Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Fire Attack photo

Forum Member

Default Fire Attack photo

Discuss what your FD would do in this situation...

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Futile? Yes, but you must appreciate the effort. Maybe this was in Bossier Parrish and the guy was desperately hoping to quell the fire before the FD and LA showed up to protect him and let his home burn down?
    Truck-10-VES likes this.

Forum Member

I believe that while this man is not short of guts, his method of attack could be better. For instance, he could have formed a packing house loop with that hose to be more comfortable during the extended firefight. Also, the neighbors garbage can lids would allow him to move in a little closer because it is obvious that he is beyond maximum effective reach.
    Chenzo likes this.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I believe that while this man is not short of guts, his method of attack could be better. For instance, he could have formed a packing house loop with that hose to be more comfortable during the extended firefight. Also, the neighbors garbage can lids would allow him to move in a little closer because it is obvious that he is beyond maximum effective reach.
    Thank you for the laugh.

Forum Member

Clearly the problem is that he is not wearing shorts with his flip flops.
    Picc.93Truck likes this.

Forum Member

At first I thought the car was on fire, but now I think the garage is involved. It does not look like the garage is attached so I figure one would stretch forward and try to keep it from spreading to the house. Maybe a deck gun from the engine on the street plus hand lines. Another pumper from the alley might be able to do some good. it looks like if the car becomes involved the exposure problem would be a tough one. Just guessing here.

Forum Member

Hopefully we saw the heavy smoke coming in and at least tagged a hydrant. If this was a single engine response for a car fire, get on the radio and fill out the tactical box (2 engines, 2 trucks, 1 squad or rescue company and one ambulance.) Two and a half bomb line right up the driveway and push it back into itself if its just a detached garage. Have the next due unit (doesnt matter what) make the hydrant connection and get us water.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

A deck gun and multiple lines? A 2 1/2"?

Not me.
    SFDCityFire likes this.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

He's using a fog stream. Everybody knows a straight stream is better...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    green or yellow garden hose? On a serious note -like conrad said -looks like a detached garage spreading to exposures. First line to the house on the left-exposure B (exterior) 2nd either to the right(expD) or behind the garage(exp C ) , depending on exposures , if manpower permits, pull a 2-1/2 to the main fire and reposition the first line to go inside exp A if needed.
    ?

Forum Member

and I guess I should say -open up the soffit and /or ceiling on the house
    ?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Well, on my #1 POC FD that would be a 2 inch pre-connect down the driveway to kill that fire and another inside the house to check for extension. On my #2 POC FD and my Career FD this would be a 1 3/4 down the driveway and another inside the house to check for extension.

Honestly, it looks spectacular from the end of the driveway but I don't think that is really much of a fire at this point.

I give the kid on the garden hose credit for trying to save the car. At least he is shielded by the house.
    Miller337 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Well, on my #1 POC FD that would be a 2 inch pre-connect down the driveway to kill that fire and another inside the house to check for extension. On my #2 POC FD and my Career FD this would be a 1 3/4 down the driveway and another inside the house to check for extension.

Honestly, it looks spectacular from the end of the driveway but I don't think that is really much of a fire at this point.

I give the kid on the garden hose credit for trying to save the car. At least he is shielded by the house.
    I'll buy all that except I think the garage is a goner and the possibly the car from heat damage.
    Last edited by Miller337; 04-14-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: What? Where?

Forum Member

I'll buy all that except I think the garage and the possibly the car from heat damage is a goner

Forum Member

Combo department ......

Most of the officers would pull 2 1 3/4" lines with one going to the front of the garage for direct attack and one going to knock down any exterior fire on the house and then going interior to work extenstion house. Most days manpower would not be an issue for that operation with on-duty manpower and responding volunteers.

As far as my response, I would order either a quick master stream attack on the garage switching to a 2 1/2" preconnect to first hot the exterior of the house then work the garage. After the fire has been knocked down I would likely wye it down to a smaller line and work the interior with Class A foam from a propack. I would also order a 1 3/4" line interior ... Yes, Interior .... to check for spread interior and support with additional manpower as required as it arrives.

Volunteer Department ......

