Forum Member

Default Any Emergency Management Cordinators Out There?

My county is going to be hiring a new Cordinator and I'm thinking about applying for it. I know the basics of what the job entails, but I'm looking for a more in-depth look at it. What are some of the things that the job entails that may not be so well known and what do you like/dislike about the job. Thanks!

Forum Member

Not one but
    Paperwork
    Long hours
    Getting others to play together

Do you have to get any certs??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Not one but
    Paperwork
    Long hours
    Getting others to play together

Do you have to get any certs??

That is the big one. I look at our state Office of Emergency Services coordinators and am amazed at how tactfully some of them can tell people to get their head out of their butt.

If you are easily frustrated or the type "that tells it how it is", you are probably not going to do well in that kind of a job. The fire service has a lot of egos and there are many special snowflakes. Every department thinks thier way is the best.

A good emergency coordinator requires a lot of diplomacy and the ability to keep gently prodding at issues until everybody gets on the same page and the determination to stick with it regardless of how many times you are told no. It also helps to be realistic and focus on issues that actually matter, and find solutions that work even if they are not the one you prefer.

It is a mostly paperwork job, at best you might be able to get onto an incident command team doing some sort of planning or logistics work. You won't get to play in the field much besides site visits.

When there is a major incident and things go wrong, you can be sure somebody will find a way that it is your fault (if you had just given us that grant we asked for none of this would have happened).

To me one of the more interesting aspects of the job would be getting to see a lot of fire department up close to see how they operate. I'm a bit of a geek that way, I like to see new ways of doing things. I don't think I'd much care for people just seeing me as a walking check book or worse that pain in the butt coming around to tell them how they are doing things wrong.
    Last edited by Here and there; 03-25-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks for the replys so far guys. The actual job description and application packet doesn't come out until next week, but through speaking with our interim cordinator, the previous cordinator, and a couple of EMA board members I've gotten a little insight.

We are a small rural county so the EMA Cordinator responds to pretty much any incident larger than a simple medical call or small grass fire, just to see if anything is needed. Everyone actually works together quite well in our county, at least on the scene. I figured it was a lot of paperwork and politics though. I was told though, that the comission made some changes to the job description so I guess I'm not real sure what to expect. As far as Certs, there would be a couple I'd have to get. According to the Iowa Code you have a very long time to get them though after you're hired.

I appreciate the input so far guys, I'm just trying to do my due dilligence. I'm just the type of person that really wants to know what I'm looking at getting myself into before I start pursuing something.

Forum Member

you might also check to see if it is an exempt position also, as in do you get overtime?? and company vehicle.

do you know if the last person had to be ham radio licensed??

Thread Information