Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FyredUp

Thread: Re-Gen System on new diesel engines

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re-Gen System on new diesel engines

My department recently took a delivery of a new Sutphen Monarch. The rep from Sutphen came down with the truck and put the drivers from the station it will be going through a class to help familiarize us with the truck and all of the components. We went over the new Re-Gen system that is being put on new diesel engines. There is an option on the system where you can select to have the truck Re-Gen itself while you are going down the road as long as you are above 1100 RPMs. The rep said that this prevents the need to shut down
    Can anyone that has been running one of these trucks with Re-Gen give us insight on a policy or procedure that you are using for running the Re-Gen system?

Forum Member

We've been running an E-ONE with an International chassis and power plant since October. It hasn't had to regen once yet. There is a manual override so you can skip it if you're on a scene, our rep said that if you have to use the override it's best to run the regen ASAP afterward.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ours has a Cummins. From what the rep told us it would have to perform the Re-Gen more frequently than a few months.

Forum Member

The re-gen cycle will vary of course due to use.

I drive a Sutphen every 3rd day as well as sell them.

On the lower left, you've got 2 switches. I can't remember exactly what they are, but the outside button is for manual regen and the inner is for lockout of the passive/auto regen.

The inner switch should be kept in the lower position. When it is in the upper position, this does not allow the computer to initiate regen on its own. If this switch is left in the up position, you will eventually get a stop engine and it will derate. This will result in a tow bill to Cummins facility.

The outer switch has a locking tab like the starter button. This is for manual regen. You cannot force a regen if it is not needed. If you get a regen recommended light/msg...you can manual regen then. Some departments have elected to attempt a manual regen every week or so.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

We regen when it is opportune after the regen light comes on on the dash.

In my experience it has to be done about every 2 weeks depending on usage.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    We regen when it is opportune after the regen light comes on on the dash.

In my experience it has to be done about every 2 weeks depending on usage.
    This is pretty close to our experience as well. We most often try and run the "running regen" by taking the engine for an approx. 15 mile trip as soon as we see the initial indicator. I'm not sure why we do the running regen over the static regen, but that's been the first choice of our maintenance officer.

Forum Member

I'd get it out on the highway for about a 20 minute ride..

I have Cummins Insite on the laptop, and a full parked regen usually takes north of 30-40 minutes if I recall. The whole time you have your fingers crossed the body builder properly insulated all the wiring etc as you watch the exhaust temps creep up to about 1200 F.

That said, I have three '09 model trucks at our busiest stations, and have only had to do maybe 4 parked regens between the lot of them over the years.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Truckie

Re-gen: our new e-one has that regen system; you have to do it every 4 or 5 days, it takes 45 minutes, any interruption and you start from scratch, I'm in the city so leisurely road trips at 1100 rpms are out of the question, and as time draws near, your rig will run like crap and it stinks.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

It is not practical for us to take a "Road trip" to regen so we always do the parked regen. I may be wrong but I don't remember it ever taking more than a half hour to do.

Frankly, I think the whole regen thing is stupid and fuel wasting. So either way, whether you do a parked regen, or go gallivanting for either a 15 mile trip or a 20 minute ride as some had said, it is a fuel wasting endeavor. You purposely have to expend fuel to clean the system, hence burning more fuel, meaning more oil has to be pulled from the ground, transported to a refinery, made into diesel fuel, then transported to the fueling station, whether municipal or a private business and in the end put into the fire apparatus. How much more polution is created by all of that necessary to bring the extra fuel for all these regen vehicles across the country?
    RFDACM02 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

The regen is becoming a huge reason many departments are refurbing older rigs to save fuel. Why is it we in the emergency services have run power plants that risk our ability to do a job?

Let's talk fire trucks!

We appear to the be the exception to the rule. We've had our re-gen (SCR-equipped DD13) for a year now, and in that time, my shift has only had it re-gen once. We average 10 runs a day and have some fairly straight runs, although our first-due is only about 5 miles. We do have to top off the DEF tank about every four days.

Don't forget that the EPA made modifications to the requirement for fire apparatus re-gen last year: EPA Reverses Fire Truck Engine Regeneration.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Why is it that Pierce Mfg is the only fire truck builder offering the DD motors ? All others are selling apparatus with the Max Force or Cummins power plants !

Let's talk fire trucks!

Pierce and Detroit Diesel have an exclusive partnership.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    Why is it that Pierce Mfg is the only fire truck builder offering the DD motors ? All others are selling apparatus with the Max Force or Cummins power plants !
    Remember...it's a MERCEDES motor with Detroit Heads. No "old school" Detroit's anymore due to EPA.

Forum Member

We have a 2009 KME and we just wait for the light to come on for Re-gen.....So far so good ........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information