1. #1
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default 1970: Buffalo New York bailout

    http://www.fireengineering.com/conte...capeWindow.pdf

    I predict that somone will go absolutely apoplectic.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    3,081

    Default

    Holy crap.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC


  3. #3
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,028

    Default

    That is pretty intense.

    Ah, that grand old Scott Pak II. I remember thinking when we got those and retired our Scott Pak I's how could it get any better than this?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    That is pretty intense.

    Ah, that grand old Scott Pak II. I remember thinking when we got those and retired our Scott Pak I's how could it get any better than this?
    I remember when I got on back in the day.. we had the Scott 2A's and MSA SCBA's with steel cylinders... what a difference from today!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    I remember when I got on back in the day.. we had the Scott 2A's and MSA SCBA's with steel cylinders... what a difference from today!

    Heck Chief, we had Scott Pak I's with 1800 psi steel cylinders. Then we got Scott Pak II's with aluminum cylinders, which were upgraded to II-A with the don/doff switch. Then we got Scott Air Pak 2.2's...man was that awesome, and now we have Scott AP-50's with carbon cylinders.

    I have to smile when I hear someone complain about how heavy they are.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Heck Chief, we had Scott Pak I's with 1800 psi steel cylinders. Then we got Scott Pak II's with aluminum cylinders, which were upgraded to II-A with the don/doff switch. Then we got Scott Air Pak 2.2's...man was that awesome, and now we have Scott AP-50's with carbon cylinders.

    I have to smile when I hear someone complain about how heavy they are.
    Smile? I am usually rolling on the floor laughing my @$$ off!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Smile? I am usually rolling on the floor laughing my @$$ off!
    Did you ever do the rookie trick of giving them an empty carbon cylinder and telling them to look at the gauge and then giving them a full aluminum or steel cylinder and saying see how much 2200 ponds of air weighs?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Did you ever do the rookie trick of giving them an empty carbon cylinder and telling them to look at the gauge and then giving them a full aluminum or steel cylinder and saying see how much 2200 ponds of air weighs?
    Hadn't heard that one, but I'll have to keep it in mind...

    Rubber coats, 3/4 boots, aluminum helmets....
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Hadn't heard that one, but I'll have to keep it in mind...

    Rubber coats, 3/4 boots, aluminum helmets....
    Yup ... I remember those days, except I had the Johnny Gage/Roy DeSoto plastic helmets and the ole' fireball gloves.

    Started out with the old 2A's without the PP option.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register