Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Dekalb county ga fire department

Forum Member

Default Dekalb county ga fire department

Does anyone know the steps of the hiring process for dekalb county fire department?

Forum Member

Forum Member

I was laid off from DeKalb approx 2 years ago. Great department, county is just not run very well. I would say this would not be the most stable job at the time. I doubt they are even hiring.

Forum Member

breese, i'm sorry to hear that. I remember hearing that in the news. Did you end up at ATL?

Forum Member

I saw their announcement opened up from March 18-20. Anyone know if they're hiring? and why such a small window?

Forum Member

Dekalb as other departments has had their issues through this difficult enconomic times. It sucks that they had to lay off some of the best recruits trained in the past 10 years. The department still has some great people working for it and are looking for some more. We have a traditional pension, one of the last in metro Atlanta and a liberty day( kelly day) every 9th shift. Only the city of Atlanta fights as much fire as we do. Some of the best spec apparatus equipment in the Metro area. Highest pay no. The best experince and opportunity with a young department. I am not sure why they have such a short window, but if interested don't wait, apply then consider your options. Message me if you have questions, I am a Captain on "A" shift.

I also work on A shift. I stay at Dekalb because I love to fight fire, and we're one of the last departments around that still does, and does it well. A good many of us have part or full time jobs to make up for it.

The process is probably about the same as when I came on. Written test, physical fitness test, background check, interview, offer. When they want to, they can make it really quick. They no longer do a voice stress or polygraph test. I don't think there's a psych eval anymore, either.

Forum Member

I read in the news(we all know how reliable that is) that they are looking to hire 44.

Forum Member

44 is the correct number. They are actually attempting to contact some of the personnel that were laid off, and then hire the rest. The first academy should have 25 recruits in it.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info! Does Dekalb hire from out of state? I'm up from NY and work as a career firefighter at an industrial plant, but would love to work for Dekalb!

Forum Member

The 72 hour application period has closed. Who all put in for Dekalb?

Forum Member

I put in my app. I havent decided if im going to make the trip from texas to dekalb. Anyone know if they give preference to people with cert and when does the academy start.

Forum Member

I believe it said on the posting that previous experience and certifications would be considered.

Forum Member

I put in for dekalb. Hopefully we hear back soon. Good luck to those who applied

Forum Member

I don't know if it's safe to assume the process will move any quicker since the application window was very short. Typically, the postings are open for a bit longer, but I may be looking too far into it. Best of luck to all involved!
    Last edited by FF_America; 03-23-2013 at 01:38 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

We got the approval for 44 recruits before the app process opened. It has closed now and a total of 880 applied. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

In the past, Dekalb has hired from as far away as Alaska. In the past, they've recruited heavily from midwestern/northern states where medics are abundant, and fire jobs are limited. Michigan, Ohio, etc.

Forum Member

Anything they are specifically looking for? Paramedic,Emt-A,Fire 1&2? Saw where it said all certs. will be considered. On the fire side if you are already certified will they be an abbreviated academy or do they make you go through all of the Fire stuff again like they have done in the past? Thanks.

Forum Member

Does Dekalb test? Or do they just accept resumes and interview like Gwinnett?

MembersZone Subscriber

Certs will look good in the process, seeing as you already have experience, but they are not preferred. They make everyone go through our fire academy regardless of previous FF training. The only difference there will be is if you are already a EMT-A or Paramedic. Is so, then you will not go through the EMS portion of the academy.

Thread Information