Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Staying at Bingo instead of responding to structure fire

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Only if one assumes this is the exception. I don't.

Then the question begs to be asked. Why were they doing a bingo fundraiser in the first place?
    The exception to what? The rule that all volunteer fire departments are composed of inbred cousin humpers who couldn't put out a fire to save their lives?

And yes, as for the bingo, I think it's quite clear they have entirely too much money. Why indeed were they doing a fundraiser with that much cash in the bank, and why would they let it keep them from their (purportedly) real mission of fighting fire?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    The exception to what? The rule that all volunteer fire departments are composed of inbred cousin humpers who couldn't put out a fire to save their lives?
    I didn't say that, you did. However, their actions were not an aberration compared to the vollies I worked with during my years. They were typical of this type of mindset. My favorite anecdote is when the vollies went out to a brushfire, brought their rig back and then demanded the career personnel clean the hose and wash the rig. This was not an atypical attitude. They finally imploded. Sad that communities like this one don't have that option. They're stuck with this group of morons in the fake belief that they are being protected.

BTW, I love the series Justified. Isn't it set in your neck of the woods?

And yes, as for the bingo, I think it's quite clear they have entirely too much money. Why indeed were they doing a fundraiser with that much cash in the bank, and why would they let it keep them from their (purportedly) real mission of fighting fire?
    You'll have to ask them. I'm not clairvoyant.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

I didn't say that, you did. However, their actions were not an aberration compared to the vollies I worked with during my years. They were typical of this type of mindset. My favorite anecdote is when the vollies went out to a brushfire, brought their rig back and then demanded the career personnel clean the hose and wash the rig. This was not an atypical attitude. They finally imploded. Sad that communities like this one don't have that option. They're stuck with this group of morons in the fake belief that they are being protected.

BTW, I love the series Justified. Isn't it set in your neck of the woods?

You'll have to ask them. I'm not clairvoyant.
    Anecdotally I can go through about three telephone exchanges' worth of area and find a goodly number of buffoons operating organizations cleverly disguised as fire departments. But it's not tough to find some really sharp ones, too.

Justified is down around Hazard, I think. Yeah, that's roughly an hour's drive from here. Very roughly.

I don't know who this Claire Voyant person is, but I don't think she knows either. But I was asking rhetorically, since there is NO reason to continue sponging the dough and failing to show. (Ooo! A rhyme!)

I don't know who this Claire Voyant person is, but I don't think she knows either. But I was asking rhetorically, since there is NO reason to continue sponging the dough and failing to show. (Ooo! A rhyme!)
    Well done. I appreciate well written prose.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Well done. I appreciate well written prose.
    Oh, I'm a pro all right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37v-6Zs5T10

Okay. That's enough of that.

I asked him what the department's budget was because I do know, thanks to the link from slackjawedyokel. It shows that these buffoons are knocking down $600K+ per year from fundraisers, evidently the aforementioned bingo.

So money is not the issue. Purely ****-poor judgement is. But scfire would rather thrown crap at every volunteer department--or maybe more specifically, their communities--with a flip, unsubstantiated cheap shot than get tangled up in facts.
    Where are you seeing this 600k per year? Maybe in 2001, 2002, 2003. But did you look at the last few years reported? They are losing money. The last year reported in the link was 2007....they had a year end balance (loss) of -300k. Not that this explains why they would not answer a call, but lets not bash guys over inaccurate information.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

The fact these wackers actually believed they had a choice to respond is telling enough for me.
    EastKyFF likes this.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Where are you seeing this 600k per year? Maybe in 2001, 2002, 2003. But did you look at the last few years reported? They are losing money. The last year reported in the link was 2007....they had a year end balance (loss) of -300k. Not that this explains why they would not answer a call, but lets not bash guys over inaccurate information.
    I might not have moved far enough across the table, but regardless, a few years knocking down 600K per year should have any small volunteer department set for a very, VERY long time.

If they had fuel in the tanks and equipment that worked, I don't care if they were overdrawn by a billion dollars. They should have gone to that fire.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    The fact these wackers actually believed they had a choice to respond is telling enough for me.
    ^^^This. I can't even wrap my mind around not responding.

