, bidders are usually given two or three weeks to get their bids in. Many instances city councils and township boards meet only monthly in smaller communities. Depending on timing, it could take over 30 days to get final approval once the bids come back. Again, just my observations.

Forum Member

The question I would have is: Since the 2013 packs haven't been put in production yet due to the new standard just being finalized, How can you guess at the cost of them and how could you have known what to put for your pricing in the grant app last year?
    When talking to our dealer they said any pricing guess would be just that. Manufactures haven't given the dealers any idea on what pricing might be.
    Once the new packs make the production line, they will still not be produced in large enough numbers to be able to fulfill the grant POP timelines in many cases.

Forum Member

Mark: I sure understand, so many people are short sighted in their purchases. While it may be the easy thing to do, getting 2007 NFPA compliant SCBA's just before the standards change may not be in everyones best interest as you eluded to. We should all realize that we're dealing with some very important safety changes here. Some may say the changes are over kill, but the changes to NFPA 1981 2013 were made for a reason. Good point Mark.

MembersZone Subscriber

We got the official notification on our scba award yesterday. The scba's will be ordered by the end of next week. We have done our demo's, etc over the last month. We will be going state contract. The bidding is done. Then it will be just wait the 8 or so weeks for them to show. This was only halve of what we put in for, mobile air trailer got cut, so it looks like no filling in the field in our 2 county area, you'll be running 20-30 miles to fill bottles still. Oh well next year is another year. stay safe

Forum Member

Glad to hear most everything went smooth for you. We went through traveling 15 miles or so for awhile to refill our air reserves, not much fun. Hope you can get AFG funded next year or get funding locally, that what happened with us. Not all states have contracts for SCBA and like items sad to say, we did get a brush truck few years ago by way of state contract, it was quite easy and the price was great.

Forum Member

When we were awarded for SCBA a few years back, I insisted on doing the competitive bidding (despite State Contract pricing) and the quotes came in with 1 vendor: state contract and the other 2 under bid by a lot... If memory serves, the packs came in somewhere around $80.00 - $100.00 less PER PACK. Well worth going the route of getting bids from the vendors...

I feel your pain on the refilling issue. Am still waiting word on a compressor this year after being rejected last... Would certainly be nice to refill cylinders right after use rather than scheduling with a FD with a compressor, then driving... Congrats on the new SCBAs!

Thread Information