Forum Member

Default Rescue Company trying to obtain an engine

I have a few questions.

This may seem like a shot in the dark, and I am not going to bad mouth anyone.

I work for a Rescue Company ( EMS and Rescue Services) , and we have.... lets say issues with the local FD. I'm sure this is common in a lot of hybrid areas.

The issue that I am in need of advise is that i feel unsafe when they are there. We have always tried to play nice with them, but no matter how many times we extend the olive branch, we basically get it throw back at us. I feel that they are going to be the cause for a LODD or a patients injury/death. On rescue scenes , they are constantly doing unsafe things, and couldn't care of the services that we provide.

My question is, we can afford an engine , and all of us are FF for years with other organizations. But , we don't receive any tax money, so in order to justify the cost , I have to see how we can bill for our services.

I'm sure we wouldn't bill people, just insurance companies. What can you bill for, and how much?

Im sure that this will get flamed for many reasons , but I am reaching out.

Forum Member

I should also note, that they also don't get the truck out for smells & bells ( they are volley) . This is where the issue is. We want to use it as a first responder to fire calls as well.

Forum Member

big fish small pond- I want my own toys -wah wah wah
    ?

Back In Black

Are you EMS or a rescue company?

Your post was confusing.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

It's a bad idea. You are opening the door to letting them play victim--"Oh, they're trying to take over everything!" And I don't know about your state, but here in Kentucky you can't just buy a fire engine and say, "Well, we now respond to fires in the area bounded by..." You have to have written authorization of the chief who is surrendering the territory.

Running a fire department is not cheap. I will stand on my head and gargle peanut butter if you can maintain much equipment with only the revenue you get from billing. And besides, if you don't have the authority to respond to the fires, you sure can't bill for them.

If the fire department sucks as bad as you say, just stay quiet and let them sink. I've seen it happen, and something better always comes of it.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

And how would you be dispatched?

You simply can't go to the local 911, and say that because you feel this Fire department is incompent and unsafe, we would like you to dispatch us to fires instead of this (more than likely legally assigned) fire department.

The simple fact is that more than likely, as previously stated, you would have no legal right to run to their incidents.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Shades of Donna C!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by deputychiefgonzo View Post
    shades of donna c!
    aaaaaagggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Thread Information