+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 First ... 234567815 ... Last
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Fire Attack photo

  1. #101
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Please refrain from responding on this entire forum as it is titled "Firefighters Forum."

    When a forum is created that is titled "Pretend Firefighters Forum", "Faux Firefighters Forum", "Firefighter in Name Only Forum" or "Pub Ed Fat Asses Who Also Claim to Be Firefighters Because They Have a Piece of Paper Forum" your input will be greatly appreciated and maybe even valuable to those of a similar mindset.

    Until then, please move along and let those of us who were actually firefighters handle the commentary.
    Ahhh, once again, insults. I am so happy that things are always the same in the forum.

    Last I knew, that was banned by the TOS, but hey, I'm a big boy, and I promise that I won't report you, so feel free to carry on if that you makes you feel superior.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  2. #102
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Ahhh, once again, insults. I am so happy that things are always the same in the forum.

    Last I knew, that was banned by the TOS, but hey, I'm a big boy, and I promise that I won't report you, so feel free to carry on if that you makes you feel superior.
    What you consider insults real firefighters consider an accurate description.

    Now please run along and leave this forum to real firefighters. Your commentary is irrelevant given your beliefs about firefighting.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  3. #103
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    What you consider insults real firefighters consider an accurate description.

    Now please run along and leave this forum to real firefighters. Your commentary is irrelevant given your beliefs about firefighting.
    Yet I will continue to post.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  4. #104
    Forum Member
    conrad427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Just south of Canada
    Posts
    536

    Default

    PUB ED FAT A@@es?

  5. #105
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Let's start ot with the basics ..... Math. We currently have 12-13 active members, most of which are not available during the day, which is when this fire occurred. It very easily could occur and no officers would be available - The Chief would be on his day shift rotation and his job, the Deputy Chief and Captain would be at work in the neighboring city department (they would respond in automatic aid but would count towards the city's staffing of 5) and I would be at work at my full-time gig. That would likely leave a WPFD7 response of 2-3. Period. The neighboring city would be coming in initially with their entire on duty staffing of 5.

    Both of my volly FDs could handle this with 5 firefighters on the initial response. Why do you need the chief there? Or any of the Chiefs for that matter? Do they have the keys to the firetruck in their pocket?

    That means a response in the first 10-12 minutes of 7-8.

    More than enough for this fire.

    One IC. One Pump Operator, but more than likely 2. Initial attack team on the garage of 2. Team for the interior of the house @ 2. One 2-person team to open up the exterior of the house. Maybe ... just maybe we would have the bare minimum required, without RIT, safety and any other required tasks, assuming that they had the training and experience level to support minimum manning operations.

    1pump operator, why you would need 2 is beyond me...especially since you said you have 1500 gallon booster tanks. 2 on the main attack line, advance down the driveway, sweep the house to knock down visible fire, then kill the garage fire. 2 to check inside the house, Hoseline to the back room, most likely kitchen, we have TICs on both FDs but they are NOT required, scan the ceiling if any heat pull ceiling to take a look. If no TIC pull the ceiling to take a look. Any later arriving firefighters would be utilized as needed, RIT, additional hoselines, overhaul.

    This is a nothing fire if you don't spend 10 minutes in the street assigning IC vests.



    Throw in availability of the Chief, Deputy Chief and/or Captain, or make it a weekend daytime fire where I may also be available, and yes, that significantly changes the scenario in terms of bodies on scene and leadership, experience, training and command staffing.

    WHY DO YOU NEED THEM? I can't tell you the number of fires I have fought as a volly withan LT or captain in command and some fires initially no "Officer" at all. Sounds like you need to do some initial tactics training and First arriving OIC training.

    Make this an evening fire and now our response jumps to 5-7 plus initial AMA response of 5. A little more manageable but still significant limitations of training and experience with our responders

    Again, all I hear is excuses for why you believe it is okay to burn this completely savable house down.

    Training ..... I am going to be very honest here and say that in all likelihood, depending once again on the shift schedule of the neighboring city, the folks that would be responding on our side during the weekday in limited to what they can do before the arrival of the neighboring city department because of age (we have one driver only), training and experience. That's simply the reality.

    Then TRAIN THEM. Excuses don't do the job.

    Once they arrive, we now have a pretty fair amount of both training and experience. Until then, depending on the availability of the 1, 2 and 3 positions in the department, that is simply not the case.

    You have been on this FD for a while now...Why are they no better today than when you took on the training officer role?