Forum Member

Bones - the point is - on the statter page -you had a knee jerk reaction of "aww the poor struggling dept" living hand to mouth. The fact is , if they are not living within their means , they need to scale things down. Do they really need all the toys? The best I can figure out , they do have paid positions. Are they a fire department or just a fund raising organization?
    ?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

...However, their actions were not an aberration compared to the vollies I worked with during my years. They were typical of this type of mindset. My favorite anecdote is when the vollies went out to a brushfire, brought their rig back and then demanded the career personnel clean the hose and wash the rig. This was not an atypical attitude. They finally imploded. Sad that communities like this one don't have that option...
    You're clearly an educated individual, both in the fire service and life as well. Certainly you don't actually believe that your experiences with the volunteers in your former combination department reflect the typical volunteer mindset in the rest of the US? I refuse to believe that you're truly that naive.

I'll say again that what happened in West Virginia was a case of gross negligence. I will give them credit for owning up to the mistake, and trying to make changes to ensure that an event of this magnitude doesn't happen again - something that must occur for their longevity as well as for the protection of their citizens.
    Last edited by BoxAlarm187; 04-08-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Maybe they were raising money for something they couldn't spend the other money on. In our dept. we have two budgets, a city budget and a county budget. We get 2500 dollars to cover 2040 square miles. So while our city budget is always brimming, we cant use that money for county fire purposes, so we do fund raisers. While I still think they should have gone to the fire to help in what ever way they could of, it sounded like they were kinda out of service due to how many officers could not respond. If our officers are gone for training, the neighboring dept. is notified and will respond with the first page. I don't know if that was the case here but that is how it should work in my opinion.

I might not have moved far enough across the table, but regardless, a few years knocking down 600K per year should have any small volunteer department set for a very, VERY long time.

If they had fuel in the tanks and equipment that worked, I don't care if they were overdrawn by a billion dollars. They should have gone to that fire.
    600k per year sounds like a lot....what were their expenses? Were they in the process of new building? Are they purchasing their trucks? Being that the report shows their assets and liabilities....they are not sitting in the flush with funds....they are heading deeper into red.

I am not defending their lack of response.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    Maybe they were raising money for something they couldn't spend the other money on. In our dept. we have two budgets, a city budget and a county budget. We get 2500 dollars to cover 2040 square miles. So while our city budget is always brimming, we cant use that money for county fire purposes, so we do fund raisers. While I still think they should have gone to the fire to help in what ever way they could of, it sounded like they were kinda out of service due to how many officers could not respond. If our officers are gone for training, the neighboring dept. is notified and will respond with the first page. I don't know if that was the case here but that is how it should work in my opinion.
    Same story around me. We own our firehouse. The town owns the trucks and equipment. Town gives us a budget to maintain their trucks and equipment. WE are responsible for the building (electric, water, gas, etc) and now the rebuilding of it due to Sandy. Separate budgets....separate balances....separate funding sources.

Being that the report shows their assets and liabilities....they are not sitting in the flush with funds....they are heading deeper into red.
    They've spent an obscene amount of money somewhere, that's for sure.

I still don't recall any indication of exactly who was at bingo, aside from the apparently no-longer-actively-responding member who suggested that the others not go.

There were indications in some reports that none of their certified firefighters were available.

I'm sure the censure would be just as strong if they had showed up but hadn't taken an offensive stance. Although at least they would have showed up.

That said, I totally agree: they should have at least made a showing.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

They've spent an obscene amount of money somewhere, that's for sure.
    from one of the links above....."leasing Beckley Motor Speedway. It lost $35,000, and all revenues were used to pay racers and make improvements."

Sounds like they were involved with another property which would account for the large income and expense activity. although a losing property.....

The more that I read the articles from the original post....the more I wonder if the FF members even knew there was a call? Did the non-ff member receive the call by phone, make the decision, and not even let the others know?
    Last edited by Bones42; 04-08-2013 at 10:53 PM.

The more that I read the articles from the original post....the more I wonder if the FF members even knew there was a call? Did the non-ff member receive the call by phone, make the decision, and not even let the others know?
    I thought it was bad enough that these jokers actually thought they had a choice whether to respond or not, now you are hypothesizing that maybe every one of these "firefighters" either choose to have their pagers off, or where instructed to do so. Hence maybe not knowing they had a fire. Oh, thats much better, some real professionals there.....
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Bones42, Sorry to hear about your station. I hope you guys are doing okay.

Thread Information