Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Dekalb county ga fire department

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by footrat View Post
    Were you fired because you can't read or write in English?

The PAT consists of several events. It's been a minute since I've had to do it or watch it, but here's what I can remember:

-Approximately 200 lb. dummy drag, 50 ft. down, around a cone, 50 ft. back, put it down.
    -20? axe strikes on a hard rubber pad
    -10? full turns of a hydrant wrench on a hydrant. VERY easy to turn, as it's a prop, not a functional hydrant.
    -Dry hose section drag, 50 ft. down and back.
    -Walk about 100 feet, take a roof ladder down off a rack, touch it to the ground, place it back on the rack.
    -Pick up a hose pack, carry it to the 4th floor of the tower, set it down.
    -Proceed to the 5th floor, pull a rolled section of hose up to the 5th floor and over the rail using a rope.
    -Proceed to the 7th floor (roof), wave over the edge.
    -Go back to the 4th floor, pick up the hose pack, take it to the bottom, drop it.
    -Pull the starting rope on a prop saw 5 times, pick up the saw, use the saw to push down against a weight, set the saw down.

You're done when the saw gets set down.

I don't remember what the max time is.
    Thanks for the info! do you know if it is just pass/fail or are you ranked based on time?

Forum Member

When I did it, there was a max time, either 12 or 15 minutes, I can't remember. I think 8-10 minutes is a good time, and I'm sure they rank the performance and consider it with all other qualifying factors for employment.

I forgot to mention that you're wearing work gloves and an SCBA (no facepiece, just the pack).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by footrat View Post
    When I did it, there was a max time, either 12 or 15 minutes, I can't remember. I think 8-10 minutes is a good time, and I'm sure they rank the performance and consider it with all other qualifying factors for employment.

I forgot to mention that you're wearing work gloves and an SCBA (no facepiece, just the pack).
    Appreciate it

Forum Member

Thanks for all the info footrat. Anybody know what the starting $ amount is?

Forum Member

And doesn't dekalb do Kelley days?

Forum Member

How's the PAT going for everyone that has already taken it?

Forum Member

It went ok. Stay away from caffeine and energy drinks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unknown on the starting pay, but if you did a little research I'm sure you could find it.

We have a liberty day every 9th shift.

Forum Member

How'd you guys do on the PAT? Any news in the next step?

Forum Member

I got a time of 7:29. The guy from HR said he would let us know in 3-4 weeks on application status and the next step. They said they only did the PAT for 4 days and invited 40 each day so the group is thinning out. We had 27 people show up today. What was y'all's time on the PAT?

Forum Member

I got 6:05, there were about 30 there also. I left early so I'm not sure how many made it or DQ'd. Does anyone have info on the background process?

Forum Member

I got 6:45 on mine last week. 27 ppl at my test and I heard 17 passed. I got a call from HR a few days after asking about my EMT status and that I would hear back in 3 to 4 weeks about the interview.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybird9 View Post
    I got 6:45 on mine last week. 27 ppl at my test and I heard 17 passed. I got a call from HR a few days after asking about my EMT status and that I would hear back in 3 to 4 weeks about the interview.
    Wow, that's good. I take it they're taking those with certs first. Did you go on the 2nd, or 3rd? I went on the 3rd and there seem'd to be quite a few with certs already.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grellopc View Post
    Wow, that's good. I take it they're taking those with certs first. Did you go on the 2nd, or 3rd? I went on the 3rd and there seem'd to be quite a few with certs already.
    I went on the 2nd. And yea it seems to me like those with their Advanced EMT cert will get first preference.

Forum Member

When it comes time to talk money, they'll call you with a conditional job offer. At that point, they may have already considered your qualifications and experience in the offer, but even if they do, it may be negotiable. When I was hired, other people in my class negotiated a higher starting pay based upon their experience and certs. I was so happy to get the offer that it didn't even cross my mind to say something.

To expound on the Kelly day question: we don't get traditional Kelly days- that is, an unpaid day off every quarter or so. We get a PAID day off every 9th shift. The trade-off is that our liberty days are done to avoid paying overtime. That means that there is no chance of working overtime.

Forum Member

I went on the first day...I think i was the 10th or 11th person in line. I got a 6:40 time. There was a good number under 40 in attendance, maybe high 20's.
    I also got a call a few days ago asking about the status of my EMT Cert. I don't have mine but am currently in EMT school.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chzwolfe87 View Post
    I went on the first day...I think i was the 10th or 11th person in line. I got a 6:40 time. There was a good number under 40 in attendance, maybe high 20's.
    I also got a call a few days ago asking about the status of my EMT Cert. I don't have mine but am currently in EMT school.
    How much longer do you have to go to get your EMT cert.? I don't have one, and didn't receive a call either. Just thinking out of 880 applicants, they're already down to about 100. How many would have certifications already, and if they'll need to run an EMT class.

Also does anyone know if there is a set or tentative start date for the Academy?

Forum Member

I'm in the same boat I hope they do an EMT-A class for the academy. I am only an EMT basic.

Forum Member

same here. I'm currently in my bridge course from basic to advanced and will be done in late June but not sure if that will line up with the start of the academy or not.

Forum Member

How much longer do you have to go to get your EMT cert.? I don't have one, and didn't receive a call either. Just thinking out of 880 applicants, they're already down to about 100. How many would have certifications already, and if they'll need to run an EMT class.

Also does anyone know if there is a set or tentative start date for the Academy?

I still have a few months till I finish. I don't think that im going to finish in time before they start hiring. I know a number of certified guys that took the test and didn't score high enough. I have a friend that i can go to for some information and he says that they were calling around to see who had theirs already and it wasn't a whole lot. They may not have enough to complete the class that they were hoping for.

I don't know what the exact start date would be

Forum Member

chzwolfe8, when you say they didn't score high enough on the test. Are you referring to the written or PAT? Did you receive your written test score?

Forum Member

chzwolfe8, when you say they didn't score high enough on the test. Are you referring to the written or PAT? Did you receive your written test score?
    From what I was told they didn't score high enough on the written test, never made it to PAT. The two guys I new that took the PAT scored in the 8min range. I didn't get my actual scores, just that i made high enough to move on the the PAT which I got a 6:40

Forum Member

I got invited to the PAT, and then uninvited about 4hrs later..Lol..Said I didn't score high enough on the written. I think I had scored like a 84 or 86..Can't remember..I can't seem to get over the mid 80's on the CWH test...Good luck to everyone continuing on in the process!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chzwolfe87 View Post
    I still have a few months till I finish. I don't think that im going to finish in time before they start hiring. I know a number of certified guys that took the test and didn't score high enough. I have a friend that i can go to for some information and he says that they were calling around to see who had theirs already and it wasn't a whole lot. They may not have enough to complete the class that they were hoping for.
    I don't know what the exact start date would be
    they might not have enough Advanced EMTs? Hopefully that means they just put people through their EMT training.

Forum Member

Any news yet?

Thread Information