Forum Member

Default Highline rigging Question

I was looking for Az Vortex video's and I came across one where I saw some rigging that I am not familiar with. In the image, the rescuer on the right seems to have some 4 to 1 system hooked to them and the litter. What is that setup for and what is it called, why is MA needed here?
    thanks

Name:  highlinerigging.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  29.4 KB
    Last edited by MichaelXYZ; 03-08-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Forum Member

Aztec Kit (AKA set of fours, mini-haul, or mini-MA). Used as litter attendant attachment to facilitate attendant movement around the basket during the operation. Easier to use MA since you are moving your own body weight up or down. Could also be done with a prussic, purcell, or any mechanical ascender/rope grab, for obvious reasons the SOFs are much more versatile and are becoming widely accepted thanks to the RTR guys. I'm sure Eric could weigh in with more detail.
    John D. Calamia, BS, NREMTP, FP-C
    Firefighter/Flight Paramedic
    Broomall, PA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelXYZ View Post
    I was looking for Az Vortex video's and I came across one where I saw some rigging that I am not familiar with. In the image, the rescuer on the right seems to have some 4 to 1 system hooked to them and the litter. What is that setup for and what is it called, why is MA needed here?
    thanks
    That's one of the uses of the AZTEK / Arizona Technician's Edge Kit, and more Reed Thorne slickness. Rescuer uses the MA end of his kit as the connection to the yoke. Provides full mobility to move up and down as needed mid op. It's much easier for the rescuer to negotiate an overhang with a loaded basket if the rescuer can adjust position to above the patient. Bottom of thighs just above patient... Or, rescuer may need to call for stop and move below patient to clear vegetation or loose rock. Or, rescuer may go to vertical for whatever reason and need to adjust position relative to patient. Or, to re-level basket after log rolling to clear obstructed airway by letting out on litter Purcells. Or... Or...

edit- jdc posted while I was writing. Unintentional repeating of his points...
    Last edited by EricUlner; 03-08-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: clarification

Forum Member

Okay thanks, that makes sense. BTW, what does SOF stand for?

Forum Member

Thanks guys, one more question, I don't see a prusik in the image, where or how do you lock off the MA system?

Forum Member

Okay thanks, that makes sense. BTW, what does SOF stand for?
    Set-of-Fours

SOF, Mini MA, Jigger, Fiddle Block, etc. All the same. Different terms from different industries.

Forum Member

Thanks guys, one more question, I don't see a prusik in the image, where or how do you lock off the MA system?
    Look more closely at the top section of the MA. You'll notice the orange Prusik. It's clipped into the becket, which is on the side of the double sheave pulley. Notice also that at the bottom of the MA, there is a blue Prusik, which is sticking out as it is not clipped in. When needing to let go of the MA and yet have it hold, one of the Prusiks are connected to its becket.

All that being said, the guy in the picture has his backwards. The Prusik should be connected at the rescuer end in order to manage it while self-lowering. If the top one is connected, rescuer cannot self-lower beyond the reach of the orange Prusik.

Incidentally... The ends of the AZTEK Elite have color coded pulleys. If you use one in your basket rigging- the AZ Tri-Bridle - remember that it should be rigged "blue to shoe", as in blue pulley toward the feet of the victim. For the rescuer, it's "blue to you". The Tri-Bridle SoF should have the orange Prusik pinned at the becket so as to allow the rescuer to tend when flagging the litter downward into vertical orientation.

Forum Member

Cool, I think I got it. You sure are expert in this field, would love to attend some of your training. Well I made a picture, does this look correct?

Name:  rescueattachment.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  17.7 KB

Forum Member

Cool, I think I got it. You sure are expert in this field, would love to attend some of your training. Well I made a picture, does this look correct?
    Well I appreciate your words Michael, and would be psyched to see a hungry rigging geek like you learning in a course from a rigging geek like me. But I see that you're in CA. To get to my place in IL, you'd be passing by Reed Thorne early in your trip, and you'd be passing by Kevin Frye and Greg Powell nearly immediately. Check the open enrollment page at the RTR web site to see if something fits your schedule. Other stuff will likely be added, as we're still early in the year. It doesn't represent everything, as not all training is open enrollment. And while you're at it, take a look at the link to the AZTEK and how it goes together. You'll find that helpful.

Given the limitations of the rigging graphics in your app, yes, that's close enough. Your drawing appears to have two single sheave pulleys, which would create a 3:1 complex for the rescuer to pull himself up. If they're double sheave, as with the AZTEK, that creates a 5:1 complex for the rescuer to pull himself up. Remember there's a strand of rope in the hands of the load, which is also the hauler. The capture Prusik doesn't go on that strand. It should be inside the system, which you'll clearly see if you go to the page for putting together the AZTEK.

