Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526 LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 507
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Fire Attack photo

  1. #441
    Truckie SPFDRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I totally agree with you.....but here we are with another 20+ page thread discussing little more than LaFire.....again.


    For a guy who's opinion most of us despise and disagree with....he is guaranteed multiple pages of posts every time.
    I for one will continue to do so. I will not let his cowardice pollute the fire service.
    Especially when myself, SCfire, or others get chastised for making any disparaging remarks directed towards volunteers. Then in the same breath, some of those very same people will hide behind the "we are just poor volunteers" and "can't be held to any standard" argument.
    Chenzo likes this.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information


  2. #442
    Forum Member Chenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rural WI
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    I for one will continue to do so. I will not let his cowardice pollute the fire service.
    Especially when myself, SCfire, or others get chastised for making any disparaging remarks directed towards volunteers. Then in the same breath, some of those very same people will hide behind the "we are just poor volunteers" and "can't be held to any standard" argument.
    Just remember, I'm one of those poor volunteers, and you don't hear me bitching about staffing and funding and whatever else comes out of LA's mouth, we show up and get to work.
    FF-Andy likes this.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

    "Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

  3. #443
    Truckie SPFDRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    Just remember, I'm one of those poor volunteers, and you don't hear me bitching about staffing and funding and whatever else comes out of LA's mouth, we show up and get to work.
    And do it right. Why, because you get it. Risk mitigation is what is needed when we arrive. Your risk management should already be in place and reinforced by training, knowledge and experience.
    Chenzo likes this.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

  4. #444
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    I for one will continue to do so. I will not let his cowardice pollute the fire service.
    Especially when myself, SCfire, or others get chastised for making any disparaging remarks directed towards volunteers. Then in the same breath, some of those very same people will hide behind the "we are just poor volunteers" and "can't be held to any standard" argument.
    Like Chenzo, I too am one of those "poor volunteers", well on my off days of course!

    The truth is there are many volly FDs that have no money and crappy equipment. The other truth is you can sit on your hands and cry about it or get up, get moving, and work to get better. We searched government surplus websites for our first bunker pants and other equipment, we ran fundraisers, we scrounged from other FDs, we built equipment we couldn't afford to buy, we optimized what we had. Heck, some of us bought parts to repair stuff out of our own pockets. When I joined our newest rig was built 8 years before I was born. Now we have a modern fleet of rigs, not all new, but very nice rigs. We have great equipment and a full roster. We have FF1 and Driver Operator minimum training standards and we have members from other FDs on our FD or wanting to join.

    How did we do it? By not accepting this is how it is and how it will always be. We wanted better so we made it happen.

    I believe the greatest problem is the willingness to affect change. It takes work, hard work, long term work, and some just aren't up to the task. It is always easier to give up than to push forward.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  5. #445
    Forum Member Chenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rural WI
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    we built equipment we couldn't afford to buy, we optimized what we had.
    Not to steer the thread off topic , but the thing that still gets me as one of the simplest, outside the box ideas you and another did was taking the bumper off, and having his brother weld it back on upside down so you had a bumper lay on that old front mount.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

    "Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

  6. #446
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    Not to steer the thread off topic , but the thing that still gets me as one of the simplest, outside the box ideas you and another did was taking the bumper off, and having his brother weld it back on upside down so you had a bumper lay on that old front mount.
    Ralph is a freaking genius, he and I would sit there and brainstorm and bounce ideas off from each other and many times he had the simplest answer to the questions of how to make things better. Between his brother and his dad, they fabricated so many things for us. The Rubbish hooks were built by his dad if I remember right. The old tanker's 8 inch round "Newton Style" dump was built by one of them.

    Many see those as the dark days of the department, I see them as a time I never felt more fulfilled as a firefighter. We struggled, fought for every penny, built it, scrounged it, and worked with what we had to become a better fire department. I am proud of where we are today, but I am prouder of the few hard core guys that never gave up. I am proud to have served under my Dad, as Chief, who knew he had a core of hard chargers and he encouraged us, guided us, and supported us every step of the way. True LEADERSHIP makes all the difference.

