Forum Member

Default Modified Versatckle

The versatackle, somewhat like a trucker hitch, this hitch has MA and is quite useful in my opinion, albeit unknown. http://notableknotindex.webs.com/Versatackle.html

I thought this configuration would make a good method for creating guy lines. I took the versatackle and added a prusik as shown in image below. Do you see this as something useful?

Attachment 22823

Forum Member

I've seen it used for guying.

Another common way to guy is to run a rope or 8 mm cord back and forth between the anchors until you have a non-working 3:1. The rope is then team tensioned and tied off with two half hitches. Sometimes a prusik is added to hold the tension while tying off.

I've also seen webbing used instead of rope. Sandwich the last turn of webbing between two other previous layers of webbing; during tensioning you get a "pinching" effect that holds the tension until it's tied off.

AZTEK jiggers are also commonly used for guying applications. Very spiffy.

Forum Member

The aztek sure is spiffy, but at $250. per guy line, that gets quite expensive.

Forum Member

If you need more mechanical advantage, you can just add more loops as in image.

Attachment 22826

Forum Member

I'm not following your picture. What do you suggest the MA is and did you add an extra rope in there?
    I used to be DCFDRescue 2. Forum changover locked me out.

www.rescue2training.com

Forum Member

Looks like the prusik in drawing #2 needs to be on the other line? In order for more MA to be added, the biner on the right would need to move as well, which would necessitate a stationary biner on the anchor on the right This will create a dirty complex MA, way more than what is needed in this application. Could be another way for a pre-tensioned back tie to place two marginal anchors in series. I don't care for the butterflied biner, move it back to the anchor, it keeps it cleaner. Also, not sure of the need for more than a dirty 3:1 MA if you're guying or even back-tying for that matter. All you're looking for is to oppose tension, not lift. Adding more clutters it up & uses more equipment. Rig with the KISS principle in mind!
    John D. Calamia, BS, NREMTP, FP-C
    Firefighter/Flight Paramedic
    Broomall, PA

Forum Member

oops, I wanted to clear room in my attachment folder so I could post another image and it looks like when I deleted the file in my attachment folder, it also deleted the file in my post. So it seems that if I want to post anymore images, I have to delete some in my folder which is not a good option as it screws up older threads. This seems silly.

Forum Member

I think for the purpose mentioned, guying and such, I like to use a good old sheep shank, though it is not "self-locking" and does need to be tied off. This would certainly work, though I would still probably tie it off.

Thread Information