    We don't own a TIC. WE are planning to buy one with the new engine we are specifying, but right now, not an option. I am unsure if the neighboring city owns one.

    It isn't required for this fire, it would just make the job easier. We did this type of work for decades without a TIC.

    The fact is, depending on circumstances, this fire could very well be out of our abilities, and may be very well beyond what you see by the time the AMA resources arrives. That is simply being realistic with our response.

    One line down the driveway eliminates 90% of the problem. If you can't lay out and operate one exterior attack line close the doors, sell the equipment and build a park for the community. At least that will be real.

    As far as my combo department this would be a fairly routine job due to a much greater response in terms of members, far more experience, better training, stronger guaranteed command presence and better tools such a multiple TICs.

    Sure it would. Assuming you didn't stop people from fighting the fire and entering the house to check for extension.
    Just more of the same from you LA.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 04-21-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  6. #106
    Forum Member
    conrad427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Just south of Canada
    Posts
    536

    Default

    I have to agree. I get really tired hearing "we are not trained to do that". I hear it all the time around my area. If that is the case why don't we start a book or social club? That went over well.

  7. #107
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    I have to agree. I get really tired hearing "we are not trained to do that". I hear it all the time around my area. If that is the case why don't we start a book or social club? That went over well.
    A book or social club! F***ing AWESOME! I laughed outloud when I read that.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  8. #108
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,592

    Default



    More than enough for this fire.

    Agree, for initial operations, depending on the training and experience. The simple fact is we (the Training Captain and myself) have gotten the firefighters far better trained than they were but they still have very little or no real world experience. And several of them have NO, simply because we have very, very few fires.

    That's the reality. It's my responsibility to realistically assess the capabilities of my crew.


    One IC. One Pump Operator, but more than likely 2. Initial attack team on the garage of 2. Team for the interior of the house @ 2. One 2-person team to open up the exterior of the house. Maybe ... just maybe we would have the bare minimum required, without RIT, safety and any other required tasks, assuming that they had the training and experience level to support minimum manning operations.

    1pump operator, why you would need 2 is beyond me...especially since you said you have 1500 gallon booster tanks. 2 on the main attack line, advance down the driveway, sweep the house to knock down visible fire, then kill the garage fire. 2 to check inside the house, Hoseline to the back room, most likely kitchen, we have TICs on both FDs but they are NOT required, scan the ceiling if any heat pull ceiling to take a look. If no TIC pull the ceiling to take a look. Any later arriving firefighters would be utilized as needed, RIT, additional hoselines, overhaul.

    This is a nothing fire if you don't spend 10 minutes in the street assigning IC vests.

    Policy is that once the tanker arrives the first due engines works off the tanker and shuts down it's booster tank, Hence the 2 pump operators. the other option would be utilize the neighboring city's engine, which has around the pump Class A foam capabilities, with our engine or tanker supplying it ... hence ... 2 pump operators.

    The scenario you described would likely occur at my combo department, with far more experience, and go smooth as silk. Not so with my VFD. Simply not there yet. We have been training more aggressively and we have been sending them to more hands-on outside schools, but still a work in progress. Simply not enough fires to get them to work in under pressure yet.




    Throw in availability of the Chief, Deputy Chief and/or Captain, or make it a weekend daytime fire where I may also be available, and yes, that significantly changes the scenario in terms of bodies on scene and leadership, experience, training and command staffing.

    WHY DO YOU NEED THEM? I can't tell you the number of fires I have fought as a volly withan LT or captain in command and some fires initially no "Officer" at all. Sounds like you need to do some initial tactics training and First arriving OIC training.

    And I wouldn't be available either.

    They simply are not at the level that they could not be able to work without an officer. That's not saying that we are THAT important but they simply are not at the point that they could make those sort of tactical decisions. When the AMA came in it would not be an issue as they would assume command if an officer wasn't on scene.


    Make this an evening fire and now our response jumps to 5-7 plus initial AMA response of 5. A little more manageable but still significant limitations of training and experience with our responders

    Again, all I hear is excuses for why you believe it is okay to burn this completely savable house down.

    It's always OK to burn something down. It happens.Savable depends on resources, and sometimes luck and timing.

    Then TRAIN THEM. Excuses don't do the job.

    And we are, but we are not there yet. And likely will not be there in the short term.

    Started training much more aggressively in the fall of 2011 under the old Chief. Continued it in the spring and fall of 2012 under the new/current Chief.