    Sadly, you don't know those times and likely never will, but to be honest I wouldn't trade them for all the shiny apparatus and perfect equipment in the world.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  7. #447
    Forum Member Chenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rural WI
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Ralph is a freaking genius, he and I would sit there and brainstorm and bounce ideas off from each other and many times he had the simplest answer to the questions of how to make things better. Between his brother and his dad, they fabricated so many things for us. The Rubbish hooks were built by his dad if I remember right. The old tanker's 8 inch round "Newton Style" dump was built by one of them.

    Many see those as the dark days of the department, I see them as a time I never felt more fulfilled as a firefighter. We struggled, fought for every penny, built it, scrounged it, and worked with what we had to become a better fire department. I am proud of where we are today, but I am prouder of the few hard core guys that never gave up. I am proud to have served under my Dad, as Chief, who knew he had a core of hard chargers and he encouraged us, guided us, and supported us every step of the way. True LEADERSHIP makes all the difference.

    Sadly, you don't know those times and likely never will, but to be honest I wouldn't trade them for all the shiny apparatus and perfect equipment in the world.
    I will agree that I will likely never have the same issues you had. I am honestly, and this is going to sound so stupid, jealous of the fact that you and several others built that department into what it is today. I wish I could have been a part of that.

    But as you've seen at our meetings, we have a whole different set of challenges to overcome, so it's not like the work is over, it's just a different variety of work.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

    "Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

  8. #448
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,930

    Default

    I fought a truckload of fires up through 2003 with a 68 engine. Changed the oil, tuned it up and kept the packing adjusted. On the end of a line, I couldnt tell it from a new one.
    ?

  9. #449
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    I fought a truckload of fires up through 2003 with a 68 engine. Changed the oil, tuned it up and kept the packing adjusted. On the end of a line, I couldnt tell it from a new one.
    I bet you went interior and saved some homes during that period too. It wasn't the age of the vehicle that mde the department, it was the firefighters.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  10. #450
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    I fought a truckload of fires up through 2003 with a 68 engine. Changed the oil, tuned it up and kept the packing adjusted. On the end of a line, I couldnt tell it from a new one.
    Prince George County, Va Company 1 has a 68 Ford/Bean that as far as I know is still in service , and was definitely in service as of about two years ago...she'll pump all day long and into evening without even breaking a sweat. Sounds REAL sweet either going down the road or pumping, too.

    They also have a nearly new Pierce Enforcer...if you take a line off orf either one of them, take it inside, and hit the fire, the exact same thing happens...the fire goes out. It's the firefighter on the nozzle who does the job.

  11. #451
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I bet you went interior and saved some homes during that period too. It wasn't the age of the vehicle that mde the department, it was the firefighters.
    yes sir we did, in fact back in the late 70s when i first started, we had a 5/4 kaiser with what the state forestry called a "class9" skid unit. 300 gallon tank, wisconsin 21 horse motor with a (250?) GPM hale pump. It would pump an 1-1/2" just fine at 120. Made a few trips inside with that set up also. Believe it or not, Arkansas has a first rate FREE fire academy. They used to offer weekend classes and not only furnished a motel room , but feed you lunch.
    ?

  12. #452
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,854

    Default

    Well, in a serious attempt to get this topic back on track let me say this...After thinking about it I would have my #1 POC FD's first engine do the following with a crew of 4. Stretch a 200 foot 2 inch pre-connect down the driveway and utilize the 1 1/4 inch slug tip to hit the side of the house with a quick shot to knock down the visible fire and then turn that stream onto the garage. Hitting it with 300 gpm and foam would make quick work of that fire. Once it was knocked down, IF additional help hadn't arrived yet, I would put the combo tip back on this line, tell the pump operator to give me 160 gpm and then leave one firefighter there to monitor the garage fire and apply water as needed and have the other 2 pull a second line, grab a hook and the TIC and go inside to check for extension into what I believe is the kitchen area of the house.

