Forum Member

Default internal harness vs external harness

We are going to be getting some sort of harness for our bunker pants "internal,external" with our new turnout gear. I would like to here your thoughts,comments,like's,dislike's, pro's,con's on what you have or wish you had from anyone that has a harness. Also do you have to take the external harness out of service after 10 years like your turnout gear?
    Last edited by A.S.F.D 27; 03-24-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Forum Member

I carry a Gemtor 541NYC with a Sterling F4 kit. I like the external harness because I can attach the kit to it and all buckles, carabiners, etc. are easily accessible. Plus, any gear can be retrofitted with loops for an external harness.

No advice on an internal harness for you.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've never seen an internal equivalent to the Gemtor. The closest I've seen is the integrated drag strap on the back/shoulders of the coat.. that's hardly a harness, though.

We were just issued and trained on Gemtor harness and the Sterling F4.. overall a very nice system though I strongly dislike the fanny pack. Once I got the gemtor fitted right I hardly notice its there except for the second clip that has to be attached while donning.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

We just replaced our external Gemtor's with internal harnesses. Personally, can't wait to switch back. The internal harness simply isn't as freely useable as the Gemtor was. I have not found/seen/heard 1 viable advantage to the internal over the external, but have found a couple reasons to go back to the external Gemtor.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

We have internal harnesses in our veridian pants and the drag harness in our coats. I personally like it other than the pain in the @$$ it is to put in and out when you wash your gear.... Lot less things to get hung up on compared to our neighbors who have the external on the same gear.....

Forum Member

I'm issued a pair of Globe G-Xtreme pants with their IH Series 2 Harness. Its a Class 2 internal harness and I have no problems with it. I barely even know its there and I have used it quite a bit in bailout training and have even done a few longer rappels off the drill tower with it and it is very comfortable.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information