    We have made progress but have very limited access to live fire training, which is the biggest issue. Also the small number of active members means small training nights, which makes anything but very basic evolutions very difficult.

    Again, this late winter and spring we have trained aggressively with a lot of hands-on drills. They have seen live fire at a few outside schools and a couple of times at the neighboring LSU facility. We have my combo department's burn building and LSU Pine Country's burn building as well as a live car fire night scheduled for May, plus a couple going to another outside school with live fire. Just did an aggressive hose handling drill the other night and 2 1/2"'s next week. But we are still missing the real-world fire component, and that is a major piece.



    You have been on this FD for a while now...Why are they no better today than when you took on the training officer role?

    About 3 years. And I'm not the training officer, but him and I act together, basically planning the schedule and splitting the training nights.

    We are much better but still a fair piece to go. That's the reality.



    It isn't required for this fire, it would just make the job easier. We did this type of work for decades without a TIC.

    Agree. But with the level of experience, without the AMA department, hunting for extension would be a significant challenge for most of our non-officers. Again, real world experience that simply cannot be taught in a classroom or a concrete burn building or a Conex.


    One line down the driveway eliminates 90% of the problem. If you can't lay out and operate one exterior attack line close the doors, sell the equipment and build a park for the community. At least that will be real.

    More of a challenge than you may think. Besides department policy in this case would clearly be the 2 1/2" transitional line, not an 1 3/4". I would hope they would strongly consider use the the deck gun, then transition to the 2 1/2", though I would not fault them for following policy with the 2 1/2" first as that is the procedure we are training.

    Sure it would. Assuming you didn't stop people from fighting the fire and entering the house to check for extension.

    If it represents significant risk of injury, I would.

    Just more of the same from you LA.

    Yup.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 04-21-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  9. #109
    Truckie
    SPFDRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Let's start ot with the basics ..... Math. We currently have 12-13 active members, most of which are not available during the day, which is when this fire occurred. It very easily could occur and no officers would be available - The Chief would be on his day shift rotation and his job, the Deputy Chief and Captain would be at work in the neighboring city department (they would respond in automatic aid but would count towards the city's staffing of 5) and I would be at work at my full-time gig. That would likely leave a WPFD7 response of 2-3. Period. The neighboring city would be coming in initially with their entire on duty staffing of 5.

    That means a response in the first 10-12 minutes of 7-8.

    One IC. One Pump Operator, but more than likely 2. Initial attack team on the garage of 2. Team for the interior of the house @ 2. One 2-person team to open up the exterior of the house. Maybe ... just maybe we would have the bare minimum required, without RIT, safety and any other required tasks, assuming that they had the training and experience level to support minimum manning operations.

    Throw in availability of the Chief, Deputy Chief and/or Captain, or make it a weekend daytime fire where I may also be available, and yes, that significantly changes the scenario in terms of bodies on scene and leadership, experience, training and command staffing.

    Make this an evening fire and now our response jumps to 5-7 plus initial AMA response of 5. A little more manageable but still significant limitations of training and experience with our responders

    Training ..... I am going to be very honest here and say that in all likelihood, depending once again on the shift schedule of the neighboring city, the folks that would be responding on our side during the weekday in limited to what they can do before the arrival of the neighboring city department because of age (we have one driver only), training and experience. That's simply the reality.

    Once they arrive, we now have a pretty fair amount of both training and experience. Until then, depending on the availability of the 1, 2 and 3 positions in the department, that is simply not the case.

    We don't own a TIC. WE are planning to buy one with the new engine we are specifying, but right now, not an option. I am unsure if the neighboring city owns one.

    The fact is, depending on circumstances, this fire could very well be out of our abilities, and may be very well beyond what you see by the time the AMA resources arrives. That is simply being realistic with our response.

    As far as my combo department this would be a fairly routine job due to a much greater response in terms of members, far more experience, better training, stronger guaranteed command presence and better tools such a multiple TICs.
    Is there anything these so called fire departments you claim you belong to can do? Again nothing more than excuse after excuse after excuse.
    Chenzo likes this.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

  10. #110
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Yet I will continue to post.
    We will give your commentary all the credibility it deserves.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  11. #111
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post


    More than enough for this fire.

    Agree, for initial operations, depending on the training and experience. The simple fact is we (the Training Captain and myself) have gotten the firefighters far better trained than they were but they still have very little or no real world experience. And several of them have NO, simply because we have very, very few fires.

