Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By voyager9

Thread: Countywide ID Accountability System

Forum Member

Default Countywide ID Accountability System

Hello everyone,

I was recently put on a Accountability Committee for my entire county. We are very small rural county in North Carolina with 11 volunteer fire departments. Our departments often mutual aid with other departments and we have never had a countywide accountability system and now we are in the process of trying to create one. My idea was to have every member of every department be issued a ID Card. On the ID card would be the an Photo of the member, their name, their rank, EMS/Fire certifications, and if their chiefs has allowed them to be a interior firefighter. We would have to buy a card maker and other items to make these ID Cards. Any suggestions or ideas?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by treycash View Post
    Hello everyone,

I was recently put on a Accountability Committee for my entire county. We are very small rural county in North Carolina with 11 volunteer fire departments. Our departments often mutual aid with other departments and we have never had a countywide accountability system and now we are in the process of trying to create one. My idea was to have every member of every department be issued a ID Card. On the ID card would be the an Photo of the member, their name, their rank, EMS/Fire certifications, and if their chiefs has allowed them to be a interior firefighter. We would have to buy a card maker and other items to make these ID Cards. Any suggestions or ideas?
    Buy a label maker, some velcro, some sheet plastic, and go to it. You can use colored labels for identifiers as well. You don't have to be all high tech, it's just tags.

BTW, IMHO, if you can't be an interior FF, you're pretty much useless unless you've been on so long that you pretty much are the driver/pump operator.

Forum Member

agree accountabilty tags made out of laminate or whatever it is with velcro on the back and just have a board for each unit, board is brought to the IC, good to go

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-9807765751597_2206_9681197

http://www.eagle-engraving.com/Accou...ty/teamtag.png

you might check the different agencies to see if someone in thier area already has a machine, parks dept or something or a company that would do it for reduced price

Let's talk fire trucks!

Your only barrier to getting this set up is your budget and imagination.

When it comes to an accountability system, keep it as basic as possible. Ask yourself what the basic information you need for the system to be a success. To me, that would be name, rank, department, and whether they're an interior FF or not.

The top link provided by Fire49 is similar to what we use countywide at my VFD. Every member in the county is given a red tag with name and department on it - as soon as each rig leaves the station, the red tags go on a removable ring on that rig. On arrival, the IC or accountability officer will know who arrived on each rig. Interior FF's are also given a second tag, green in color, which is used used to track the members who have gone interior.

At work, we use a passport system that's similar to Fire49's second link. Every member keeps four of the small tags under their helmet. At the beginning of the shift, they put one of their tags on each of wo the URLs (Unit Riding Lists) that's kept on the officer's door. One of these URLs will stay on the rig for the tour, and the other one is to be removed at the scene and given to the IC or accountability officer. I usually take my second URL and place it on the Velcro under the flap of my radio pocket (I use a strap instead of the radio pocket anyway) so I won't have to remember to take it off the door on arrival at a working incident.

I think each of these systems are reliable based on how their rigs are staffed. The system we use at the VFD gives us more flexibility for staffing, home response, POV response, and the like - our success with the passport system was pretty low, which is why the switch was made.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Several years ago our County started a county wide system also. What they came up with was setting up a blank template on power point slide. It was a two sided template. On one side was general information, name, address, emergency contact, doctor, blood type. One the other side there is I think around ten small squares. Each square is used to indicate training levels. Once the slides are made and printed we cut them to size, folded them in half and laminated. They were then hole punched and then added a grommet so they could be put on carabiner Each member received three of these.

Forum Member

The Departments in our County use the velcro tags, a different color for each Department. My Department just switched to a Passport system from these guys:

http://www.imsalliance.com/

We really like it and after seeing it in use there are a couple other Departments that are looking a going to it as well. The nice part about it is that all of the other Departments tags will work with the system even if the don't want to get the whole thing.

Forum Member

You can make your own

Just need to find a city with a machine or pay a local company to engrave

Forum Member

My county has a county wide system. It's a joke. Cards are outdated, members that have left departments still have id cards, new members don't have cards, etc.

For a whole county, you will need quite a staff to actually maintain the system. Our county does not have that.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Each dept responsible for their own with someone totally in charge that each dept has someone report to

MembersZone Subscriber

Our county system can be found here: Personnel Accountability System Guideline

Basically we get two tags: A Riding tag and a Working tag.
    The riding tag gets left on the apparatus. The working tags get collected by the officer on a ring that also identifies the apparatus and then turned into the IC.

Each department in the county is responsible for maintaining their member's tags and there is quite a bit of variability but they all have Name and Dept. Some departments have full-fledged ID-card quality tags while others are heavy stock paper that is laminated.

This is a huge improvement form previous systems.. We used to have a single tag that was left on the apparatus, but then they had be collected once the IC was established. After that we had two tags: One turned into the IC and the other left at the IDLH entry point. Picture a typical SFD/MFD/Hotel and you can imagine how well that worked.
    ChiefKN likes this.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Default Southcentral Kansas

http://www.salamanderlive.com/

In south central Kansas we have are now using the Salamander system. Each firefighter has 2 cards (1 on gear, another in wallet) that has a bar code on front and back, front is qualifications and back is medical information.

Each truck also has a card that has what equipment is carried on the truck.

Several departments have purchased laptop with the card readers.

We started off years ago with the velcro tags which worked but the new tags allow us to easily track firefighters on scene and get reports of who did what and where.

Our county also uses the Grace TPass system that also tracks firefighters on scene.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    Our county system can be found here: Personnel Accountability System Guideline

Basically we get two tags: A Riding tag and a Working tag.
    The riding tag gets left on the apparatus. The working tags get collected by the officer on a ring that also identifies the apparatus and then turned into the IC.

Each department in the county is responsible for maintaining their member's tags and there is quite a bit of variability but they all have Name and Dept. Some departments have full-fledged ID-card quality tags while others are heavy stock paper that is laminated.

This is a huge improvement form previous systems.. We used to have a single tag that was left on the apparatus, but then they had be collected once the IC was established. After that we had two tags: One turned into the IC and the other left at the IDLH entry point. Picture a typical SFD/MFD/Hotel and you can imagine how well that worked.
    Two tag system is also required by the state.

http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/dfs/..._booklet10.pdf
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Back In Black

Double post...........
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Two tag system is also required by the state.

http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/dfs/..._booklet10.pdf
    Good thing the guys at the DFS produced a set of clear, concise, and implementable guidelines..
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Thread Information