Forum Member

Default Rescue 42 Struts, Thoughts on changes

I have been looking at a set of Rescue 42 struts, used both in practice and in extrication, Have been impressed with them but I do believe I would like to Re-work them ever so slightly. Is there any one out there that Is using them that has any complaints or suggestions
    ? The set that I have been looking at has been the metal set, have not got to play with the Composite set nor do I have any desire to. the only other thing I have to add is what is everyone's thoughts on the weight capabilities of the Rescue 42?
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

**Disclaimer, I am a sales rep for a Rescue 42 dealer** I am curious what your issue is with the composite struts. I have had no complaints from anyone that has them already and they are much lighter than steel.

My department has another brand of struts and the Rescue 42 is by far more user friendly. Do head to head comparisons. Try to set them up with gloved hands. Then train at night in poor lighting. See which one works best for your department.
    Last edited by GFD940; 03-15-2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: grammar

Forum Member

Its not that i have a Issue necessarily with the composite material, I just don't Like that option when compared to steel. As far as the weight is concerned we are Firefighters getting equipment from the Engine/Truck/Rescue and carrying it to the scene, 10-15 pounds shouldn't be that big of a deal. ( no resentment or attitude intended) As a 42 dealer what are the weight capability of the rescue 42 compared to say a Paratech?
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

That's what I needed to know! All steel struts aren't created equal. At full extension Res-Q-Jack and Rescue 42 are both rated at 4,000 lbs. at full extension. So if price and capacity are the same, why not save carrying a some extra lbs. Where I come from cars don't roll over in the road, they are usually 50 feet out in a cornfield.

The Paratech TVS struts work great as well and are rated at 10,000 lbs at full extension. Downside is they are not as compact and it may be a challenge to store them. I encourage customers looking at struts to bring in as many companies as possible and pick the one that best suits your needs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rescue 42's composite is not what you what, Res-Q-Jacks or Paratech struts are much better. If your going to do any lifting, the 42' are questionable at best. Several of our 42's had to be fix or replace because of small fractures in the struts. In fact we use a fractured one to show students how unsafe and unreliable they are.

Forum Member

Would be interested to see if the damaged occurred because you were using them incorrectly.

Forum Member

We have had great luck with our composite Rescue 42's in the time that we have had them. I do wish that there was some kind of different foot attachment (maybe some kind of ball joint) so you could use the A-Frame head to create an artificial high directional for rope rescue. (obviously not important for the stabilization aspect, but something I would like to see nonetheless)
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information