    That's the reality. It's my responsibility to realistically assess the capabilities of my crew.


    One IC. One Pump Operator, but more than likely 2. Initial attack team on the garage of 2. Team for the interior of the house @ 2. One 2-person team to open up the exterior of the house. Maybe ... just maybe we would have the bare minimum required, without RIT, safety and any other required tasks, assuming that they had the training and experience level to support minimum manning operations.

    1pump operator, why you would need 2 is beyond me...especially since you said you have 1500 gallon booster tanks. 2 on the main attack line, advance down the driveway, sweep the house to knock down visible fire, then kill the garage fire. 2 to check inside the house, Hoseline to the back room, most likely kitchen, we have TICs on both FDs but they are NOT required, scan the ceiling if any heat pull ceiling to take a look. If no TIC pull the ceiling to take a look. Any later arriving firefighters would be utilized as needed, RIT, additional hoselines, overhaul.

    This is a nothing fire if you don't spend 10 minutes in the street assigning IC vests.

    Policy is that once the tanker arrives the first due engines works off the tanker and shuts down it's booster tank, Hence the 2 pump operators. the other option would be utilize the neighboring city's engine, which has around the pump Class A foam capabilities, with our engine or tanker supplying it ... hence ... 2 pump operators.

    The scenario you described would likely occur at my combo department, with far more experience, and go smooth as silk. Not so with my VFD. Simply not there yet. We have been training more aggressively and we have been sending them to more hands-on outside schools, but still a work in progress. Simply not enough fires to get them to work in under pressure yet.




    Throw in availability of the Chief, Deputy Chief and/or Captain, or make it a weekend daytime fire where I may also be available, and yes, that significantly changes the scenario in terms of bodies on scene and leadership, experience, training and command staffing.

    WHY DO YOU NEED THEM? I can't tell you the number of fires I have fought as a volly withan LT or captain in command and some fires initially no "Officer" at all. Sounds like you need to do some initial tactics training and First arriving OIC training.

    And I wouldn't be available either.

    They simply are not at the level that they could not be able to work without an officer. That's not saying that we are THAT important but they simply are not at the point that they could make those sort of tactical decisions. When the AMA came in it would not be an issue as they would assume command if an officer wasn't on scene.


    Make this an evening fire and now our response jumps to 5-7 plus initial AMA response of 5. A little more manageable but still significant limitations of training and experience with our responders

    Again, all I hear is excuses for why you believe it is okay to burn this completely savable house down.

    It's always OK to burn something down. It happens.Savable depends on resources, and sometimes luck and timing.

    Then TRAIN THEM. Excuses don't do the job.

    And we are, but we are not there yet. And likely will not be there in the short term.

    Started training much more aggressively in the fall of 2011 under the old Chief. Continued it in the spring and fall of 2012 under the new/current Chief.

    We have made progress but have very limited access to live fire training, which is the biggest issue. Also the small number of active members means small training nights, which makes anything but very basic evolutions very difficult.

    Again, this late winter and spring we have trained aggressively with a lot of hands-on drills. They have seen live fire at a few outside schools and a couple of times at the neighboring LSU facility. We have my combo department's burn building and LSU Pine Country's burn building as well as a live car fire night scheduled for May, plus a couple going to another outside school with live fire. Just did an aggressive hose handling drill the other night and 2 1/2"'s next week. But we are still missing the real-world fire component, and that is a major piece.



    You have been on this FD for a while now...Why are they no better today than when you took on the training officer role?

    About 3 years. And I'm not the training officer, but him and I act together, basically planning the schedule and splitting the training nights.

    We are much better but still a fair piece to go. That's the reality.



    It isn't required for this fire, it would just make the job easier. We did this type of work for decades without a TIC.

    Agree. But with the level of experience, without the AMA department, hunting for extension would be a significant challenge for most of our non-officers. Again, real world experience that simply cannot be taught in a classroom or a concrete burn building or a Conex.


    One line down the driveway eliminates 90% of the problem. If you can't lay out and operate one exterior attack line close the doors, sell the equipment and build a park for the community. At least that will be real.

    More of a challenge than you may think. Besides department policy in this case would clearly be the 2 1/2" transitional line, not an 1 3/4". I would hope they would strongly consider use the the deck gun, then transition to the 2 1/2", though I would not fault them for following policy with the 2 1/2" first as that is the procedure we are training.

