Forum Member

Default Relief Association Funding

I am proposing a new funding model for Volunteer Firefighters' Relief Associations. I am stating that there needs to be a minimum amount of funding that an association should receive so that they can meet the goals and objectives as set forth in subsection 7413 of Act 205 of 1984.

I am proposing that the minimum amount that an association be funded is $10,000. In 2009 (latest date Auditor General has information posted) there were over 200 associations receiving less than this amount. What I am proposing is that $10,000 be given to each association. The remainder of the funding is then split using the existing formula based on population and real estate value.

Please read the attachment for the full information....Relief Funding Proposal.pdf...and let me know what you think.

Thank you

Forum Member

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Forum Member

Honestly, no. No thoughts. NJ Relief's have so much money it's embarrassing.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

There are several in PA with the same. There are others, however, that are receiving less than $2,000.00 while some get over $700,000.00. I am not saying that the distribution needs to be equal, but there definitely needs to be a minimum.

Forum Member

NJ raises funds for theirs by a percentage "tax" on insurance policies IF the company the policy is from is outside of NJ.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

It is the same in PA. The money is then distributed by the property value and the population of the municipality versus that of the state. This leaves some of the more rural with very little money and unable to meet the goals of the legisltation setting up the funding.

My changes would create a minimum amount without increasing fees or taxes, just changing the formula to distribute.

Forum Member

My personal feeling is all the money should divided equally. we get about 7500 a year. we are a rural area that has no tax base to draw from. If it wasn't for the pa. state grants are equipment would not have gotten replaced.

Thread Information