Thread: MA residency

MembersZone Subscriber

Default MA residency

I'm one of two full time firefighters on a small combo department. We are represented by Teamsters. I'm curious if anyone ever herd of a situation like the one I'm in.

I was hired in Novemberer of 2011 with a one year probationary period, where I could be terminated without cause. I'm currently and have been a resident of the town here in Massachusettsts. My wife hold residency in another town over 15 miles away, mainly to allow my step daughter to finish high school.

My chief made me sign a 6 month extension to my probation or face termination because he says I don't meet the residency requirment under MGL Chapter 41 sec 9A. http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/Ge...r41/Section99A
    I work a Monday -Friday schedule 8a-5p, I'm not required to respond outside of those hours (but I do).
    I'm in my town Monday - Friday 24/7, on weekends I spend time with my wife and kids out of town (I have a house in northern VT).

My union rep told me there is nothing they can do for me. At one point they told me to hire my own lawyer to get information for them. Even when I let them know my chief told me "it would be very bad for me to make him look like a fool" over this situation and make "an enemy" of him. Also my chief said if I fight it he'll just terminate me without reason. My union has been all but useless to me on this. I guess my question is has anyone in Massachusetts ever been in or herd situation like this? Also any ever hear of MGL chapter 41 section 99a being used for town employee spouses? That seems to be my chiefs biggest problem, my wife not having residency when I do.

Thanks all and stay safe!
    Last edited by mfdLadder1; 03-19-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Forum Member

that does not make any sense.

If I follow your story you do have the required residency??? and it is under your name???

where does your wife live during the week?? with you or in the town where her daugther attends school??

and you only go out of town on the weekends???

so I guess the question is what does your chief want or expect you to do????????????

sounds like the chief only allows a person to won one house, and your spouse must live with you!!!!!!

bad part is your are still under probation.

Forum Member

issues proof of residency.....registered to vote? car registration? driver's license? utilities bill?

Forum Member

If you are living in the town, provide proof, such as rent receipts, tax bills, excise tax payments, utility bills, etc. If you can prove that, your chief cannot do anything about it.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry haven't been on the forum much lately, busy with my 18 month old and our 1 month old.

Deputies, I have provided all of the things you mentioned. The chief will not accept it as proof of residency. I had to sign yet another extension to my probation to end jan 1, 2014. He and my union said if I didn't sign it, I was fired. Sucks to know I can be terminated at anytime without cause while on probation. So I'm looking elsewherere, it's too bad. This is my hometown, I love it here and my partner (the fulltime captain) is one of my best friends.

FYI the chief is also PD chief.

Thanks again all,
    Stay Safe
    Leather Forever

Lt. Ladder Co. 1

The opinions expressed here are my own and do not in anyway, reflect those of my department.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mfdLadder1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry haven't been on the forum much lately, busy with my 18 month old and our 1 month old.

Deputies, I have provided all of the things you mentioned. The chief will not accept it as proof of residency. I had to sign yet another extension to my probation to end jan 1, 2014. He and my union said if I didn't sign it, I was fired. Sucks to know I can be terminated at anytime without cause while on probation. So I'm looking elsewherere, it's too bad. This is my hometown, I love it here and my partner (the fulltime captain) is one of my best friends.

FYI the chief is also PD chief.

Thanks again all,
    Stay Safe
    Does your community have its own "automile"? If it does, I know what community it is and have some info about the "chief"..., or it it the other community that just forced a retirement of the fire chief? I know that one, too and another "police.fire chief" had a hand in that, too.

My union rep told me there is nothing they can do for me. At one point they told me to hire my own lawyer to get information for them.
    Hire an labor attorney, but do not, I repeat, do not give the findings to your "union". They say there is nothing they can do, yet want you to do all the legwork for them.

You can private message me with the information.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

PS: ask to see your personnel jacket and see what the "chief" has in there.
    It is your right to see it.

PPS: re: rent receipts, tax bills, excise tax payments, utility bills, etc.
    This is proof you live there, unless you have everything sent to a post office box.
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 06-17-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the advise Chief, I greatly appreciate it.
    My town is south of you, right on the state border.

Forum Member

In most places you could count on your union to back you, sounds like they're just as bad as the "chief".

Maybe it's time to dust of your resume', and start taking tests in other places. This place sounds like a complete sh_t shop.

Forum Member

Is it stated in your towns policy that you must be a resident or within a certain travel distance from town??

Did they give you a list of acceptable means to prove that you are.
    Sounds like the chief is being petty and wants an excuse to get rid of you.
    The union can't do much as you are probationary.

Thread Information