Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Extrication Apparatus

I have been thinking about bringing up changing my fire dept's back up extrication equipment to another apparatus and I am looking for some input.

A little background. We are a small paid on call dept that only runs MVA calls when requested for extrication or wash down. We maybe run 10 extrication calls per year right now. Our first due piece is a rescue pumper that works well for our needs. Our second out for extrication is our primary engine for most other incidents. We have a quint that runs second on most fires but not extrication and does not get much other use.

Our current second out piece for extrication is 15 years old. It is over loaded with equipment and is showing signs of wear. Most other departments in our area run their quints as their first due for extrication and I am exploring the possibility of placing our second set of tools on our quint.

I know that using the quint for extrication limits our ability to respond to structure fires, but I am looking for other input for or against the change.

I am sure there are situations where having the truck on scene would be beneficial, but we have never explored the idea before so I really don't really know what to think about it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Interesting that you want to start running the Quint on extrication calls. My other station in town is looking to do the opposite...they want to take the tools off the Quint and put them on something else to cut down the wear and tear on the Quint.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense on paper. Our quint has plenty of space in the compartments. We don't have near the amount of equipment for the truck that I think we should have, but that is a topic for another thread.

Our quint is also only four years old and does not get that much action. Our second out extrication apparatus currently runs everything including brush fires which really beats the truck up.

Forum Member

So -how often does the 2nd out run ? Does it run 2nd out on all extrications? or just back up if the main rescue pumper is tied up? If it runs on all mvc extrications, the quint makewould a great traffic blocker.
    ?

Forum Member

We run two units out on every MVC call. Traffic control isn't something I took into consideration before, so thanks. It isn't normally a big problem since we have more rural areas with lower traffic and PD is usually helpful in that aspect.

Anybody else? I'm sure there is something i'm missing.
    Last edited by SFD FF7; 04-14-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Quints are great; you can do engine work or truck work, depending on what you need. but you only have the same crew size, so it's hard to do both with just one truck.

I like running an engine and rescue to all pin jobs. gives you 4 guys for basic stabilization and hazard mitigation, and another 4 to perform the extrication.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Thread Information