MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dilemma in Job offers

Hey,
    Im 24 and I initially started out as a DOD firefighter and when the Base I was at (Fort Monmouth) BRAC, i along with many others were left out in the cold with no preference to go to another base. I have tried over 100 times for anything but without my VET status, I have had no luck. So to make a long story short, I have a dilemma.

I approached the AF about enlisting to do my four years as a FF and based on my ASVAB and all, they said they could offer me the 4 years. Based on my past career history, they also said I could likely skip A school all together since I have everything they would give me anyway, but that's not my concern.

I also have been told, I should be expecting an offer for a Fulltime FF/EMT job in Montgomery County Maryland. The offer should be coming at about the same time I am to sign my contract with the AF.

So my dilemma is, I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.. I am engaged and looking to get married, but im not sure which to choose.

What does the AF pay in the long run?
    Can my wife come with me to wherever I'm stationed?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Forum Member

If you truly believe montogomery is a 200 %%% guarantee

Go with it!!!!

Service is nice, but if you want to be a career firefighter and not one in the Air Force, you would be four years behind, once you get out

Plus unless they have changed mainly air craft oriented, duh, and a little behind on structural. Along with hardly any fires in for years

Your wife might be able to go with you depending on where you go

Unless they have changed 72 hour work weeks one on one off

You hit about e-4 around four years ;;;,

http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

Forum Member

if you decide to go Af, make sure you get it in writing that you will be a firefighter.

One of the harder jobs to get into, and some enlisters lie!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ROGO43 View Post
    Hey,
    Im 24 and I initially started out as a DOD firefighter and when the Base I was at (Fort Monmouth) BRAC, i along with many others were left out in the cold with no preference to go to another base.
    I suspect that you were only a TEMP or TERM NTE/1 Year (with possible extensions)- since it sounds like you were not eligible for the PPP.....Yes? No?

If you were eligible for PP, I find it hard to believe you couldnt get on at Dix/LH/Mcg...Or further south like Dover, APG or in the DC/Va metro area....???
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 03-19-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I wouldn't expect the enlistment paperwork to have an expiration the same as a job offer. Can't you postpone the USAF contract a few weeks to a month giving you the time to see how the county job pans out? I was looking into military options when I was looking for that first career fire job and I don't recall any hard time lines (in fact it seemed like one delay after another). That was the 90s so could be very different from today.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I suspect that you were only a TEMP or TERM NTE/1 Year (with possible extensions)- since it sounds like you were not eligible for the PPP.....Yes? No?

If you were eligible for PP, I find it hard to believe you couldnt get on at Dix/LH/Mcg...Or further south like Dover, APG or in the DC/Va metro area....???
    Also if he had career status he shouldn't have any issues with veterans preference as that only applies to entry positions, not transfer / merit promotion.

Thread Information