Manpower resources are far more limited and fluctuate significantly, compared to the fairly constant response of my combo department.

Let's assume myself and four other initial responders plus the 5-man AMA response from the neighboring combo city department with probably an arrival time of about 5 minutes after our first-in engine.

Initial attack on the garage with one firefighter with the 100' 2 1/2" transistional line. Two members would be tasked to pull an 1 3/4", knock down exterior fire on the house and if their experience and training permit, go interior and do a rapid assessment. When the city crew arrives I would likely split them assigning 2 members to assist on operations in the garage and have three assist inside the structure.

The one advantage my volunteer department has vs. my combo is a 1500g vs. 1000g water tank on 3 of our 5 first-out engines, and a 5000g tanker second out (in most cases). Also the mutual aid engine is setup to flow Class A foam on multiple discharges at the same time, which is not a capability available to my combo department. I would have also called my combo department in mutual aid and assigned them as required on arrival.

In both cases I would also have the exterior crews open up the soffit, as one poster has mentioned, as it's likely fire penetrated that space.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

The guy in the flip flops, with the green line has everything under control.

Seriously though, my main objective would be to protect the house (exposure) and push the fire back to the garage. Garage and vehicle are toast.

Volunteer FD #1: Pull off 1 1/2" preconnect and proceed down the driveway to keep fire from spreading to house and then attack main body of fire.

Volunteer FD #2, pull off 1 3/4" preconnect and do same.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    I'll buy all that except I think the garage and the possibly the car from heat damage is a goner
    I won't disagree that the garage will be probably torn down. That doesn't change my mind about believing that a medium sized hoseline flowing 150 gpm or more can kill this fire pretty quick.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Most likely 1 3/4" preconnect to the fire, maybe a 2nd line for exposures. Doubtful we'd send anyone onto that roof.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    A deck gun and multiple lines? A 2 1/2"?

Not me.
    Me too!

Based on the limited view...........An 1-3/4" (we don't have 2") line head on as the initial line. Hit the far part of the D side of the house and then onto the main body of fire.

Sometimes the best way to "protect the exposure" is to not putz around and just put the damn fire out!
    FyredUp and DeputyChiefGonzo like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Sometimes the best way to "protect the exposure" is to not putz around and just put the damn fire out!
    Can I get a HELL YEAH!! Too often forgot in the tactical checklist world of command.
    fotowun likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post

Dittos on the dittos. My definition of protecting the exposure on this one is a few quick swipes on the side of the house, then on to the main body of the fire.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Ubiquitous smooth bore comment to follow...
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

I won't disagree that the garage will be probably torn down. That doesn't change my mind about believing that a medium sized hoseline flowing 150 gpm or more can kill this fire pretty quick.
    Grab a donut, you are I.C. I think you are spot on and have a good plan. It is simple to execute with very low risk and if it goes sideways there are lots of good options. 1 3/4 -2 will actually flow over 200 gpm if setup properly.

Forum Member

2 inch pre-connect down the driveway to kill that fire and another inside the house to check for extension.
    This. But depending what was on fire, and how much of it was burning when I got a better picture, I would consider using our Class-A foam system as well through the fire attack line only.

I would have a crew open up the soffit for investigation and depending what was found there, and what the crew inside found, possibly open the roof for further investigation.

I would also task a crew with a third 2" for exterior exposure protection, depending on what else is near the fire. My bet would be there is some sort of structure to the right of where the fire is in the picture, because that line of bushes looks like it could possibly be a divider between yards/driveways.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    Grab a donut, you are I.C. I think you are spot on and have a good plan. It is simple to execute with very low risk and if it goes sideways there are lots of good options. 1 3/4 -2 will actually flow over 200 gpm if setup properly.
    We have 200gpm at 75psi Elkhart nozzles on all of our lines except one. The other one has a 250gpm at 50psi Elkhart on it.

On both of our engines, the adjustable stream tip on our crosslays spin off and there is a 1 1/4" slug tip as well. The nozzles on our Pumper/Tanker crosslays spin and there is a 1 1/8" slug tip.

The 250 at 50 nozzle is on the bumper of our pumper/tanker, and is the only nozzle without a slug tip.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Thread Information