Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help!

Default Help!

I need some assistance with fiscal 2013 afg my department is writing for new turnout gear and scbas I need some pointers on the narrative or maybe a copy of a successful narrative to help out we are in desperate need our scbas are close to 15 years old and we have guys in tog that's well past the nfpa suggested life span helmets are approx 16 years old

Forum Member

You need to tell them WHY you need new turn-outs and SCBA's. For example, are the turn-outs properly sized for your firefighters, are they worn and torn beyond repair, do they meet current NFPA standards. The SCBA's are they NFPA complaint, are the shoulder and waist straps worn and shredded, do your current ones have the buddy breather connections. The list can go on and on... This will hopefully steer you in the right direction.

Suggestion: There is several people on here that are willing to help you. You need to get into a Grant writing class ASAP. Kurt Bradley (First Responder Grants) Or Brian Vickers (Vickers Consulting Services) is a greatplace to begin. Jeff
    I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Yeah no buddy breather most don't even have a pass device other than 12 year old super pass 2's our newest scba unit is 12 years old same with turnout gear newest stuff we have is from 2005 when we got some state funding to buy 6 sets

MembersZone Subscriber CordovaFire's Avatar

Both are large budget items. Hard to get them on the same grant. I would look to see which is needed the most, SCBA or Gear, and go for it separately. They will look at things in your grant: Are your SCBA 1997 series or older? If not makes it harder to get. Gear needs to be 10 years old, but, with a good narrative you can justify replacement as said above. Its condition can also play a big factor. They will ask in the grant the ages of the gear and SCBA. If you go with Gear only i would suggest adding a gear washer and a gear dryer. You can justify them to take care of your new Gear, can usually get them both for less then $12k. And yes, the grant classes will give you great insight and are well worth the time and fees.

Forum Member

I would definitely recommend a grant writing class. I attended one of Kurt's in Urbana, Il and it opened my eyes and enlightened me on the tricks and tips of grant writing period.

Quote Originally Posted by RTROYCHECK86 View Post
    Yeah no buddy breather most don't even have a pass device other than 12 year old super pass 2's our newest scba unit is 12 years old same with turnout gear newest stuff we have is from 2005 when we got some state funding to buy 6 sets
    Are you in Uniontown, PA? I have already done my last class for PA a couple of weeks ago in Russell. Closest I am going to be to you is Amboy, IL in a few weeks. Info here:

http://firstrespondergrants.com/frg_..._view/class/68
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information