Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default FF1 Academy or Reserve Job?

I have a career question. I'm currently enrolled in a fire academy in CA which is set to end in June of this year. I have also been hired as a reserve firefighter, in CA.

The problem is my reserve academy starts in May. The department won't let me miss any weekends and neither will my academy. So I would have to choose between taking the job as a reserve firefighter or finishing my FF1 academy. Which should I choose? Reserve job or college academy?

I will eventually get my ff1 out of reserves and all certs. Plus get paid. Hands on exp. and it seems once I finish academy I'll still be looking for a reserve Job anyways. Advice is appreciated. Thanks.

SDL

Forum Member

why not full time???

should have said what is your five year, ten year goal in life??????????
    Last edited by fire49; 04-16-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Forum Member

Experience!!

Forum Member

My goal is a job as a full time firefighter. Hopefully pooled into full time through reserve program. But seriously wherever I can get hired. Already have EMT&experience working as an EMT.

Forum Member

I went through the same situation except I accepted my reserve position than eventually went through a Ff1 academy. Unless the reserve academy fulfills the requirements of a FF1 academy (hours, skills, etc) then I would finish the academy first. There is a difference between a FF1 Academy completion certificate and an actual FF1 Certificate.

Forum Member

Best thing is to get the minimum required to apply and then start testing every where and any where

Not a short process and unless very lucky multiple testing

Forum Member

The reserve job does fit ff1 requirements. So I'll get my actual ff1 from program.

Whereas with college course I'll only get the certificate.

Forum Member

I have a career question. I'm currently enrolled in a fire academy in CA which is set to end in June of this year. I have also been hired as a reserve firefighter, in CA.""

Are you in an a academy or college???

With the reserve how long will it take to get ff I II???

Forum Member

I'm in a college academy where I get the basic certs. The department wants me to take an in house academy that has conflicting dates.

Reserve might be better option because of experience and possibly getting hired full time. College might be better because of certs faster.

Dept will sign me off in at least a year for ff1 not sure for ff2.

What would you do?

Forum Member

Well if you are trying career dept. you should get the minimum requirements to apply in as many depts as possible as soon as possible

Then start applying and testing every where and any where.

Sounds like if you go reserve it will be two or more years before you get the certs required to apply at depts and then start testing. So you are maybe three years down the road before you might even get a job

Correct me if I am wrong

Forum Member

No, you're right. My only thing is it seems hard to pickup a reserve or any fire job anywhere and in calif you have all kinds of ppl with academies and no luck with jobs. So might be a great opportunity. Will seriously consider this. Have end of month to decide. I appreciate the advice.. Thanks

Forum Member

A lot of CA depts (especially smaller ones) ask specifically for an academy completion cert. Some require both, and some require one or the other. I would say having the academy completion will open up a lot of doors for applying, plus reserve programs tend to hire every year or so. Some even more often.

C41
    Forum Member

I would take the reserve spot no questions asked. I've been testing for 4 years now.....in my area it takes an average of 7 to get hired. I'm also seeing that reserve to career is an extremely viable path to a career in this field. Side question, is all your academy already paid for in full? The money saving from having a department pay for an academy can be good for a younger guy too!

Forum Member

My academy is paid in full and I am part-way through it. 2 months left. I will be able to get a partial refund should I withdraw. I talked to my cousin who went through same program and he said its a really good program and hard to get into.

I understand that getting academy completion cert will open more doors right away. This is a tough decision

Forum Member

So with where you are attending at now will you get your ff I and II??

How many hours would you work as a reserve

Forum Member

I will get ff1 & 2 from reserve program. It's two trainings a month and 24 hr minimum ride time a month + emergency call backs

Thread Information