1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    122

    Default Las Vegas Fire & Rescue Academy Graduation Cancellation

    Here's the story for those unaware:

    http://www.8newsnow.com/story/217250...eating-scandal

    I was one of the last remaining few who made it to the second (Chief's) interview...Felt it went really, really, well. I'm not going into details, but an extremely reliable source told me I was on the list to be hired...that was a Friday. The following Monday I get my fateful email. I was pretty depressed for weeks....but after finding this out...I'm not sure if it was actually a really nasty blessing in disguise.


    First and foremost, out of the 14 cadets, there has to be at least ONE who did not cheat. I can only imagine going all the way through an academy for a really great FD, only to be told two days prior to graduation (was to be February 14th, no less) that the entire class will not be graduating.


    And now, they all have to start the entire process over again.

    Can there be any worse situation to be in (hiring-wise) than this?

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,952

    Default

    Las Vegas spokesman David Riggleman said the cheating was discovered because the answers on the recruits' tests were very similar."""

    so no one watched the class while they were testing??

    were they throwing hand signals or tweeting???

    come on there has to me more, and to can the entire class???

    I guess the class NEVER had a study group??? and maybe some of the questions were what they had seen already

    yes there are as bad or worse hiring processes that have gone on




    http://kutnews.org/post/city-retest-...nts-after-leak




    Bad thing is when they go to apply somewhere else that city may ask if you have tested, or wnet through another cities academy before, and once again they may be lumped in with this group

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    38

    Default

    They probably dropped everyone because they stuck together an no one spoke up. While it does suck that all of them will have to go through the motions again and have that negative mark on their background, it will also show that they can be trusted to not go squeeling to everyone about what they know. Also shows some good loyalty to their fellow candidates.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    254

    Default

    I was hoping that the City would do an entry level recruitment, but it sounds like they are leaning towards another lateral recruitment. The City recently did a lateral recruitment for Firefighter/Paramedic in October 2012.

  5. #5
    C41
    C41 is offline
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Las Vegas spokesman David Riggleman said the cheating was discovered because the answers on the recruits' tests were very similar."""

    so no one watched the class while they were testing??

    were they throwing hand signals or tweeting???

    come on there has to me more, and to can the entire class???

    I guess the class NEVER had a study group??? and maybe some of the questions were what they had seen already

    yes there are as bad or worse hiring processes that have gone on




    http://kutnews.org/post/city-retest-...nts-after-leak




    Bad thing is when they go to apply somewhere else that city may ask if you have tested, or wnet through another cities academy before, and once again they may be lumped in with this group
    I'm with fire49 on this one. Although it's not really my business, it does seem kind of vague on what the issue was. I'm blown away that they would drop a whole class....big loss of investment on the city's part.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    475

    Default

    It's important to remember that personnel issues are confidential. Fire Administration is not permitted to provide any detals of what transpired. I can, however, tell you that they must have had pretty incriminating to terminate the entire class. In this situation everyone loses. This includes the recruits, Fire Administration, and the community.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

  7. #7
    RG
    RG is offline
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    any word on if they will they be restarting the entire testing process again? or are they going to select a new batch from the previous list?

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RG View Post
    any word on if they will they be restarting the entire testing process again? or are they going to select a new batch from the previous list?
    word on the street is they are looking into a lateral hire to get boots on the floor as soon as possible to fill the void created by these 14 who lost their spots. Now, if it will be a Medic only lateral, or another NV PERS employee only lateral.... who knows..

  9. #9
    RG
    RG is offline
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    It's a shame what happened, but integrity is paramount and needs to be upheld. Hopefully the investigation will spare those who had no part.

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kvucinic View Post
    They probably dropped everyone because they stuck together an no one spoke up. While it does suck that all of them will have to go through the motions again and have that negative mark on their background, it will also show that they can be trusted to not go squeeling to everyone about what they know. Also shows some good loyalty to their fellow candidates.
    Assuming your theory is true, are you honestly of the opinion that not "squeeling (sic)" in instances of mass corruption and obvious wrongdoing is a positive characteristic?

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Well, not knowing how many people are suspected of cheating it could go either way. If it's a majority of the class that cheated and they dont suspect all the people that did, then maybe they don't want to speak up and suddenly make themselves known as one of the cheaters. If it's just a couple of people that did, then maybe those guys are sticking together and the others just honestly don't know.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    iwantafirecareer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    72

    Default

    This situation sounds like a scenario question for an interview. If you ever answer it with "I would stick by my fellow recruits and not speak up" you would get 0 points for that one. Lying, CHEATING, and stealing is not tolerated in the fire service. You are expected to speak up in these hard situations. Now not knowing if a few others are cheating and getting punished for it is heart breaking.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What to wear to Fire Academy Graduation ladies?
    By fire2012 in forum Ladies & Support Auxiliary
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-20-2013, 02:44 PM
  2. Fire Academy graduation speech
    By k.fire in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 03:28 AM
  3. Christmas / Academy Graduation Gift
    By Lucid in forum Ladies & Support Auxiliary
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 03:43 PM
  4. Fayetteville Fire Academy Graduation Speech
    By firediver57 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-21-2009, 01:54 AM
  5. Fire with Rescue/Las Vegas
    By webteam in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2000, 12:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register