Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Fire Attack photo

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Well that finally explains how you made Lieutenant...
    Well, ya know. You gotta do what you gotta do.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

Well that finally explains how you made Lieutenant...
    No joke. The vollies in my old department picked their company officers via a peer vote by the vollies at that station.

They screamed bloody murder whenever someone tried to enforce some type of standard for them.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

scfire86...

I was busting Chenzo's balls after all he is MY demon spawn. And for where he is at in his fire service career he is a pretty good officer. He has much to learn, but fortunately he knows that. Once in a while he even listens to his old man, heck sometimes he even asks me for advice!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    We need to stop and take a vote. Lets see, who is in charge, VOTE! Who is on the knob.. VOTE.... Who is Chief today... VOTE
    Point of order!

You have to wait at least 30 days after nominations before you can vote on these matters.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    This is a legitimate question directed to you LA, and I expect a straight answer.

Why are you in the fire service?
    Likely for the same reason you are.

That being said, helping people at thier time of need does not mean that I accept injury or death to us.

We did not cause the problem. And yes, we are there to do what we can to mitigate the problem, but that does not include putting our members at unreasonable risk, especially in the case where victims are likely not viable or we are not reasonably able to solve the problem, to solve a problem that we did not create.

I fully expect that each man on my department will make a committment to training and make a committment to respond and perform to the best of thier ability at an incident while not forgetting that thier primary responsibility is still to leave the incident able to fufill all of thier responsbilties to thier famalies, which includes being able to go to thier fulltime job the next day.

And as an officer, it is my responsbility to see that it happens, even if they feel that they can push a little harder or go a little bit deeper. It's my responsbility to be the adult in the room and say no when I feel we have done everything that we can do without venturing into an area of unreasonable risk.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 05-03-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

That being said, helping people at thier time of need does not mean that I accept injury or death to us.

We did not cause the problem. And yes, we are there to do what we can to mitigate the problem, but that does not include putting our members at unreasonable risk, especially in the case where victims are likely not viable or we are not reasonably able to solve the problem, to solve a problem that we did not create.

I fully expect that each man on my department will make a committment to training and make a committment to respond and perform to the best of thier ability at an incident while not forgetting that thier primary responsibility is still to leave the incident able to fufill all of thier responsbilties to thier famalies, which includes being able to go to thier fulltime job the next day.

And as an officer, it is my responsbility to see that it happens, even if they feel that they can push a little harder or go a little bit deeper. It's my responsbility to be the adult in the room and say no when I feel we have done everything that we can do without venturing into an area of unreasonable risk.
    Your comments over the years have shown you are looking for every possible excuse to avoid doing your job as a firefighter.

While you may think of yourself in those terms, make no mistake, you are not.

I'll give you an analogy. When I took my kids to spacecamp, they got certificates saying they were astronauts. Guess what? They're astronauts like you're a firefighter.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by scfire86; 05-03-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Not a chance. You are in it for the T-shirt, for the recognition of being a Pub-Ed Instructor, for being a Training Coordinator, for wanting to be a messiah of the new wave destruction of the fire service.

I am clearly and simply in the fire service to do the job of being a firefighter. WHY? Because I like it, I'll admit it, I am a fire service adrenaline junkie. I like the challenge of emergency scenes. I like the challenge of attempting to solve problems from fires, to MVAs, to smells in the home, to rescues, and even ems. It is the challenge AND the knowledge that when people call 911 they expect myself and my fellow firefighter/EMTs to do our best to fix the problem. They don't expect us to die trying, but they do expect us to TRY to fix the problem. Not wander around waiting for more people to show up, not say well you see ma'am your house is crappily built so we aren't going in there, not saying we don't have enough interior qualified guys to go save gramma, they don't want excuses, they want action. YES, YES, there will be times when there is nothing we can do, but the truth is that is far less than when we can have a positive effect on the outcome. Further it is a family tradition, my DAD, Brother, Sister, were firefighters and my Son is now. You see I don't just talk the talk of serving the citizens, I actually do it.

No LA, the fact is whatever reason you decided to pollute the fire service with your nonsense, the likelihood of it being the same reason as mine, or Chenzo's, or any number of other people here, is simply too small to be measured.

It goes further with you and your callous I lose no sleep over writing off victims mantra is sick, pathetic and a poison to the fire service.

The definition of unreasonable risk is your downfall. Well, unless we are talking about your guys running into burning buildings with a fire extinguisher and no SCBA. Is that reasonable? It would seem not by your standards, yet you justified it.

