Forum Member

Default LED headlight pros and cons?

We are looking into getting some of the FoxFury LED headlights. I know led are bright and also can work against you. Is there anyone who uses them and can give me some information?

Forum Member

We have been using the fox fury for about a year now. Ours have three brightness settings so you can adjust to your needs. Also the lights have a flashing red led in the back that the officers like. They don't stick out from the helmet very much like some other styles so entanglement is lessened. We have had a couple of issues though. Of course you have to shut them off when talking to others or they will blind the other person, we are still working on that! Some face shields on different metro style helmets will not clear them as well. Also, the rubber strap supplied with them grips the helmet very well when new and the helmet is clean. But when a little soot gets under the band the light will fall off every time you look down with a metro helmet. We have started using Velcro on the bands and battery packs to secure them and that works well, although probably not NFPA certified. I would recommend the Fox Fury.

Forum Member

Ok so do you have the face shields that are external or internal cause all of ours except for the officers are internal

Forum Member

Our helmets are all external shields. The problem was some did not have much of a bill on them and the light stuck out farther than the bill of the helmet. You guys should have no problem! Light weight and good battery life are pluses as well. The model we have is the Command 20.
    Last edited by conrad427; 04-03-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Forum Member

My department has used Foxfurys for the past couple of years. They provide significant light and the red-blinking light in the back is a nice feature. However, my department uses metro-style helmets, and we run into the constant issue of them slipping off the helmet. In addition on some of the older helmets the space between the helmet visor and the helmet is not large enough to allow the visor to come down completely. I myself have a Streamlight handlight held in place with a Blackjack and I greatly prefer it to the Foxfurys. The Foxfurys are nice, but really don't work well with metro-style helmets.

Forum Member

we use metros too. we use Velcro to keep them in place and some of the guys had to trim the edges of the visor to make room.

Thread Information