MembersZone Subscriber

Any new DJ's today? Anyone have a total count of DJ's out so far?
    BB

MembersZone Subscriber

My fire department was part of a 4 department regional grant for turnouts and SCBA's and the host department got the DJ last night. I knew I should have followed my gut and applied seperately lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    My fire department was part of a 4 department regional grant for turnouts and SCBA's and the host department got the DJ last night. I knew I should have followed my gut and applied seperately lol
    Not knowing any demographic info having the 2 highest priority projects in the same grant was probably expensive. To increase the chances of success I would have split the project in 2 with 2 different hosts.

There are 2 possible reasons for the DJ as well.

1) Have any of the 4 departments ever recieved an AFG grant for SCBA and/or PPE? If so, then the application was doomed from the start as that grant had to be listed in the application. The AFG will not duplicate equipment that was awarded in previous grants.

2) Did any of the departments file an individual application for SCBA and/or PPE? As that can't happen the regional and individual application will be tossed as well.
    Last edited by onebugle; 03-14-2013 at 07:47 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question for one of the experts. If you are getting knocked out in a technical review issue....is it after computer and before peer review, or after peer? i.e. if you are getting knocked out by technical review issue, would those rejections have come with the CDJ's this week or later?
    BB

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BB3939 View Post
    Question for one of the experts. If you are getting knocked out in a technical review issue....is it after computer and before peer review, or after peer? i.e. if you are getting knocked out by technical review issue, would those rejections have come with the CDJ's this week or later?
    The technical and program office review occur after peer review and for only those applications that have made it to the funding level. This is completed prior to recommending the grant for an award. During this process is when quantities and/or costs can be reduced. Now that the CDJ's have come out, the PR DJ's will come at a later date.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BB3939 View Post
    Tech review occurs after peer review and just prior to award.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Have all the CDJ's been sent out or can we expect another round?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KLN201 View Post
    Have all the CDJ's been sent out or can we expect another round?
    depends who you ask...

Forum Member

Supposedly a bunch that didn't make it didn't get emails either to personal or the portal, so could have been intended to be one shot but a burp in the system stopped the emails. Happened before. Don't know if they have the code set to start from where it stopped or not, so like FP from last year everyone may get 2 emails if you got one this time around.

Forum Member

Default Wtf?

I was just checking (again) for any updated DJ's or 1199's in the portal and found the sequestration letter from 3/5 as new mail again for all of my apps. I read these all before on the portal and they were all in the old mail section the last time I checked. Any one else have that happen?

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh for crying out loud FEMA, again? Really? It took me three hours the other day to clear all these notices out of my client's mailboxes and now I have to do this all over.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

I just checked and the sequester email was showing up as a new message for my current application, however it still showed an old date on the email.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    Not knowing any demographic info having the 2 highest priority projects in the same grant was probably expensive. To increase the chances of success I would have split the project in 2 with 2 different hosts.

There are 2 possible reasons for the DJ as well.

1) Have any of the 4 departments ever recieved an AFG grant for SCBA and/or PPE? If so, then the application was doomed from the start as that grant had to be listed in the application. The AFG will not duplicate equipment that was awarded in previous grants.

2) Did any of the departments file an individual application for SCBA and/or PPE? As that can't happen the regional and individual application will be tossed as well.
    Is it always the case that a department that received an award for something and then applies again will be denied? Say a department got something ten to fifteen years ago and then re-applies. I realize NFPA standards may come into play, but I can think of some examples (communications equipment, TICs, or medical evaluations) where timing is less of an issue, compared to SCBA or PPE. Just wondering...

Forum Member

There have been cases where agencies have received repeat awards for PPE, but in the case of SCBA, if you received it through an AFG award, it is still likely within 1 NFPA standard cycle and thus will not be considered for another award. Still too many departments out there working with really old stuff looking for their first award.

MembersZone Subscriber

It wasn't always the case up till this past year but it was always the intent. This is going back to the adage I always preach in my classes; the grants are a hand-up and not a hand-out. It is now pretty much a fact that if you have previously had an award for something that they are not going to "bail you out" financially, a second time.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Default Anyone know if the rest of the missed DJ's went out as of today?

Been watching for the 1199a on replacing our 30 year old, fire prone tanker. Hope to hear some good news soon, before it catches on fire again.

Forum Member

DJ machine got fixed. Just finally got an e-mail on an FV app I was informed did not make peer. (Replacement of 1957 front line pumper )

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep they are hitting again as we speak. These are still computer DJs folks not from peer review yet. Bad news for many, if you survive until tomorrow without a letter chances are you went to peer panel. Good luck to many, condolences to those receiving letters! Some of you getting letters may wish to consider getting in class to find out how to improve your odds at getting past computer and surviving peer. I still have a few classes left before 2013 AFG will open.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Does anybody know about how many apps went to peer review?

Forum Member

Wish they would post on Portal--- Errrr
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

"Dear John" just struck my inbox with a denial for an ambulance. The "computer" says our fleet of ambulances are too new to be replaced. Ugh!

On the other hand..our communications award will be in tomorrows award list! Whoooo! Hooo!

MembersZone Subscriber

Got our letter today for replacing an '85 engine. The good news we did get a 1199 for our TICs. Thanks Kurt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Received DJ today for a regional project, still no DJ or 1199a for our individual equipment grant.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=McMechen VFD;1361514]Wish they would post on Portal--- Errrr[/QUOTE

Mine posted in the portal and by email.

MembersZone Subscriber

r
    Quote Originally Posted by McMechen VFD View Post
    Wish they would post on Portal--- Errrr
    They are John they are just slowe
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information