Blah, blah, blah...who do you think here isn't trying to do the job in a manner that lets them go home to their family? Your insistence that only YOUR way of thinking is right is nonsense.

Wait a minute, now you are an officer and have power? You have said over and over you had no influence and couldn't eventell people to put on their seatbelts. Now you are an officer Dude you have no idea who you are or what your duties are. You flop from one FD to the other and tell whatever story suits you at that moment.

As for you being the adult in the room. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Being too afraid to act doesn't make you adult, all it means is you are over your head and should let someone else lead that will do the job when appropriate.
    More confused blather from you yet AGAIN.
    scfire86, Chenzo and conrad427 like this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I just watched Ray McCormack's speech at from the 2011 FDIC conference. It is in two parts on YouTube. Being the new guy I had not seen it before but I am sure a lot of you have. I got chills up my spine and was filled with such a sense of pride watching it I cant describe it. Ray McCormack put into words exactly why I joined the fire service better than I ever have or ever could. LA, if you have any doubt why a lot of us feel the way we do, I would suggest you watch the speech, it takes a little over twenty minutes. If after that, and you still don't understand, there is nothing more I can offer on the subject.
    FyredUp likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    I just watched Ray McCormack's speech at from the 2011 FDIC conference. It is in two parts on YouTube. Being the new guy I had not seen it before but I am sure a lot of you have. I got chills up my spine and was filled with such a sense of pride watching it I cant describe it. Ray McCormack put into words exactly why I joined the fire service better than I ever have or ever could. LA, if you have any doubt why a lot of us feel the way we do, I would suggest you watch the speech, it takes a little over twenty minutes. If after that, and you still don't understand, there is nothing more I can offer on the subject.
    I have watched it.

And I have little use for Lt. McCormack.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

I have watched it.

And I've read your posts.

Myself and the other 99.99% of the fire service outside of your little parish have absolutely no use for you and your mindset.

So what's your point?
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

I have watched it.

I'm sure he'd feel the same way about you.

Forum Member

I have watched it.

The difference being you've heard of Ray McCormack and if he was asked about you he would say "Bobby who?"
    DeputyChiefGonzo and Chenzo like this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I have watched it.

Picture if you will...

You have been involved in a motor vehicle collision. Your car is severely damaged, you are trapped and the car is on fire.

Two people witness this incident: Ray McCormack of the FDNY and the "Pubed" officer of the Bossier Parish Fire Protection District 1, LAFE.

Who has the balls to save you or give his all to try to?
    conrad427 likes this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

....Myself and the other 99.99% of the fire service outside of your little parish have absolutely no use for you and your mindset...
    I totally agree with you.....but here we are with another 20+ page thread discussing little more than LaFire.....again.

For a guy who's opinion most of us despise and disagree with....he is guaranteed multiple pages of posts every time.
    fotowun likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I totally agree with you.....but here we are with another 20+ page thread discussing little more than LaFire.....again.

For a guy who's opinion most of us despise and disagree with....he is guaranteed multiple pages of posts every time.
    I think Fyred has repeatedly given the best reasoning for this. I can't remember what he said exactly to the word, but it's so that LA's poisonous attitude towards the fire service doesn't get spread to new up and coming members who lurk/read/post on here.

Believe me, I was excited the first 5 pages where there was a legitimate fire attack tactics thread.

Truckie

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post

I for one will continue to do so. I will not let his cowardice pollute the fire service.
    Especially when myself, SCfire, or others get chastised for making any disparaging remarks directed towards volunteers. Then in the same breath, some of those very same people will hide behind the "we are just poor volunteers" and "can't be held to any standard" argument.
    Chenzo likes this.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    I for one will continue to do so. I will not let his cowardice pollute the fire service.
    Especially when myself, SCfire, or others get chastised for making any disparaging remarks directed towards volunteers. Then in the same breath, some of those very same people will hide behind the "we are just poor volunteers" and "can't be held to any standard" argument.
    Just remember, I'm one of those poor volunteers, and you don't hear me bitching about staffing and funding and whatever else comes out of LA's mouth, we show up and get to work.
    FF-Andy likes this.

Truckie

Just remember, I'm one of those poor volunteers, and you don't hear me bitching about staffing and funding and whatever else comes out of LA's mouth, we show up and get to work.
    And do it right. Why, because you get it. Risk mitigation is what is needed when we arrive. Your risk management should already be in place and reinforced by training, knowledge and experience.
    Chenzo likes this.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Like Chenzo, I too am one of those "poor volunteers", well on my off days of course!