    Frankly, the garage and all its contents are junk and whether it continues to burn, as long as it doesn't threaten the house, or other exposures means nothing in the overall picture. It is far more important to ensure that the fire didn't spread into the house, than it is to worry about a pile of smoldering rubble.

    Discuss...and let's try to get back on topic!!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  13. #453
    Forum Member conrad427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Just south of Canada
    Posts
    536

    Default

    I would bet we would do it mostly the same way with a few exceptions. We would probably not use foam, only because it takes over 200 psi to get it to flow and the officers don't like it anyway. We would use the 1 3/4 preconnects because we could probably get a knockdown in the time it takes to get a 2 1/2 into service. For this fire in an area without hydrants we would probably sacrifice one off the engine to drive the tender and call for the neighboring tender. Out of curiosity, does anyone keep scba on their tenders? We don't and the officers have told me we don't need them on the tender. I only ask because I have been in the tender on mutual aid for a structure fire and needed an scba but couldn't get one and I HATE trailer house smoke. Anyway, would you guys spend any time getting the minivan out of the way if all you have is four or five on the scene?

  14. #454
    Forum Member Chenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rural WI
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Well, in a serious attempt to get this topic back on track let me say this...After thinking about it I would have my #1 POC FD's first engine do the following with a crew of 4. Stretch a 200 foot 2 inch pre-connect down the driveway and utilize the 1 1/4 inch slug tip to hit the side of the house with a quick shot to knock down the visible fire and then turn that stream onto the garage. Hitting it with 300 gpm and foam would make quick work of that fire. Once it was knocked down, IF additional help hadn't arrived yet, I would put the combo tip back on this line, tell the pump operator to give me 160 gpm and then leave one firefighter there to monitor the garage fire and apply water as needed and have the other 2 pull a second line, grab a hook and the TIC and go inside to check for extension into what I believe is the kitchen area of the house.

    I'm in favor of all the above, however I have a question. Why are you putting the combo tip back on the nozzle? Why not just allow him to flow 300gpm? It's not uncontrollable alone, because we just did it at the fire last week with my 1 exterior firefighter. I'm not saying don't put it back on, I'm just curious as to your reasoning.

    Frankly, the garage and all its contents are junk and whether it continues to burn, as long as it doesn't threaten the house, or other exposures means nothing in the overall picture. It is far more important to ensure that the fire didn't spread into the house, than it is to worry about a pile of smoldering rubble.

    Agreed, again.

    Discuss...and let's try to get back on topic!!
    What fun is a thread that's on topic around here?
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

    "Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

  15. #455
    Forum Member Chenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rural WI
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    I would bet we would do it mostly the same way with a few exceptions. We would probably not use foam, only because it takes over 200 psi to get it to flow and the officers don't like it anyway. We would use the 1 3/4 preconnects because we could probably get a knockdown in the time it takes to get a 2 1/2 into service.
    Is there any particular reason it's going to take longer to get your 2.5 into service than your 1.75"? Is all of your 2.5 in a dead lay with the only preconnects being 1.75"?

    For this fire in an area without hydrants we would probably sacrifice one off the engine to drive the tender and call for the neighboring tender. Out of curiosity, does anyone keep scba on their tenders? We don't and the officers have told me we don't need them on the tender. I only ask because I have been in the tender on mutual aid for a structure fire and needed an scba but couldn't get one and I HATE trailer house smoke.
    [COLOR=RED]On my primary department, we have 4 SCBA on our tanker, in bags in a compartment. 2 for the occupants of the tanker, and 2 for the occupants of the brush rig. There are also spare bottles on the truck.

    On my second department, we have 1 pumper/tanker that runs as our primary tanker for OUR department. That truck has I believe 2 SCBA on it for the occupants of that truck. Our second tanker, which is our mutual aid tanker and secondary tanker for our calls, didn't have any SCBA on it for the longest time, but I believe (90% certain) it has one on it now.