    Sure it would. Assuming you didn't stop people from fighting the fire and entering the house to check for extension.

    If it represents significant risk of injury, I would.

    Just more of the same from you LA.

    Yup.
    I'm ****ing speechless. Are you for real? You preach and preach 'train to fight the fires you fight' yet you say you can't get this cookie cutter under control with 5 people.
    SPFDRum, FyredUp and Chenzo like this.

  12. #112
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    3,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    I'm ****ing speechless. Are you for real? You preach and preach 'train to fight the fires you fight' yet you say you can't get this cookie cutter under control with 5 people.
    Game, set, match, tournament, species, continent, planet.
    FyredUp and Chenzo like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC


  13. #113
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    I'm ****ing speechless. Are you for real? You preach and preach 'train to fight the fires you fight' yet you say you can't get this cookie cutter under control with 5 people.
    You really believe that this fire would only take 5 members, including an IC and pump operator to control?

    I have no idea what the experience and training level of your members are, but no, there is no way that a mixed group of 5 of our people, on my VFD, could manage this fire and i wouldn't be stupid enough to try if that was all that I had.

    I have no issues in saying that.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  14. #114
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Game, set, match, tournament, species, continent, planet.
    You forgot solar system, galaxy and cosmos,
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  15. #115
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Is there anything these so called fire departments you claim you belong to can do? Again nothing more than excuse after excuse after excuse.
    I thought I was pretty clear that this would not be a major event for my combo department, and under the right circumstances with a good mix of our experienced and inexperienced members, this would likely be a manageable fire though the house would likely suffer some extension and damage for my volunteer department.

    The worst-case I described above would be daytime, weekday fire with all of the officers at work.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  16. #116
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    You really believe that this fire would only take 5 members, including an IC and pump operator to control?
    For my department...................Hell yes!! Been there, done that, done bigger, will do both again, didn't get the t-shirt though.


    I have no idea what the experience and training level of your members are, but no, there is no way that a mixed group of 5 of our people, on my VFD, could manage this fire and i wouldn't be stupid enough to try if that was all that I had.

    I have no issues in saying that.
    You should.
    FyredUp and Chenzo like this.

  17. #117
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    You really believe that this fire would only take 5 members, including an IC and pump operator to control?

    I have no idea what the experience and training level of your members are, but no, there is no way that a mixed group of 5 of our people, on my VFD, could manage this fire and i wouldn't be stupid enough to try if that was all that I had.

    I have no issues in saying that.
    If 5 people with a basic skill set cannot knock this fire down then they have major problems.
    FyredUp likes this.

  18. #118
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    You really believe that this fire would only take 5 members, including an IC and pump operator to control?

    I have no idea what the experience and training level of your members are, but no, there is no way that a mixed group of 5 of our people, on my VFD, could manage this fire and i wouldn't be stupid enough to try if that was all that I had.

    I have no issues in saying that.
    All kidding aside, the 3 most junior members of my 100% non compensated volunteer department could whip this garage fire's *** in short order. You've got bigger problems than your obvious lack of sack and your reputation on this board if you wouldn't fight that with FIVE.
    FyredUp and Chenzo like this.

  19. #119
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    If 5 people with a basic skill set cannot knock this fire down then they have major problems.
    We have limited number of people with limited training, and even more importantly, with very limited experience base.

    Sorry but I would not say that this is a "basic skill set" fire as it has possible extension into the structure. Let's also think about what kind of haz-mat scenarios could pop up with a garage?

    Should we even talk about the vehicle that is about to light up? And do we even know by this picture that the garage does not contain another vehicle?

    Maybe if it was a standalone garage, but we still have the hazmat issues of possible gasoline, oil, paint, strippers, thinners, cleaning chemicals, possible pesticides, fertilizers, battery acid, aerosol cans and propane cylinders

    In fact if it was a standalone garage with no exposures, at this point it might be better for the homeowner to simply let it burn. I would in fact, likely ask them that so to make the cleanup easier for them, as all the contents are already destroyed and the structure at this point is likely not structurally savable.

    Maybe you should think about how "easy" this fire really is.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 04-21-2013 at 09:52 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  20. #120
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FF-Andy View Post
    All kidding aside, the 3 most junior members of my 100% non compensated volunteer department could whip this garage fire's *** in short order. You've got bigger problems than your obvious lack of sack and your reputation on this board if you wouldn't fight that with FIVE.
    So you would just ignore the likely extension into the home?

