Forum Member

Default Here come the DJ's... in PDF!

Got bombed for my SCBA grant today. The worst part is that an email said only it was "important information", so until I got to an actual computer, I thought it was GOOD news.

It wasn't. Essentially, "Better luck next time, sucker!" It was quite a tease, having that PDF and a phone without enough memory to open it. O, the joy I felt until I got back to the office!

Why on earth in a PDF?? The body of the email is just fine for bad news, thank you.
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 03-12-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Got one here too, only for a vehicle grant though. Better luck next time. Just glad they finally got these out so I don't have to keep wondering what will happen.

Forum Member

I wasn't really wondering!
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like for right now they are going to the email primary contact and are not listeo in the online portal yet.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Are the DJ's a mass dump into the email...or are they going out one at a time?
    BB

Forum Member

found 2 DJs on the online portal.
    I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Forum Member

One updated 1199 about two weeks ago with questions received Friday, one dj today and two still with no movement.
    Last edited by hfdfiremedic32; 03-12-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Forum Member

Must have just been Vehicle Applications DJ's Only Today!
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Look up. EastKy got hit for a scba request

Forum Member

I got bombed for gear washer and quick attack on teh portal. Still have in another app for gear and one for a tanker for the neighbors. I hope I did better for them than us. I am glad we had Kurt come up so at least I know why we lost out and not guessing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    I got bombed for gear washer and quick attack on teh portal. Still have in another app for gear and one for a tanker for the neighbors. I hope I did better for them than us. I am glad we had Kurt come up so at least I know why we lost out and not guessing.
    did you get both equipment and Vehicle DJ's Today?
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Got dj'd for hose today don't really understand, the hose we were trying to replace was 15 years old. Didn't get one for our vehicle app but i got a feeling its coming

MembersZone Subscriber

The Fire Chief called me to bear the bad news. It came through email. Must have been a form letter as it said one of the reasons for refusal was possibly that the vehicle we were replaying wasnt older than other apps. WOW, I would love to see someone running an aerial first due over 43 years old.....

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not done holding my breathe and based upon me running through my clients grants I don't know whether to be happy or still apprehensive at this point. On one hand I found 2 grants one for a vehicle and one for another ops grant with online rejection notices. I don't have a lot of client's calling me or alerting me that they have received a DJ. I don't know if this is a sign that all the rest of the grants made it to peer, at which point I would be ecstatic, or should I be cautiously optimistic at this point and think that not all the notices have landed in the mail boxes at this point. I guess when I run them in the morning and don't see anymore I will have to have a banner celebrations day. Just law of averages speaking here I don't think that all of my grants would have made it past peer but its looking good this year!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt, You partially answered the question I am about to ask.

Other than Kurt, anyone have a handle on or any intel on whether all the computer DJ's have been sent?

Anyone know how many DJ's were sent today?
    BB

Forum Member

This was a partial release, so there are more CDJs to come. Not that you all wanted a reason to be waiting for the other shoe....but one of our clients needed emergency approval to replace an ambulance since they lost 2 of their 4 within a month of each other. Asked, and was told go ahead since it didn't make Peer anyway, no sense in waiting. They didn't get one to the portal, and while the DHS rep could have told them wrong, isn't likely. There is probably another release coming this week. So far the PDFs I've been forwarded have all had emails online also so since this is the first PDF emailing it was probably a small release to make sure as little as possible blew up. Or it did halfway through and they're still working on it....

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea I knew I , or should I say my clients, were not that lucky to have escaped this so easily. I'm good but not good enough to think that all of my apps, sans 2, got through computer unscathed. Stay tuned folks more bad news and good news to come I am quite sure.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Found 2 CDJ's through the AFG email; 1 OPS & 1 VEH.

Forum Member

I didn't get anything. No DJ. No 1199. What does this mean? It was for a vehicle grant (replace 33 year old open cab engine).

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by medstudent13 View Post
    I didn't get anything. No DJ. No 1199. What does this mean? It was for a vehicle grant (replace 33 year old open cab engine).
    Unless the computer DJ shows up a little later; it means the application went to peer review.

Forum Member

I have a 1199A for communications equipment. No computer DJ here today. Still holding strong for a 1199A for a new ambulance!

Forum Member

We received our DJ letter on our engine. Per the PDF letter the age of the fleet got us. I will read it again and discuss with other Officers on what our next steps are.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB35 View Post
    We received our DJ letter on our engine. Per the PDF letter the age of the fleet got us. I will read it again and discuss with other Officers on what our next steps are.
    That seems to be the general consensus that everyone is getting so I am assuming the letter was simply a default for everyone and nothing specific per your request.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got one on a app for an ladder truck for a neighboring department i worked with. Still have a brush truck, commo, and a tanker app for my department and an adjoining with no DJ or love.

Got 1199a on PPE for neighbor, and award on a safer.

Forum Member

All of the letters are generic, and for the most part not accurate. One of the 3 Ops we found for clients pointed to not meeting NFPA standards on the request. The only spot the computer scores this metric is in Request Details, where you indicate what standards the project will meet. Marked as meeting the Standards, Standard numbers listed in text box, and that's all that deals with those areas. Obviously a programming error somewhere in the letter generation portion. All they do is mark certain conditions to be checked in the app, and then if found it copies and pastes the blocks of text from the Guidelines into the letter. Many moons ago, I did such things as the software developing-type guy, just a bunch of "IF this THEN that" and similar algorithms. It's not a hard process within single conditions, but there could be a rats nest of code when there are multiple conditions, if the coding wasn't done right.

So overall, the thing to take away from a CDJ is: there wasn't enough money to go around, and other people scored higher this time around. The Tower that's pending this year was a 2010 and 2011 CDJ, no real updates other than statistics since 2010, and maybe one close call that got added. Other than that, the reasoning is still the same from 2010. Regardless of who does them, a solid application will get funded, just may take more than one submission in the highly competitive areas.

Thread Information