The truth is there are many volly FDs that have no money and crappy equipment. The other truth is you can sit on your hands and cry about it or get up, get moving, and work to get better. We searched government surplus websites for our first bunker pants and other equipment, we ran fundraisers, we scrounged from other FDs, we built equipment we couldn't afford to buy, we optimized what we had. Heck, some of us bought parts to repair stuff out of our own pockets. When I joined our newest rig was built 8 years before I was born. Now we have a modern fleet of rigs, not all new, but very nice rigs. We have great equipment and a full roster. We have FF1 and Driver Operator minimum training standards and we have members from other FDs on our FD or wanting to join.

How did we do it? By not accepting this is how it is and how it will always be. We wanted better so we made it happen.

I believe the greatest problem is the willingness to affect change. It takes work, hard work, long term work, and some just aren't up to the task. It is always easier to give up than to push forward.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

we built equipment we couldn't afford to buy, we optimized what we had.
    Not to steer the thread off topic , but the thing that still gets me as one of the simplest, outside the box ideas you and another did was taking the bumper off, and having his brother weld it back on upside down so you had a bumper lay on that old front mount.

Forum Member

Not to steer the thread off topic , but the thing that still gets me as one of the simplest, outside the box ideas you and another did was taking the bumper off, and having his brother weld it back on upside down so you had a bumper lay on that old front mount.
    Ralph is a freaking genius, he and I would sit there and brainstorm and bounce ideas off from each other and many times he had the simplest answer to the questions of how to make things better. Between his brother and his dad, they fabricated so many things for us. The Rubbish hooks were built by his dad if I remember right. The old tanker's 8 inch round "Newton Style" dump was built by one of them.

Many see those as the dark days of the department, I see them as a time I never felt more fulfilled as a firefighter. We struggled, fought for every penny, built it, scrounged it, and worked with what we had to become a better fire department. I am proud of where we are today, but I am prouder of the few hard core guys that never gave up. I am proud to have served under my Dad, as Chief, who knew he had a core of hard chargers and he encouraged us, guided us, and supported us every step of the way. True LEADERSHIP makes all the difference.

Sadly, you don't know those times and likely never will, but to be honest I wouldn't trade them for all the shiny apparatus and perfect equipment in the world.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Ralph is a freaking genius, he and I would sit there and brainstorm and bounce ideas off from each other and many times he had the simplest answer to the questions of how to make things better. Between his brother and his dad, they fabricated so many things for us. The Rubbish hooks were built by his dad if I remember right. The old tanker's 8 inch round "Newton Style" dump was built by one of them.

Many see those as the dark days of the department, I see them as a time I never felt more fulfilled as a firefighter. We struggled, fought for every penny, built it, scrounged it, and worked with what we had to become a better fire department. I am proud of where we are today, but I am prouder of the few hard core guys that never gave up. I am proud to have served under my Dad, as Chief, who knew he had a core of hard chargers and he encouraged us, guided us, and supported us every step of the way. True LEADERSHIP makes all the difference.

Sadly, you don't know those times and likely never will, but to be honest I wouldn't trade them for all the shiny apparatus and perfect equipment in the world.
    I will agree that I will likely never have the same issues you had. I am honestly, and this is going to sound so stupid, jealous of the fact that you and several others built that department into what it is today. I wish I could have been a part of that.

But as you've seen at our meetings, we have a whole different set of challenges to overcome, so it's not like the work is over, it's just a different variety of work.

Forum Member

I fought a truckload of fires up through 2003 with a 68 engine. Changed the oil, tuned it up and kept the packing adjusted. On the end of a line, I couldnt tell it from a new one.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    I fought a truckload of fires up through 2003 with a 68 engine. Changed the oil, tuned it up and kept the packing adjusted. On the end of a line, I couldnt tell it from a new one.
    I bet you went interior and saved some homes during that period too. It wasn't the age of the vehicle that mde the department, it was the firefighters.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Prince George County, Va Company 1 has a 68 Ford/Bean that as far as I know is still in service , and was definitely in service as of about two years ago...she'll pump all day long and into evening without even breaking a sweat. Sounds REAL sweet either going down the road or pumping, too.

They also have a nearly new Pierce Enforcer...if you take a line off orf either one of them, take it inside, and hit the fire, the exact same thing happens...the fire goes out. It's the firefighter on the nozzle who does the job.

Thread Information