    Your 3 guys could handle that?

    And by the way who's commanding the incident and who's pumping the truck? If you have a tank of less than 1000g, who made your hydrant? Who's your relief or are they all good operating in August in 103 degrees and 60% humidity without relief?

    Just curious.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 04-21-2013 at 09:54 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  21. #121
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    We have limited number of people with limited training, and even more importantly, with very limited experience base.

    Sorry but I would not say that this is a "basic skill set" fire as it has possible extension into the structure. A standalone garage, yes.

    In fact if it was a standalone garage with no exposures, at this point it might be better for the homeowner to simply let it burn. I would in fact, likely ask them that so to make the cleanup easier for them, as all the contents are destroyed.
    Until the fire is knocked down on the grarge no one knows if the fire has extended into the home. Knock the garage down and have a look at the house. Cool down the sides of the house and go in and investigate the house. Get in the attic or pull the ceiling whatever you do. If it's in the house then it's time to go to plan B. To many people spend to much time going through the what if's, as a very smart man said put the fire out and most of your problems go away.

    Are you truthfully telling me that if you rolled up on this (seeing what we all see from one picture) with you and 4 green kids that you would right this home off?
    FyredUp likes this.

  22. #122
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    So you would just ignore the likely extension into the home?
    No, ignoring something sounds more your speed. This might be hard to wrap your mind around, but our guys actually ****ing fight fire....like they're fighting fire!
    FyredUp likes this.

  23. #123
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    So you would just ignore the likely extension into the home?

    Your 3 guys could handle that?

    And by the way who's commanding the incident and who's pumping the truck? If you have a tank of less than 1000g, who made your hydrant? Who's your relief or are they all good operating in August in 103 degrees and 60% humidity without relief?

    Just curious.
    I'll answer for how we would do it. Engine driver, captain, firefighter, volunteer (if happened to be one in the station) and a tanker driver. That will give us the magic 5 we are looking for. Engine drops anchor, captain is going to do a size up, firefighter and volunteer pulls a preconnect, and the tanker driver and engineer are getting set up to draft. (SEEING WHAT WE CAN FROM THIS PICTURE) They will make an attack on the garage, cooling off the house and car. The captain is going to be looking at the house as soon as he can get around the corner to look at it. He will have a pretty good idea from that look if he has extention into the home. Once the fire in the garage is knocked down the firefighter will contuine to work on the garage and the captain and volunteer will go in the house to check for extension. The captain retained command as he was in what we call fast attack mode.

    You have stated you would have more help coming as would most anyone else. So we have reached the point of more help arriving.

    And yes our guys can and do work in 103 degree heat and 60% humidity. We will a lot of the time go through 2 bottles before we get a break. It's called conditioning, having a phyiscal fitness program, and having yearly phyiscals.
    FyredUp and Chenzo like this.

  24. #124
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    You really believe that this fire would only take 5 members, including an IC and pump operator to control?

    I have no idea what the experience and training level of your members are, but no, there is no way that a mixed group of 5 of our people, on my VFD, could manage this fire and i wouldn't be stupid enough to try if that was all that I had.

    I have no issues in saying that.
    Now you know why many of us believe you have no business on this forum since it is called the "Firefighters Forum."

    Not the "Gasbag Pretend Firefighter Forum."
    FyredUp likes this.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  25. #125
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    So you would just ignore the likely extension into the home?

    Your 3 guys could handle that?

    And by the way who's commanding the incident and who's pumping the truck? If you have a tank of less than 1000g, who made your hydrant? Who's your relief or are they all good operating in August in 103 degrees and 60% humidity without relief?

    Just curious.
    The truck has 1000 gallons on it, and 2nd due will be there soon enough with more water. Engine operator would call the shots, which from this picture is cool that house off and put the garage out. One man on each crosslay.

    Last June we fought a fire in a 500 foot long chicken house for about two hours and it was 106 degrees when we rolled up. The humidity was higher than 60%, too.

    I'm not saying fighting it with 3 is preferred, I'm saying they could. We've got a damned good group of guys.
    Last edited by FF-Andy; 04-21-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    FyredUp likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 First ... 234567815 ... Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cal Fire Photo
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 04:40 PM
  2. Looking for photo of rare fire apparatus
    By blueeighty88 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 06:46 PM
  3. Now that is a nice fire photo...
    By CALFFBOU in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-31-2005, 11:55 PM
  4. New from Fire Photo
    By firephotonews in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register