Forum Member

Default Allentown, PA 2013

Any info would be appreciated. Number they expect to hire?

Forum Member

I would not expect major hiring with Allentown FD. The Mayor is expected to cut staffing and take a truck offline. So I wouldn't expect them to take more then 10 total off this list. I'm not affiliated with Allentown FD in anyway so I could be wrong. That's just the information I gathered from a person on the job and a few people I know who live there.
    Last edited by jrm973; 03-22-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling, missing wordage

Forum Member

hmmm...perhaps not the best place to transfer to? If they are cuting staff etc.....bummed out. I was excited to fly out and test for this dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wouldn't bother... they will be lucky to make 5 hires of this list. Department was cut by 20 positions, closed 1 company permanently and are browning out an engine on a regular basis...

Forum Member

Will you take your own advice and not bother with the test? You may be correct they may only take 5 people, but I'm guess somebody who posts "I wouldn't bother" is trying to thin the number of people trying to take the test. So Buck are you not going to "bother" with the test?

Forum Member

jrm...do you have any more info you could share? Trying to decide if I should head all the way out there. I looked up allentown fire and it seems like a great busy place. Im a career firefighter now but my dept is in dyer straits. Dont want to go to a similar situation 100s of miles away.

Forum Member

Not anymore then I have previously posted. I do think Buck is correct I don't think their is going to be many hires. I live about an hour away so I going to make the drive for the test. I'm a Vet so I'll get the points for it, so it kind of makes it worth the try for me and if you are too I would take the test.
    Have you looked at over seas private contract fire suppresion work? I know the goverment contracts for fire fighters for military bases maybe by the time the contract is up your dept will be in a better shape.

MembersZone Subscriber

JRM- I did test. I was only trying to relay that it probably wouldn't be worth the money to fly out. Allentown is still top of my list of places to work... I will continue to test there til I end up getting it. I only have an hour drive, so it wouldn't make sense for me not to. Best of luck to you as well sir, hopefully the results aren't too far away

Forum Member

sorry man you know as well as I do how competitive it gets. I thought you were trying to knock out some comptition, my bad.

Forum Member

I took the test also anyone hear anything about the list? It was posted by this time already last time

Forum Member

Got the results today. Anyone have any updated hiring info?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EC512 View Post
    Got the results today. Anyone have any updated hiring info?
    Got mine today.. where you at on the list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by buck4502 View Post
    Got mine today.. where you at on the list?
    Very low 20's with a 94%, you?

Forum Member

I am new to the forums here and tested with allentown. This was my second time taking their test.. this time around i ended up with a 98% in the top 10. Best of luck to you EC and hopefully I'll be seeing you in the future!

Forum Member

EC512... check your pm's

Forum Member

Anybody else not receive their results yet? I'm starting to think about calling Human Resources.
    Last edited by njlegion; 08-04-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by njlegion View Post
    Anybody else not receive their results yet? I'm starting to think about calling Human Resources.
    I would give HR a ring, its been over a week since I received mine. Not sure if they send them out all at once or in stages. Let us know if you hear anything. Where in NJ are you from?

Forum Member

I'm waiting to hear back from HR for the results. They told me the results were all sent out at once so if anyone else on here hasn't received anything yet I would also call.

engine9guy, I'm all the way up on the West Milford/Vernon border a few miles from NY state

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by njlegion View Post
    I'm waiting to hear back from HR for the results. They told me the results were all sent out at once so if anyone else on here hasn't received anything yet I would also call.

engine9guy, I'm all the way up on the West Milford/Vernon border a few miles from NY state
    njlegion- did you hear back from HR yet?

Forum Member

Ive heard a bunch of rumors about hiring this year, but has anyone heard of possible hiring next year?

Forum Member

@MFD82- No hiring will be done this year. There will be a class in Feb of 14... the size is still unknown. Rumor has it they want to hire 12, but that is all up to the mayor. Where are you at on the list?

Forum Member

Allentown still hiring for February? Whats going on with the academy site? I knew they sold it and were thinking about combining locations with the PD, is this true?

Forum Member

They will not be hiring. The budget was again cut for 2014 so no additional positions will be added. As far as the academy is concerned, I'm not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by doc13mets View Post
    Allentown still hiring for February? Whats going on with the academy site? I knew they sold it and were thinking about combining locations with the PD, is this true?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by engine9guy View Post
    They will not be hiring. The budget was again cut for 2014 so no additional positions will be added. As far as the academy is concerned, I'm not sure.
    Wow that really sucks. How can they continue to cut these budgets. All these towns out in that area are understaffed as it is. What about Bethlehem or Easton anyone know if they will be hiring?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by engine9guy View Post
    Just took a look at the 2014 Budget for Allentown. They have listed as a line item money for 1 recruit to attend the fire academy. Maybe they will hire 1? Good luck to anyone near the top.

Thread Information