Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Prince William County, VA 2013

Test is open until April. Does anyone know if they're looking to hire off this list?

Forum Member

Prince William County does not compile a hiring list that stays active after a round of hiring. If you apply for the position, complete the various tests involved in the process, and are not selected, you will have to reapply the next time they open up for application.

When they accept applications it is for the purpose of hiring from that particular group of candidates. They only accept applications when they are looking to hire.

Hope that answers your question.

Forum Member

Coming from up north. Any info anyone could provide me on this dept and what its like to live in the area would be useful and appreciated

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by panic66 View Post
    Coming from up north. Any info anyone could provide me on this dept and what its like to live in the area would be useful and appreciated
    The department employs roughly 550 firefighters. 20 stations, most of which are volunteer owned. Career personnel staff all of the medic units 24/7, some of the engines are staffed by the county from 6am-6pm, some are 24 hour units.

Base pay for FF/EMT is ~45k, FF/medic is ~50k, but medics receive ALS pay on top of that which puts them ~70k base.

Parts of the county are densely populated, others are rural. Cost of living is pretty high.

Forum Member

4 career guys on an engine? how about the ladders?

Forum Member

4 career guys on an engine? how about the ladders?
    A few of the engines have a minimum staffing of 4, but most require a minimum staffing of 3.

Ladder trucks have minimum staffing of 4, and are only staffed by career personnel during daytime hours.

Forum Member

Any idea how many have applied, and how man they may be looking to hire off this test?

Forum Member

busy dept?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 8truckie3 View Post
    Any idea how many have applied, and how man they may be looking to hire off this test?
    Sorry, not sure.

busy dept?
    It depends on which station and apparatus you're on. The stations on the east of the county tend to be busier than those on the west though. The county is densely populated in some parts and quite rural in others.

Forum Member

well.....took the test. Wasn't hard, but had alot of opinion questions. I wonder how many people freaked when the LT said the lie detector test and the drug question on the PHS ha. He basically said if u put no for NEVER EVER EVER having done pot u would be caught lying on the poly! lol

Forum Member

yeah they wont DQ if you've smoked weed in your life. As long as you tell them that you've done it. And I think it has to be under a certain about of times too. I know for mine the investigator asked me it was under 10 times. But that could have been just so who could base the yes or question on that.

Forum Member

Just wanted pay it forward and pass on some info from my application process experience:

PWC's testing process (after the cpat) is very quick. As you advance, be ready to do a test every 2-3 weeks. If you're from out of state, like me, be ready to travel just as much too (5 trips from ohio). I'm in the July hiring process and was fortunate to finish my medical/final step last week. They don't mess around with scheduling and getting the process done, which is a good thing! So be ready to plan accordingly as needed. Recruitment is very polite and do offer some flexibility, but not too much.

Good luck!

Forum Member

PreMedic, i was also involved in the July process, but havent heard anything since the polygraph about a month ago, do you know if everyone who should have moved on was notified? Or are they still going with more?

Forum Member

Honestly, I'm not sure if they are still moving people through the other steps. There were both medic and non-medic applicants at my medical and they all said it was their last step too.

Sorry I dont have a better answer for you. If you havent heard anything by now, it probably wouldnt hurt to contact recruitment to get an accurate/definite answer.

Anything can happen. You're not out until they say so.

Forum Member

yea, i called after i saw your post, they said that theyre still looking at polys, so we will see

Forum Member

Anyone get called for the July academy yet? Was just curious to see if they started making the calls yet.

Forum Member

I passed my medical and psych a few weeks ago but haven't heard back yet. I'm crossing my fingers, even though I don't have military experience or a medic card...

Forum Member

PreMedic and Noahs, how did you guys make out? You get hired?

Forum Member

Just an FYI, Prince William County is open for hiring again.

Thread Information