Good thing's happening

Default In need of some advice and don't know where to turn to...

hello all,

As the topic says i am currently in need of some advice and don't really know who to turn to or where to go. I Am currently 24yrs old in Central NY and a FF/EMT-Basic for my VFD. I want to go career at some point and time which I am also working on. And I know I will have a better shot at getting on a Career dept if I am a paramedic. I have always wanted to become a Firemedic and will hopefully become one someday. The problem is that where i'm at currently makes it very difficult to become a paramedic. You cannot jump from a basic to a medic in just one class. In order for me to even take the course I need to first be a intermediate. I know what I want to be and don't want to waste valuable time and money on this just to spend 6 months on getting my intermediate and then 11 to 18 months depending on the course to get my medic. There is however a course 90 mins away from me that is 11 months and accepts basics to enroll in their paramedic course. I really don't know what to do so hesitant on it as well because if I get hired while in the course I just wasted money on said course.

Any help from anyone really would be greatly appreciated,

Rob

Forum Member

Do career departments in your area require paramedic

Good thing's happening

Currently no, it is not a requirement but the area in NOVA or MD will certainly help me get on in the future.

Rob

Forum Member

ok a little lost, but best advice is to start testing at career departments if they do not require paramedic.

not sure what you are looking for, but the sooner the better, and you can get your paramedic in the future

Forum Member

Rob.... I am not sure about NY but in Maine there are three ways to become a paramedic...

1 - Get a two year degree.
    2 - Go from Basic to Medic (About 14-16 Months)
    3 - Bridge from Intermediate to Medic (About 12-14 Months)

Just because you want to be a medic does not mean that you do not need the education you get becoming an EMT-I....

Forum Member

Excellent answers already given and thank you. A few observations. Do you want to be a FF or a PM? Yes, there are lots of both, but just my personally thinking here, being both a FF AND a PM may dilute your ability to do one or the other properly. Not always, but frequently. It might be easier and quicker just to get hired on as a FF.

THEN after getting hired as a FF in a large agency that suits your fancy, (there are some outfits I would not care to work for) and once off probation decide what you want to do. Once on board, most FDs will pay for your EMT-PM training. You might find you like just one side of the floor. Blue or Yellow. HB of CJ (old coot) (ex FF, PM, RN)

Thread Information