    Anyway, would you guys spend any time getting the minivan out of the way if all you have is four or five on the scene?
    Honestly, I probably wouldn't even give the van a second thought. Depending on rig positioning, where hosese are laid, and if it was only a 4 man crew, it would probably turn into more of a headache to move it than it's worth.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

    "Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

  16. #456
    Forum Member conrad427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Just south of Canada
    Posts
    536

    Default

    I am not sure why the officers are fighting me on the scba issue, and it sounds like you guys are set up well. We have a lot of old guys that never wear scba anyway so they figure I don't need one on the tender. Yes, all of our 2 1/2 is on top with the LDH and not preconected. I was thinking the van might be in the way if the fire had extended to the house, but I suppose you could move it at anytime if it was needed.

  17. #457
    Forum Member Chenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rural WI
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    I am not sure why the officers are fighting me on the scba issue, and it sounds like you guys are set up well. We have a lot of old guys that never wear scba anyway so they figure I don't need one on the tender.
    I'm honestly not sure why ANYONE fights about the SCBA issue anymore, but it happens.
    Yes, all of our 2 1/2 is on top with the LDH and not preconected.
    Gotcha. That's why we went with 2" preconnects, and that's all we carry. BUT, that's Fyred's baby so if you're interested I'm sure he will explain it.
    I was thinking the van might be in the way if the fire had extended to the house, but I suppose you could move it at anytime if it was needed.
    Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying about the van. I just don't know that I would personally give it a second look. For me, it wouldn't be in the way of anyone attacking the fire in the garage, and as far as checking for extension goes, I would imagine that there is probably a door along the wall where the guy with the garden hose is standing, and I would send my crew in that way to check for extension, versus going around the car and behind the house.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

    "Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

  18. #458
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,854

    Default

    I'm in favor of all the above, however I have a question. Why are you putting the combo tip back on the nozzle? Why not just allow him to flow 300gpm? It's not uncontrollable alone, because we just did it at the fire last week with my 1 exterior firefighter. I'm not saying don't put it back on, I'm just curious as to your reasoning.
    Because the firefighter is all by themselves on the line, all they are doing is babysitting a pile of smoldering remains so there is no need to battle the nozzle reaction of 300 gpm and sitting or kneeling on the line doesn't allow them to move to the most advantageous position. AND frankly, anyone that can't handle that line alone at 160 gpm needs to go get me a bottle of water and get the hell out of my way!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  19. #459
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    I would bet we would do it mostly the same way with a few exceptions. We would probably not use foam, only because it takes over 200 psi to get it to flow and the officers don't like it anyway. It takes 200 psi if you are using an eductor, but remember that doesn't equate to higher nozzle reaction because most of that pressure is taken up in the eductor. We would use the 1 3/4 preconnects because we could probably get a knockdown in the time it takes to get a 2 1/2 into service. For this fire in an area without hydrants we would probably sacrifice one off the engine to drive the tender and call for the neighboring tender. Out of curiosity, does anyone keep scba on their tenders? We carry 4 SCBA on our tender, as well as spare cylinders. We don't and the officers have told me we don't need them on the tender. I only ask because I have been in the tender on mutual aid for a structure fire and needed an scba but couldn't get one and I HATE trailer house smoke. Anyway, would you guys spend any time getting the minivan out of the way if all you have is four or five on the scene? Nope, not one second. The damage that is done is already done and killing the fire stops further damage.
    Thanks for getting back on topic!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  20. #460
    Forum Member Chenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rural WI
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Because the firefighter is all by themselves on the line, all they are doing is babysitting a pile of smoldering remains so there is no need to battle the nozzle reaction of 300 gpm and sitting or kneeling on the line doesn't allow them to move to the most advantageous position. AND frankly, anyone that can't handle that line alone at 160 gpm needs to go get me a bottle of water and get the hell out of my way!
    Gotcha, that makes sense.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

    "Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cal Fire Photo
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 04:40 PM
  2. Looking for photo of rare fire apparatus
    By blueeighty88 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 06:46 PM
  3. Now that is a nice fire photo...
    By CALFFBOU in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-31-2005, 11:55 PM
  4. New from Fire Photo
    By firephotonews in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts