Forum Member

Default Too late to get hired for 2013 fire season?

What are the chances of getting hired for this fire season with only First responder, evoc, s130, s190? Also whats the best way to get hired?

I'm a college student and volunteer at my local station, about four months ago I finished my s-130/s-190 certifications. My instructor ran contract trucks out West and told me about working on fire lines during the summer. So I looked into it and its something Id like to do this summer.

So is it to late to get hired this summer and if not how do I get hired rather it be by fed/contract crews?

I know I also need a Red card but I plan on taking my work capacity test later this month.

Forum Member

Most federal units and CAL FIRE have all done their interviews and most of their hiring. Where do you live? what department do you volunteer for?

I would say try to do shifts at your volunteer station during the summer so when you do get some vegetation fires, you will have experience. That goes along way.

You can look into hotshot crews ( but really hard to get on) some may still be hiring. Or you can look into independent hand crews. I say before applying you get your RED CARD ASAP. They wont even look at your application and resume without it. The more certificates, qualifications, and experience the better.

I have friends in the FEDS, Big Municipal Departments ( Sacramento City, Sacramento Metro, San Francisco, etc), and also CAL FIRE. I can ask around and try to get their advice to see if they know any other hand-crews hiring. You may want to look on wildlandfirejobs.com or usajobs.gov

Lastly, if you don't get hired this season, there will always be next year. Try and get a FF! through an academy, your HAZMAT FRO, Confined Space Awareness, and definitely your CAL FIRE 69 hour basic wildland firefighter cert ( If you want an interview with CALFIRE, you pretty much have to have all of these just to be considered for an interview). Most of these certs you can get in a academy, some academies may not offer the 69 hour course, but look into the academy and ask the head person before applying, etc.
    Last edited by Gino_Galli; 04-01-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks a lot I really appreciate all the information. I volunteer at LaCrosse fire-rescue in Florida. I'll be taking my pack test late April out of state or will that be way to late? I was forced to go out of state since Florida forest service has concluded their red card testing till later this year. what are the chance of working on a fire crew in Florida?

Forum Member

I don't know how Florida is during fire season, California is super busy. I would try and apply on usajobs.gov and see if you can apply without it and inform them you will have it on this date and show an enrollment form.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is probably to late for an agency job, but you should look into contract crews that are located near you they usually hire through out the summer as positions become available.
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

Forum Member

Just thought id give you guys an update, I got hired on a type 4 engine with the forest service out of Elko, NV. I got the offer in late may and did my pack test once I got out there. Thanks for the Help guys!

Thread Information