Forum Member

Thanks Eric, I did not know you were part of RTR, that explains the expert thing. I was just checking out RTR today because I was looking for a Rope tech class and a tower rescue class. I will definitely look more into your training. How are RTR certs viewed by the industry, CA has some strange rules. I guess I should ask question private... So far, my only training is in confined space tech and Low angle rope, so I have much to learn.

Thanks

Forum Member

Don't let it be said I don't like accuracy. Closer?

Name:  aztekrig.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  20.8 KB

Forum Member

Attachment 22819
    With respect to the rescuer's MA, yes, except the capture Prusiks don't look quite right. Only one end should be connected at any time, and it shouldn't be on the outer strand in the hand. The two Prusiks should be opposite each other on the next strand in from the one in the hand.
    Last edited by EricUlner; 03-10-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: clarity

Forum Member

Attachment 22819
    And for more finesse...

The carabiner between the rescuer and his MA- Gate should be downward with gravity and toward the body, not the rail of the basket, where it can be pushed open. Use the shortest biner possible, or even better, use a short screw link for that connection instead. That will give you another inch+ of collapse-ability for when you'd want to be just above the patient. And further on that subject, the carabiner on the top end of the rescuer's MA can be deleted if you use an AZTEK Elite, and then hard tie your yoke knot through the built in swivel.

Forum Member

Thanks Eric, appreciate the time you take to help out. I will attempt to correct my drawing to reflect the Aztek. The ELite setup looks strange, is that just a screw attaching the eye to the pulley? What is that floating prusik for?

Name:  aztek_system_lrg.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  43.1 KB

Forum Member

The screw is just to hold the cover on that keeps the sewn loop from coming off the post or horn that the loops slips over. The whole thing is designed to be as compact as possible. You can collapse the system until the two pulleys actually bump into each other... no wasted head space.
    Anyway there are two prusiks, blue and orange. The intent is for you to use which ever one you need, depending on which end of the Aztek you have access to.
    Picture the orange pulley hanging on a tripod and you're harness is attached to the blue pulley. You want to lower yourself to perform a task. You'd pin (using the quick release, push button pin) the blue prusik into the blue pulley. That way you could mind or tend the prusik while you lower yourself.
    If you had connected the orange prusik to the orange pulley you couldn't lower yourself very far; the prusik is out of reach very quickly (arms length).
    Now let's say that another person is going to do the lowering. They need the orange prusik attached (to the orange pulley) so they can hold it back during the lower.... make sense?
    By the way... if you pin the blue prusik to the orange pulley (or visa versa) the prusik doesn't hold; you're on the wrong side of the prusik minding pulley.
    One more thing. Kind of hard to tell but it looks like the pulleys are not reeved correctly. Take a look at the link http://ropesthatrescue.com/images/AZ...r%203-8-08.pdf, it will give you the directions on how to minimize the twisting and rubbing in the pulley system.
    Hope that helps.
    Dave

Forum Member

Thanks Dave, that makes sense. Well I tried making the Aztek with my drawing program, but it just wont let me reeve the pulleys as shown in your handout. Below is the closest I could get. I think I have the prusiks on the right legs. This thread got me interested in highline rigging. I been looking at the Kooteney rigging. Quite an elaborate setup and equipment intensive, but very cool. What do you think about me starting a Kooteney thread?

Thanks

Name:  aztekkit.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  57.3 KB

Forum Member

Thanks Dave, that makes sense. Well I tried making the Aztek with my drawing program, but it just wont let me reeve the pulleys as shown in your handout. Below is the closest I could get. I think I have the prusiks on the right legs. This thread got me interested in highline rigging. I been looking at the Kooteney rigging. Quite an elaborate setup and equipment intensive, but very cool. What do you think about me starting a Kooteney thread?

Thanks
    Michael, you can trust Dave's information. With a mustache like his, you have to.

Forum Member

Thanks
    Regarding your interest in discussing high lines... my advice is to instead focus on:
    1. dialing 2 dimensional, down and down, and then down and up rescues.
    2. Then move to offsets/3-dimensional movement- tag line, guiding line, tracking line, skate block, and deflection.
    3. Then blend a couple offsets together, such as tag with deflection.
    4. Then move on to up and down rescues. Focus on this stuff, and you'll have 90+% coverage of anything you encounter.
    5. Then high lines.

I think I've mentioned it before, but moving to high lines in week 2 of training, and skipping offsets, is unrealistic and a set-up for problems later.

Thread Information