Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Staying at Bingo instead of responding to structure fire

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    There is no Hoping the siren will sound....it does, unless it's disabled for a function. And if the siren is, the building paging system would be as well. Most likely an officer would have their radio on, but in the WV case.....their officers apparently weren't there.

Glad some of you are so perfect that guys never forget something and guys never make mistakes. I still live in the real world.

When someone can point me to all the facts of this WV case to review, maybe then I'll attack these guys. Until then, I'll go with it was a mistake, they learned from it and made corrective actions.
    Your systems of receieving calls has way too many possible loopholes for something to go wrong. Tone the pagers, set off the siren, etc. on EVERY call. I would bet a paycheck Mr. ISO would tell you the same.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Your systems of receieving calls has way too many possible loopholes for something to go wrong. Tone the pagers, set off the siren, etc. on EVERY call. I would bet a paycheck Mr. ISO would tell you the same.
    Yes, it's a very complicated system. A caller dials 911 and gets routed to my local police department (dispatcher), caller tells them there is a fire emergency. Dispatcher clicks their mouse on Fire Call on the dispatch desk. Tone goes out over the radio system that sets off pagers, siren on 1 building, and Federal Speaker horn by other building. If the dispatcher is capable, he will make an announcement as to what the call is and where. Yup, it's a tough process.

Mr. ISO has been here 3 times in my "career". He's had no issues with any of it.

PS - when I first started, we had these confusing pull boxes on some telephone polls....you pull the handle and the FD shows up. It was magic.

"This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I dont think I would let the ISO rater know that I turned off part off my dispatch system. I know years back we had aan issue with new pagers that you could turn to our "talk around". Their reasoning was you could forget to switch it back and miss a page.
    ?

PS - when I first started, we had these confusing pull boxes on some telephone polls....you pull the handle and the FD shows up. It was magic.

Mr. Bones sir, when you arrived on scene did you tie the horses to the pole or did you have a horsie attendent?

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    I dont think I would let the ISO rater know that I turned off part off my dispatch system. I know years back we had aan issue with new pagers that you could turn to our "talk around". Their reasoning was you could forget to switch it back and miss a page.
    Mr. ISO even knows that at certain hours of the night, for most calls....that part that can be turned off doesn't sound. Public complained about the siren sounding at night, so it is not used between 11pm and 7am unless calls of a certain nature are received. And Mr. ISO said "Ok". Just like how in many fire stations these days....there is no building siren at all....and yet they still answer calls.....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    Mr. Bones sir, when you arrived on scene did you tie the horses to the pole or did you have a horsie attendent?

Thanks for the laugh.

Forum Member

Whenever my POC dept. is putting on a function, (fish fry, golf outing, etc.) we have guys assigned to different trucks so depending on the call, we still have people left to manage the event. At our larger events, we also have spouses, family members, and even township trustees that can manage things if we have a call that takes all the firefighters. As for "certified firefighters", other that being checked off for driving each truck, our members can go on any run, they have at a minimum the state basic certification to be a Vol. FF. Only 3 or 4 newer members haven't been approved to drive all the trucks yet, and they probably will be by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Whenever my POC dept. is putting on a function, (fish fry, golf outing, etc.) we have guys assigned to different trucks so depending on the call, we still have people left to manage the event.
    Exactly. Based on the financial info we've seen, this bunch clearly is into bingo in a big way. Because they do it so regularly, they should have had a contingency plan.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

agreed -its not like this was a one in a million event that couldnt be planned for. I see this in my area a lot, some depts can cook a hog to perfection, but cant perform the basics. Their concept of "serving the public" means "do you want pickles with that" ? I know more than most, how important funding is, but when it becomes more important than performing your duties, its time to take a hard look at things.
    ?

Thanks for the laugh.
    Thats what I'm here for.

Thread Information